What Everyone Seems to Be Forgetting (Everyone READ!) | The Boneyard

What Everyone Seems to Be Forgetting (Everyone READ!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

g_smith

made my username before I noticed the UConn theme
Reaction Score
Let's all get out a glass of water and take a reality pill.

Here is a summary of the problems/obstacles the program has faced the past 4 years. Here is why we should not be angry right now.

1.) APR sanctions - first off, this limited our number of scholarship players for a few years. I don't know these terms exactly but the original APR sanctions, but under Calhoun, these original sanctions prevented us from having a full roster of scholarships (including the year Drummond was here, 2011-2012).
2.) APR sanctions PART 2 - we were not allowed in the tournament last year - not only did this force us to lose Alex Oriakhi, Roscoe Smith, and Michael Bradley, but the uncertainty of this significantly altered the team and affected recruiting.
3.) Speaking of recruiting, Calhoun's health during the 2011-12 year where he missed a bunch of games, leading right up to the start of the 12-13 season was a huge uncertainty for recruits. I would bet we lost recruits all over during this time.
4.) Boatright faced sanctions on & off at the start of the 2011-12 season leaving us at a point where we were playing Brendan Allen on the floor. That's right, a year after a national championship, we were playing a walk-on point guard. That shows how much we were hurting even before we lost AO, RS, and MB.
5.) CONFERENCE RE-ALIGNMENT - wow. This is a huge category. Think of all the woes conference re-alignment has caused us. Recruiting definitely and a little bit our sanity. I know for sure some of my happiness with the sport. This is not over and we are still looking forward hoping for the B1G.
6.) Kevin Ollie has been our head coach for only 2 years and look what he has done already. But he is still a very young coach.
6.) And for the grand finale, we lost Wolf last year, with his domestic dispute (which at least in my opinion was actually not that severe), but damage done, we lost a big man when we definitely could not much afford to do so.

All of that considered, we finished with a record of 27-7 total and 12-6 in the conference which had 5 ranked teams, us included. That is impressive!!

I think a lot of us are starstruck and lost when we think of the state of the program. Without Kemba Walker, this team would be without a NC for almost 10 years. We would be even more in a state of disarray than we currently are. Without Kemba's never-before-done fight for a national championship, we are likely a mess. But he left us one man who could carry us through these times, though, and that man is Shabazz Napier.

Without Shabazz, not only are we a mess, we are off the map. We are a mid-major NIT joke at best. He is the Godsend to this program at a time we could not need it more. Shabazz has gifted us the chance to stay relevant in the coming years. He built the bridge to our future.

In that future comes the basketball development center and hope for the B1g. We all hope Bob Diaco, we can all hope that he can carry our football team out of irrelevance. We know Kevin Ollie works tirelessly towards his building of the program. But without Shabazz, this is not possible. We should really appreciate this kid for everything he has done and let's really hope for his success in the draft. As it stands now, even with no tournament wins whatsoever, his massive impact has been made here and it will be felt for years for come.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Without Kemba Walker, this team would be without a NC for almost 10 years.
You want to know how great it is to be a UConn fan?

You say these words - it would be 10 whole years without a banner - and it sounds almost ominous. THANK GOD we got that 2011 win. Whew. Would have been 10 years without a banner.

336 DI teams have gone 10 years without a banner, and it seems normal to them, I'm sure.

"Damn it feels good to be a Husky." Geto Boys.

Reaction Score
I like it..I've been too lazy to write my "Kemba saved the program post," that I've been thinking about for a while, but it is true and goes without saying. Kemba saved the program. And you're right that Shabazz has put down the bridge to the future, which we are now seeing the benefits of (2015 recruiting class for example). There is a lot to be thankful for. Things aren't where we want them to be but they could be much much worse..and who knows, if we hit outside shots again, this time could be a legit E8 squad or more perhaps...gotta keep Brimah out of foul trouble though!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Go take your rationality and positivity somewhere else!
Yeah, what was he thinking? Hang him!

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
You say these words - it would be 10 whole years without a banner - and it sounds almost ominous. THANK GOD we got that 2011 win. Whew. Would have been 10 years without a banner.
336 DI teams have gone 10 years without a banner, and it seems normal to them, I'm sure.

I'm also mystified that our 2009 Final Four has basically been whitewashed by a large majority of people on this board. It happened. I know it's not a NC, but it's a pretty damn good result.

Reaction Score
I'm also mystified that our 2009 Final Four has basically been whitewashed by a large majority of people on this board. It happened. I know it's not a NC, but it's a pretty damn good result.
Until 1999. The dream of UConn fans was the final Four. You really can't think NC if you've never been there.
It took a HOF coach 15 years to get us there. Now we blow that off likes it's nothing.
The bar has been set very high.. Only at UK,Duke,UNC,Kansas,and possibly UI is the bar set so high. I didn't even add teams like Ville,Cuse,and UCLA.

g_smith

made my username before I noticed the UConn theme
Reaction Score
Until 1999. The dream of UConn fans was the final Four. You really can't think NC if you've never been there.
It took a HOF coach 15 years to get us there. Now we blow that off likes it's nothing.
The bar has been set very high.. Only at UK,Duke,UNC,Kansas,and possibly UI is the bar set so high. I didn't even add teams like Ville,Cuse,and UCLA.

Yea that's an interesting point too. We seem to have the same expectations as the biggest schools even though we aren't really part of that "elite" group that EPSN never stops fan-girling over. We are our own breed. And we set the bar high.

Reaction Score
Let's all get out a glass of water and take a reality pill.

Here is a summary of the problems/obstacles the program has faced the past 4 years. Here is why we should not be angry right now.

1.) APR sanctions - first off, this limited our number of scholarship players for a few years. I don't know these terms exactly but the original APR sanctions, but under Calhoun, these original sanctions prevented us from having a full roster of scholarships (including the year Drummond was here, 2011-2012).
2.) APR sanctions PART 2 - we were not allowed in the tournament last year - not only did this force us to lose Alex Oriakhi, Roscoe Smith, and Michael Bradley, but the uncertainty of this significantly altered the team and affected recruiting.
3.) Speaking of recruiting, Calhoun's health during the 2011-12 year where he missed a bunch of games, leading right up to the start of the 12-13 season was a huge uncertainty for recruits. I would bet we lost recruits all over during this time.
4.) Boatright faced sanctions on & off at the start of the 2011-12 season leaving us at a point where we were playing Brendan Allen on the floor. That's right, a year after a national championship, we were playing a walk-on point guard. That shows how much we were hurting even before we lost AO, RS, and MB.
5.) CONFERENCE RE-ALIGNMENT - wow. This is a huge category. Think of all the woes conference re-alignment has caused us. Recruiting definitely and a little bit our sanity. I know for sure some of my happiness with the sport. This is not over and we are still looking forward hoping for the B1G.
6.) Kevin Ollie has been our head coach for only 2 years and look what he has done already. But he is still a very young coach.
6.) And for the grand finale, we lost Wolf last year, with his domestic dispute (which at least in my opinion was actually not that severe), but damage done, we lost a big man when we definitely could not much afford to do so.

All of that considered, we finished with a record of 27-7 total and 12-6 in the conference which had 5 ranked teams, us included. That is impressive!!

I think a lot of us are starstruck and lost when we think of the state of the program. Without Kemba Walker, this team would be without a NC for almost 10 years. We would be even more in a state of disarray than we currently are. Without Kemba's never-before-done fight for a national championship, we are likely a mess. But he left us one man who could carry us through these times, though, and that man is Shabazz Napier.

Without Shabazz, not only are we a mess, we are off the map. We are a mid-major NIT joke at best. He is the Godsend to this program at a time we could not need it more. Shabazz has gifted us the chance to stay relevant in the coming years. He built the bridge to our future.

In that future comes the basketball development center and hope for the B1g. We all hope Bob Diaco, we can all hope that he can carry our football team out of irrelevance. We know Kevin Ollie works tirelessly towards his building of the program. But without Shabazz, this is not possible. We should really appreciate this kid for everything he has done and let's really hope for his success in the draft. As it stands now, even with no tournament wins whatsoever, his massive impact has been made here and it will be felt for years for come.

Excuses.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
Personally, I don't really like thinking about it because while a Final Four is certainly great, I always end up thinking what could have been with a healthy Dyson.

Wow I actually just looked at the box score from that game and Kemba went 3-9 from the line

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Personally, I don't really like thinking about it because while a Final Four is certainly great, I always end up thinking what could have been with a healthy Dyson.

Wow I actually just looked at the box score from that game and Kemba went 3-9 from the line

Yeah the guards did not perform in that game against MSU. With a healthy Dyson, things could have been different definately. UConn was playing like the best team and really took it to LVille (@ Ville) in a game in Feb.

RoderickSpode

7th Earl of Sidcup
Reaction Score
The 2009 UConn team was a force with Dyson in the lineup, and still pretty good without him. That win at Louisville was nothing short of dominant, and I believe Louisville was a one seed that year.

Reaction Score
The 2009 UConn team was a force with Dyson in the lineup, and still pretty good without him. That win at Louisville was nothing short of dominant, and I believe Louisville was a one seed that year.
One of three Big East 1 seeds. And there were four Big East Elite 8 teams...and two Final Four teams. It was a special year for the league.

RoderickSpode

7th Earl of Sidcup
Reaction Score
Oh yeah, that Pitt-Nova elite 8 game was a classic. Pitt was our white whale that season.

Reaction Score
Oh yeah, that Pitt-Nova elite 8 game was a classic. Pitt was our white whale that season.
Right, and I think Pitt could have really taken it to UNC. Probably would have been the one team (once Dyson went down) that could have beaten them.

I still think we would have made it more of a game than MSU did. They didn't have the perimeter defenders to slow down AJ and Kemba that MSU had, and Hansborough would have struggled against our interior--he had never seen a player like Thabeet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom