What Geno accomplishment is least likely to be equalled? | The Boneyard

What Geno accomplishment is least likely to be equalled?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Think of all these accomplishments over geno's 31+ year tenure as head coach. Which is least likely to be met or exceeded?

90-game win streak: if UConn doesn't extend its active 75-game streak to 91, other programs would be hard-pressed even to get to 75.

Nine (and counting) Final Fours in a row- the previous record was five. You'd need a decade to double that previous record to set a new one. Anyone have a decade in them?

Four NCs in a row- it had never happened before over 45 years of season-ending tournaments, be they AIAW or NCAA; will it ever be done again?

One/two/three/four NCs in a row- no one is close to this either. UConn won one in a row ( that is, non-consecutive) in 1995 and 2000, two in a row in 2009 and 2010, three in a row in 2002/03/04, and four in a row 2013-16. I mean, it's tough enough to win as many NCs as Geno did, but to do it with a set of categories like this???

24 (and counting) NCAA tournament games in a row- the streak is active with the four NCs and will almost certainly extend to 25-30. Who else is touching that?

So, what do you think?

Btw, I didn't even mention the "highest lowest" single-game MOV of 11 in 2014.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
11 National Championships won't be matched and he may get a couple of more to extend his record.

I think I'm right in saying that Kim Mulkey and Tara VanDerveer are closest to Geno with 2 National Championships. Then you have Muffet McGraw, Brenda Frese, Sylvia Hatchell and Gary Blair who have one championship each. Will any of the aforementioned Coaches coach long enough to win 10 more Championships.

There's more parity in the game and I don't see another team having a stretch that UConn has had winning 6 Championships over the last 8 years.

Reaction Score
I think the consecutive Final Fours will be the hardest to duplicate, of the ones you listed...as you wrote, it would take a decade. Another team could win four consecutive championships (Tennessee almost accomplished that). But nine consecutive means sustaining excellence through entirely different rosters of players.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I don't know how many, but all his undefeated seasons. Don't think that will be matched. Not with the athletes getting better as these classes come in

Yes, that's a good one. Geno has six undefeated seasons (1995, 2002, 2009, 2010, 2014, 2016), whereas I can only think of five combined for everyone else (Immaculata 1973, La Tech 1981, Texas 1986, Tennessee 1998, Baylor 2012).

Reaction Score
I think I'm right in saying that Kim Mulkey and Tara VanDerveer are closest to Geno with 2 National Championships.
And doesn't the jacket-thrower also have a couple of rings as player and ass't coach? That's really impressive in a whole different way.

Reaction Score
It has been written---All Records Were Meant to Be Broken!! The two Geno records LEAST LIKELY to be broken in the near future are:

11 NCAA Championships 9 Consecutive Final 4s.

I wonder if there is a record for recruiting them most AA's in WBB??

HGN

Reaction Score
Final Fours are easier to achieve than NC's..........I think winning 11 NC's is going to be the hardest record to surpass for another coach.
And just think , Geno and CD are still setting and extending those records.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
I was thinking his 11-0 record in Championship Games. That to me is the most amazing. Two "best" teams in the country and you go 11-0? Geez.

This was my first thought. It's unreal to have an 11-game winning-streak in national championship games. He has an ark full of amazing accomplishments but, to me, this is tops. I can't think of anyone, in any (major) sport, that's close to this (in sports w/ multi-game series to decide titles, it would be the same as being 11-0 in deciding games of the championship series). Even Red Auerbach "only" won 9 titles. John Wooden was "only" 9-0.

Reaction Score
The record that I feel is the LEAST NECESSARY is the games played/ total number of wins. Those to me are just numbers and only says someone has coached a long long time it's just endurance. It compares poorly to the 11 NC or number of final 4's

Pat got those numbers because she coached a long time and early on before the NCAA when WBB teams were to say the least not very good Starting in the 90's women's BB teams began to get (excuse the sexism) as good as men in terms of athletic ability--and that has increased at an exponentially rapid rate.

Reaction Score
Yes, although slim there is a possibility! In the WBB world where the young ladies stay 4 even 5 years it is still possible to have a team recruiting a "Fabulous Five" a la Michigan and then go on a roll winning 4 or more championships, long winning streaks passing 90 games and so forth. But the odds are against it.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Have to agree, while its unlikely a coach will win 11 National Championships, don't think another coach will go 11-0 in National Championship Games. Kim Mulkey is currently 2-0. As successful as Kim has been, she's only been to 3 F4's in last 11 years and they've been loaded with talent during this time period. Meanwhile Stanford and Notre Dame have been to 5 F4's in same time period. Kim has won 2 National Championships, while Stanford and ND hasn't :)

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
LOL,, All of those records will be broken, But By Geno Auriemma himself, you just watch and see.. :)
Love it. Keep talkin' man.

Geno's NCAA record of 11 championships will be the hardest. After all, he isn't finished quite yet. What if he gets three or four more? Hard to beat. Nevertheless all of these records mentioned are really daunting for any coach with aspirations toward being the GOAT. To me though the record (again, unfinished) of 24 consecutive NCAA wins is just mind boggling. Unmentioned though is his record of 21, 30 win seasons. Incredible.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
How many years has it been since Uconn has lost two games in a row?That record is already out of sight so wherever that ends up may be just about impossible to match.
March 1993. Last season, I counted the number of games. It's 23 full seasons, so the number must be roughly 900. Our schedule this season may put that in jeopardy. I hope not.

Reaction Score
11 National Championships won't be matched and he may get a couple of more to extend his record.

I think I'm right in saying that Kim Mulkey and Tara VanDerveer are closest to Geno with 2 National Championships. Then you have Muffet McGraw, Brenda Frese, Sylvia Hatchell and Gary Blair who have one championship each. Will any of the aforementioned Coaches coach long enough to win 10 more Championships.

There's more parity in the game and I don't see another team having a stretch that UConn has had winning 6 Championships over the last 8 years.
How about 11/11 in NC championship games?

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
Love it. Keep talkin' man.

Geno's NCAA record of 11 championships will be the hardest. After all, he isn't finished quite yet. What if he gets three or four more? Hard to beat. Nevertheless all of these records mentioned are really daunting for any coach with aspirations toward being the GOAT. To me though the record (again, unfinished) of 24 consecutive NCAA wins is just mind boggling. Unmentioned though is his record of 21, 30 win seasons. Incredible.
uconn-banners.jpg

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
What Geno accomplishment is least likely to be equalled?

Here's one: Having the same (excellent) top assistant coach on the bench with you from the get-go, AND having that partnership produce 11 championships.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
This was my first thought. It's unreal to have an 11-game winning-streak in national championship games. He has an ark full of amazing accomplishments but, to me, this is tops. I can't think of anyone, in any (major) sport, that's close to this (in sports w/ multi-game series to decide titles, it would be the same as being 11-0 in deciding games of the championship series). Even Red Auerbach "only" won 9 titles. John Wooden was "only" 9-0.

To even think about the 11-0 NC record, a coach would have to wade through the NCAA Tournament competition (five straight wins -- including Sweet Sixteen, Elite Eight, Final Four and semi-final) just to get on the court for an NC game. To do this once or twice is daunting.

Now think about replicating it ten more times. OK, now you're eligible to go for Geno's 11-0 record in NC games -- and win every single time!. It's as impossible as Cy Young's 500+ wins as a MLB pitcher. Or more so.

Now when Geno hits the plateau of 1,000+ games without losing two in a row, the Guinness Book will cease publication.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom