What happened to Polley? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What happened to Polley?

Reaction Score
The tall skinny guys, including TL, need to hit the weight room. Maybe next year.
Do we even have a strength coach currently? Ollie's boy Carlos Daniel bailed on him in 2 months!! As you say, TL and Polley sorely need some more muscle on their frames but we don't even have a freakin strength coach. Am I wrong?

Reaction Score
Have you never watched CBB & Freshmen?

Do not expect the whiz of your internet chat get in the way of one of the Truths ... Freshmen are inconsistent. Ad infinitim

Polley has moments.
What moments exactly? Other than the hustle play diving on the floor I can't think of any the past 5 games.

Reaction Score
Have a feeling we`ll see another wave of transfers after the season. Of course this is all speculation but i can easily envision this team losing Jalen, Terry, Tyler, Whalley, Kwintin and Carlton.
So basically you take the 4 players who play the least and speculate they will transfer. Thanks for the amazing insight.

Reaction Score
What moments exactly? Other than the hustle play diving on the floor I can't think of any the past 5 games.

Troll

Look ... only in your Fantasy land of all 4 and 5 Star recruiting do teams get Just-graduated HS kids to produce. Particularly Bigs. Polley has had moments; Whaley too. I agree that they've kinda hit a wall. But we have to play them. And then like Arkansas ... which other than the 6-11 Gabbard had a bunch of guys who were JR SR JuCo. Temples playing well ... kids developed and Quinton Rose looks great (as a Sophomore). 350 Programs out of 360 depend on development. UConn has throughout the Calhoun era into the present.

Sometimes we had surprises. But often we saw a kid blossom 10-15 games on - Josh Boone.

Reaction Score
He looks completely lost on D and his shot has evaporated. He has regressed as the season has gone on.

In the beginning he looked like a pest on defense and had the anticipation to get deflections. You can also tell his teammates are not confident in him. They are freezing him out (a bit) on offense. They are constantly yelling at him on defense.

Sure he's a freshman. But at one point he looked competent. Now he looks inept.

Seems that Jalen yells at everyone

Reaction Score
Troll

Look ... only in your Fantasy land of all 4 and 5 Star recruiting do teams get Just-graduated HS kids to produce. Particularly Bigs. Polley has had moments; Whaley too. I agree that they've kinda hit a wall. But we have to play them. And then like Arkansas ... which other than the 6-11 Gabbard had a bunch of guys who were JR SR JuCo. Temples playing well ... kids developed and Quinton Rose looks great (as a Sophomore). 350 Programs out of 360 depend on development. UConn has throughout the Calhoun era into the present.

Sometimes we had surprises. But often we saw a kid blossom 10-15 games on - Josh Boone.
I'm no troll Charlie Brown. Another poster had told me you're a Richard, now I see why. Polley has killed the team recently, to the extent that he looks like he doesn't even belong out there. You said he has moments, other than the diving play can you name one other since the Oregon game? When he's throwing up bricks AND getting completely lost on defense, he has to ride the pine for a while.

Reaction Score
Repeat story: deer-in-headlights. No idea. Dah wha?

Not ready for this stage. Who selected these guys??

Reaction Score
We need Polley to contribute desperately so if he isn’t ready he better get ready. Otherwise we have 3 small guards out there together and no rebounding. I’m sorry he’s a freshman but at his size he’s our best bet to both score and rebound instead of another guard out there.

Reaction Score
I think what happened to Polley is pretty simple. Level of competition he is matching up with has increased the last couple weeks and he has lost some confidence in his game. He’s got the potential to be a solid contributor for this team down the road, but right now he is playing like an inexperienced borderline 4 star freshmen, which he is.
Yeah, it is partly this, but also this isn't practice these are games, and while he may not be reluctant in practice to be more aggressive, in game situations he is definitely deferring his potential offense to the veterans. This is killing his game I think, being hesitant, not decisive and aggressive, especially in halfcourt sets.

C

Chief00

Under the right coaching and work ethic Polley can be a solid 4 year piece. That said the staff desperately needs to add a top 50/100 player for next year. The overall talent on this team is not good.
Agreed, talent is needed.

C

Chief00

I'm no troll Charlie Brown. Another poster had told me you're a Richard, now I see why. Polley has killed the team recently, to the extent that he looks like he doesn't even belong out there. You said he has moments, other than the diving play can you name one other since the Oregon game? When he's throwing up bricks AND getting completely lost on defense, he has to ride the pine for a while.
Polley makes a mistake and then will shoot it the next time he touches the ball, because he knows he’s coming out. This results in bad shots.

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
Polley gets his chance today to shine, now that Larrier is out. The question is, will he rise to the occasion? Might be just the confidence boost he needs to get over the freshman doldrums.

Reaction Score
Richard Hamilton was a tall skinny freshman. Let's set that aside and talk about Polley.

Jim Calhoun said best thing about freshmen is they become sophomores. And Ollie, and a bunch of other coaches, have said that there are no freshman in January. So Polley should be better in January than he was October. He is being handed a great opportunity and as Herb Brooks said, great moments are born from great opportunity. It a perfect storm of great sports quotes.

Time for Polley to stop this weak arse stuff and step up. Tonight could go a long way toward bringing back the confident young man we saw early. How good would the nine points and four rebounds we saw against Colgate look? Or...

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I hope Polley comes in and lights it up. Hopefully seeing the 3-ball drop at the end of the Nova game was enough to spark the feeling again. Make it rain, young fella!!!

Reaction Score
Richard Hamilton was a tall skinny freshman. Let's set that aside and talk about Polley.

Jim Calhoun said best thing about freshmen is they become sophomores. And Ollie, and a bunch of other coaches, have said that there are no freshman in January. So Polley should be better in January than he was October. He is being handed a great opportunity and as Herb Brooks said, great moments are born from great opportunity. It a perfect storm of great sports quotes.

Time for Polley to stop this weak arse stuff and step up. Tonight could go a long way toward bringing back the confident young man we saw early. How good would the nine points and four rebounds we saw against Colgate look? Or...
Ray Allen wasn't exactly built like Labron either.

Reaction Score
Tyler has not been playing offense like he belongs out there. I think in practice he is probably plenty aggressive, but in game situations he puts his game to the side, and defers to the veterans too much. It's mostly mental. With Larrier being out, I'm hoping a switch went off in Tyler to be more confident that the team needs him to score, so he feels like he needs to open up his game. Be a little more selfish, drive to the rim, score, and draw fouls. Shoot the ball in his spots and play the game more freely. Tyler is the son of an NFL linebacker, and I am a big believer that toughness is in the genetics. He is going to continue to fill out and be a skilled physical force sooner or later, but time waits for no man. In the paper this morning he is quoted as saying "I am just waiting my turn, and my turn is now, so I've got to show out."
Husky Nation is watching man. Bleed Blue!
Bring it Tyler!

Reaction Score
Tyler has not been playing offense like he belongs out there. I think in practice he is probably plenty aggressive, but in game situations he puts his game to the side, and defers to the veterans too much. It's mostly mental. With Larrier being out, I'm hoping a switch went off in Tyler to be more confident that the team needs him to score, so he feels like he needs to open up his game. Be a little more selfish, drive to the rim, score, and draw fouls. Shoot the ball in his spots and play the game more freely. Tyler is the son of an NFL linebacker, and I am a big believer that toughness is in the genetics. He is going to continue to fill out and be a skilled physical force sooner or later, but time waits for no man. In the paper this morning he is quoted as saying "I am just waiting my turn, and my turn is now, so I've got to show out."
Bring it Tyler!
This is a side effect of Iso-hero ball. The psychology is all based on "make sure Jalen gets the ball after we waste 20 seconds at the top of the key moving the ball around in a token way. Until the other players are forced to feel like they must be offensive contributors and need to score rather than taking a few heave and hope shots, the ball doesn't move around well, the ball doesn't get pushed into low posts with good effect and the players don't move with a purpose to be ready to score.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Bring it Tyler!
Starting out the season he was my favorite new recruit. But his shortcoming is twofold imo. He lacks confidence which I believe he can overcome. He really gets lost on defense especially in transition. He's not freshman Kentan lost but bad enough to not have earned more playing time. But I loved his ability to deflect passes on the perimeter. I still have hopes he'll turn into a decent UConn player.

Besides I hate admitted rooting for the kid for fear of being call a Polly Anna.

Reaction Score
Look at that maybe Polley will come back after the season after all .. play with no fear and give Larrier a fist for being injured tonight lol

Reaction Score
If Polley could be counted on for 5+ points a game, that would help.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom