What does UCONN, China and B1G have in common? | The Boneyard

What does UCONN, China and B1G have in common?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElGuapo

What does that mean, in-famous?
Reaction Score
This is a stretch but all of the little things like this seem to be pointing to something.

A nice article in today's HC about helping Chinese students at UCONN adapt to American ways and crossing the cultural divide.
Then it takes a left turn talking about the B1G and what member schools there are doing.
Not ACC or anybody else.

More interestingly it is a Associated Press article (written by Hartford areas correspondent) so hopefully it gets picked up elsewhere and people associate us more with those other peer institutions.

http://www.courant.com/education/hc-uconn-chinese-students-0930-20150929-story.html

Reaction Score
There seems to be zero -- zero -- doubt that Herbst is trying to make us look very much like a Big Ten flagship research based cutting-edge state university. And is being very successful in doing so.

Will that be enough to get us into the Big before it's too late? Who knows and there are no guaranties. But the worst case is that UConn will be a better state university and resource to the rest of the state even if it doesn't work athletically.

Reaction Score
Ladies & Boneyard Gentleman

The new game - far beyond football - is Global rankings. All the B1G schools are targeting this. I think 11 of them are in the top 50.

What's going on?

US demographics flatten in HS soon. Global University students go from 165 million to 267 million in 2024. The importance of education, probably the U.S. greatest product & export, is ever greater. All the top schools think this is a high priority. Plus Privates like NYU, USC & the DC schools.

The Unicersity of Illinois has 5000 Chinese with extensive programs for orientation (in China) and community in Champaign. This is one reason we should see the B1G differently. It's definition of Conference is broader. UConn is aiming for this BEYOND football.

Reaction Score
Saw that the Pew Research report stated that 88% of future population growth will be due to immigrants and their offspring.

"After the replacement of the nation’s European-focused origin quota system, greater numbers of immigrants from other parts of the world began to come to the U.S. Among immigrants who have arrived since 1965, half (51%) are from Latin America and one-quarter are from Asia. By comparison, both of the U.S. immigration waves in the mid-19th century and early 20th century consisted almost entirely of European immigrants."

The US culture will shift accordingly.

Reaction Score
Me. I rule the Middle Kingdom in a really B1G way. Good article, and reasonable insights for people less familiar with the mainland culture. Go UCONN!

Reaction Score
Glad UCONN is finally getting more involved getting more Chinese students. It can only help the future. My other alma mater Santa Clara U been doing this for years. They even go as far as the following:

At Santa Clara, officials drive to the airport for pickups and drop-offs of Chinese students. They help them set up bank accounts and take them to Walmart and Target. They help them practice asking questions in class and the assertiveness skills that are critical for American academic success.

http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_16994633

Chinese students face cultural shock when they first show up in the USA. It is important to make them comfortable so they can go back to China and share their experience. It can only help get more students here. I think having more people understand American culture and vice versa can only help making the world a better place for all. Hopefully, it will help avoid future conflicts as well.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
If you happen to visit Harvard or Yale it's amazing to see the tour busses full of Chinese / Chinese-American families - often with little kids - that come to tour the campus. I wonder if their tourist itiniery is 1) New York - Statue of Liberty, Broadway, Columbia 2) New Haven - Yale ... Mystic Seaport 3) Providence - Brown 4) Boston - Fanieul Hall, Bunker Hill, MIT, Harvard. I can just imagine the parents saying "If you want to get into this school in 2026, you have to study for your Math and English class now!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom