What happened to New England basketball? | The Boneyard

What happened to New England basketball?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Thinking back to the 90s, it's easy to come up with a list of 10 great college players who came out of New England. UConn obviously had a bunch -- Bascom, Lobo, Wolters, Sales, Rizzotti, R Williams, Berube, but also Jamila Wideman (Stanford), Cindy Blodgett (Maine), Nadine Domond (Iowa). Many of those were All-Americans, the rest were significant players.

What happened since?

It seems the talent has almost all-but-dried-up.

No one close to All-American.
Maria Conlon is the only one I can think of who is comparable to the above list. Maybe the current St John's player whose name escapes me.
Saona Chapman was a decent player at RU. The Valleys were ok too, though not on the level of the 90s players. I may be forgetting a player or two, but overall, quite a decline in talent.

Odd.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Yeah, good thing UConn's recruiting went nation/worldwide.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Bria Holmes would be considered by many to be on that level.

Reaction Score
Thinking back to the 90s, it's easy to come up with a list of 10 great players who came out of New England. UConn obviously had a bunch -- Bascom, Lobo, Wolters, Sales, Rizzotti, R Williams, Berube, but also Jamila Wideman (Stanford), Cindy Blodgett (Maine), Nadine Domond (Iowa). Many of those were All-Americans, the rest were significant players.

What happened since?

Maria Conlon is the only one I can think of who is comparable to the above list. Maybe the current St John's player whose name escapes me.
Saona Chapman was a decent player at RU. The Valleys were ok too, though not on the level of the 90s players. I may be forgetting a player or two, but overall, quite a decline in talent.

Odd.

Reaction Score
When I saw your post, I thought of Boston College. They had some really good and competitive teams when they were in the Big East. I have not been following them recently, so I am not familiar with the strength of their teams in the past few years.

Reaction Score
That's fair enough but coming out of high school she is #28 for Hoopgurlz.

There have been other top 20 HS players from New England (Buck, both Valleys). They have not been top 20 in college however.

Reaction Score
Thinking back to the 90s, it's easy to come up with a list of 10 great players who came out of New England. UConn obviously had a bunch -- Bascom, Lobo, Wolters, Sales, Rizzotti, R Williams, Berube, but also Jamila Wideman (Stanford), Cindy Blodgett (Maine), Nadine Domond (Iowa). Many of those were All-Americans, the rest were significant players.

What happened since?

Odd.
Conlon was not highly regarded coming out of hs and was really only a solid role player at uconn. Nobody wanted Walters including her fathers school BC. Rizzotti and Berube were considered solid kids, but in no way stars. You also forgot about Tracy Lis in the early days. Buck was probably rated higher than many of them. The girl from east catholic who went to BC then transfered to Southern CT was rated high as is the current kid from around there who I think is going to ST Johns. The holmes kid rated #28 is rated higher than probably 1/2 the players you mentioned above.

Reaction Score
Conlon was not highly regarded coming out of hs and was really only a solid role player at uconn. Nobody wanted Wolters including her fathers school BC. Rizzotti and Berube were considered solid kids, but in no way stars. You also forgot about Tracy Lis in the early days. Buck was probably rated higher than many of them. The girl from east catholic who went to BC then transfered to Southern CT was rated high as is the current kid from around there who I think is going to ST Johns. The holmes kid rated #28 is rated higher than probably 1/2 the players you mentioned above.

Perhaps I should've been clearer, I'm talking about players who had great college careers and were from NENG My point being that no one from the area has been successful at the next level in a long time.

Why is that?

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Not that this is the only explanation, but it raises an interesting question:

If UConn was currently in a position where it could only recruit locally, are there players over the last several years that Geno and CD could have developed into the stars Rizzotti and Wolters became despite not being considered blue chip high school players? Or was that a lightning in a bottle moment?

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Shamika Jackson was the East Catholic player who wound up at Southern Ct.....they won the national championship [D2] in one of her years there. Anyone know what she is doing? DC...any idea?

Reaction Score
Coach Auriemma has been critical of the youth basketball programs in New England; Basically stating that they were not conducive to developing top D-1 recruits. There does not appear an issue on the men's side.

Reaction Score
Coach Auriemma has been critical of the youth basketball programs in New England; Basically stating that they were not conducive to developing top D-1 recruits. There does not appear an issue on the men's side.

It's cyclical on the men's side. There was a long period where there weren't many good players from inside CT. Your top level guys were solid, like Craig Austrie, but that's it. Recently, though, there's been a resurgence.

Maybe its the same on the women's side.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Nicole Wolff was the McDonalds NPOY in high school and had a great start to her UConn career, but she was never the same after her injuries.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
It's cyclical on the men's side. There was a long period where there weren't many good players from inside CT. Your top level guys were solid, like Craig Austrie, but that's it. Recently, though, there's been a resurgence.

Maybe its the same on the women's side.
the talent on the men's side has always been there... its the grades, attitudes etc. (Doug Wiggins)

Farmington kid that went to ND
UConn alum nephew from Torrington went to Maryland

Reaction Score
Carolyn Swords of Boston College ( first team all ACC 2010 & 2011) who played her high school ball in MA and is now with the Chicago Sky, at 6'6" may yet develop into a better than average center.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom