What does UConn women’s basketball mean to people in Connecticut? | The Boneyard

What does UConn women’s basketball mean to people in Connecticut?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Fans share their stories of the legendary program -

Kathleen Crewdson was supposed to be getting a massage. That was how she had planned it, anyway. Then UConn announced a send-off celebration for its Final Four-bound Huskies women’s basketball team at noon Tuesday, leaving Crewdson to tear up her schedule. Now she and her wife Alice O’Donovan were standing in 45-degree cold outside Gampel Pavilion waiting for Napheesa Collier, Katie Lou Samuelson and the rest of the UConn team to emerge from the building.

“The girls deserve the attention,” said Crewdson, who received Final Four tickets for her recent 70th birthday. “Yes it’s year No. 12 [of consecutive Final Four appearances], but it’s still a big deal every year.” Crewdson and O’Donovan were two of several hundred fans gathered Tuesday to cheer on the Huskies as they embark for Tampa. They’re also two of the tens of thousands of Connecticut residents who have grown to adore Geno Auriemma’s program over its 25-run of women’s hoops dominance.

[Article]

Reaction Score
Not just loved within Conn. Have moved around all parts of the US 8 times, and with the possible exception of Notre Dame, UConn is that only women's program with any type of brand image. Tenn. was well known but that was almost a generation ago.

Reaction Score
Geno said something recently that I've never heard him say before. He said that he was very proud that so many people count on UConn's wb team for their enjoyment. This was in response to hearing that a 100 year old fan had traveled to Albany for the regional championship. He was touched. "Who is that person? asked Coach, "I want to send him something." What a great guy.

Reaction Score
UConn mbb and especially wbb has kept me entertained during the long winter months. I first saw the wbb when Meghan Pattinson was playing. They weren’t on Tv much those days. I lost track of them for awhile maybe to ‘95 the 1st championship run. I hope that I can continue to watch the gals on Tv next year.

Reaction Score
I was at the blizzard game. Lived in Providence at the time. Saw the forecast a few days before and got a hotel room. Given my financial situation at the time, it was a major splurge, but they mean that much to me. Went to the Philly final four, too. When I first started watching, the team could have been my younger sisters, then daughters and these days they could be granddaughters. Crazy that these kids I don’t know and will never meet have been such a big part of my life.

Reaction Score
The success of the athletic department motivated people in the state to develop UConn into the best regional public school.

The campus looked North Korean in the mid 90s.

Reaction Score
Sure there are all those and National Championships, but what I love most about this UConn program is the love and loyalty of the alumni, past players who keep coming back year after year to UConn. They played with passion and the right way. They are the best UConn ambassadors for the world!!!

Reaction Score
When the FF was in Denver I was working a trade show. I snuck out and bought tickets on the street to the semifinal. Unfortunately they lost to ND that year. I almost lost my job in the process, but it was worth it.

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
It’s the best thing that Connecticut has going for it right now. We are SO proud of their continual excellence in all aspects.

Welllll, that and of course
1554385959345.png

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom