What former UConn big (their best season) would you bring back for this team? Stewie excluded! | Page 3 | The Boneyard

What former UConn big (their best season) would you bring back for this team? Stewie excluded!

Reaction Score
Stef Dolson is not fast, not a leaper or shot blocker or great defender. She's a wide body who I still don't think would stop someone like Cardoza. Yes Kara was not fast but her size matches up and she could keep other bigs off the board. Dolson, who I really liked was not a national player of the year candidate.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Stef Dolson is not fast, not a leaper or shot blocker or great defender. She's a wide body who I still don't think would stop someone like Cardoza. Yes Kara was not fast but her size matches up and she could keep other bigs off the board. Dolson, who I really liked was not a national player of the year candidate.

Stef was the 2014 WBCA Defensive Player of the Year.

Reaction Score
This would be a tough decision! Do you go with Stef, the all around skill set with enough bulk to battle Betts and Cardoso? Perhaps Kiah, the defensive wizard as we have plenty of offense. Wolters? Tina Charles, perhaps the greatest big of all?
I guess I’d have to go with Tina.
This team is full of talent. Post defense, apologies to Edwards--size for size she is great. But Size you can't teach. Dolson is absolutely one choice.
However on Defense--there is only one---Kiah Stokes. She didn't swat ALL balls in row 35--she blocked and kept the ball. Few terrific driving/shooting guards--scored on her. STOKES--would make this the top team in America and an NC winner.

Reaction Score
Fight fire with fire Kara was 6'7" and national player of the year. That is the missing piece on THIS team.
Different game different speed, lots of running--this is a FAST team--different era. By half time they'd need oxygen on the bench.
I'd pick Tamika Williams, for her high shot-making percentage. No more missed bunnies with her beneath the basket!
Aah Tamika--she scores 60 percent ---who wouldn't directly under the basket? (paraphrasing Geno)
As great as Tina is, I’d go with Dolson for this team. Dolson played better at the high-low game and was essentially a 6’5 point guard when she had the ball at the high post. She had a good midrange shot (as did Tina), was like a wall when screening, and won defensive player of the year for a reason, too. Exactly the kind of post player UConn could use during any season.

There’s a reason Geno once said if he could coach 10 Stefanie Dolsons he’d coach forever.
Stef came out of a school in upstate rural NY. She was NOT experienced. On her first or second game in a real season--she got stuck guarding Griner--and did a wonderful job on her. That one game established Dolson--and she got better. She was hated by ND--she could stop them--they couldn't stop her.

Reaction Score
She was a wing not a post
Nobody said post, just big. Svetlana is 6'2, as tall as many of the others mentioned, and one of the most talented players ever at Connecticut (Auriemma mentions her quite often).

Reaction Score
Nobody said post, just big. Svetlana is 6'2, as tall as many of the others mentioned, and one of the most talented players ever at Connecticut (Auriemma mentions her quite often).
The post is about matching up with 6'7" Betts or Cordosa. Who is built to keep them off the boards and control the paint. Charles and Walters are the only two with the size and strength. Stef is also big but I don't think she knocks players around like the other two. Lobo is tall enough and of course she would force other bigs to defend way out of the paint.

Reaction Score
There are a lot of fine answers here. But Maya imo is the best choice.
She is arguably the greatest wcbb ever. She averaged nearly 9 rebounds a game one year. So no one can argue about her tougness. She was a leader that lost-- what?; -- a total of 6 games if that for her entire career? And she was a leader. No "style" from the other team ever affected her game.

You put her with Paige -- and every other team is -- "done." Though ofc as mentioned above many fine answers. Put Tina or Stef for example -- -- "done" too. But with Maya - UCONN could still play thier game. UCONN would't be forced to play "A bigs game." That's what would happen when you put two super elite player's together in which they compliment one another as well.
The question was ... what former UConn BIG. Maya is 6'0 and although a fabulous player, she isn't a BIG. :D

Reaction Score
Tina ... no question about it! Although at 6'3 she isn't really considered a BIG either!

Reaction Score
The question was ... what former UConn BIG. Maya is 6'0 and although a fabulous player, she isn't a BIG. :D
I believe if you are averaging near 9 rebounds a game and playing the PF spot (which Maya was) and end up winning titles, you're "big enough" to be considered ":a big." And I had indicated previously I'd keep Edwards at the 5.

Reaction Score
I believe if you are averaging near 9 rebounds a game and playing the PF spot (which Maya was) and end up winning titles, you're "big enough" to be considered ":a big." And I had indicated previously I'd keep Edwards at the 5.
Relax, I was just teasing you. Did you not notice the BIG GRIN? :D

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom