What does it take for Boatright to be made a Husky of Honor? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What does it take for Boatright to be made a Husky of Honor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just for fun, if Boatright does have the 1st team All-American type of season, let's look at past Huskies who have been Consensus First Team All-Americans, all of which are included in the Huskies of Honor. It seems like at least 600 points is necessary:

Donyell Marshall (1994) - 855 points
Ray Allen (1996) - 818 points
Richard Hamilton (1999) - 732 points
Emeka Okafor (2004) - 635 points
Kemba Walker (2011) - 965 points
Shabazz Napier (2014) - 720 points

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
A very good season, all AAC and most importantly: a diploma.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Just for fun, if Boatright does have the 1st team All-American type of season, let's look at past Huskies who have been Consensus First Team All-Americans, all of which are included in the Huskies of Honor. It seems like at least 600 points is necessary:

I don't think I want Boat to his 700pts. I think we're worse off that way. Boat can't be Shabazz. Bazz was our #1 option. I'm not sure that's Boat's best role this year (not an insult). Maybe he will be that, but I'd like Boat to be the captain of the ship and have somebody like Purvis be the number 1 option.

Reaction Score
I told Boat at one of the football games that I wanted to see his name "up on on the wall " at seasons end....so you know what that means.....AA status.

He agreed with me.

I also asked him if he was ready to make another NC run....he smiled and said to me 'See you in Indianapolis"

Don't bet against Boat.....He is a warrior.

Reaction Score
Let's see him improve like he did last year then see where it puts him. The kid is actually being asked to be "the man" his senior year and change his philosophy a bit so let's see how he does there. The slight change may not allow him to put up All American numbers but could propel him deep into Husky lore no matter. Not sure he's a "wall" guy but if he has a solid or great senior year we as fans have our own wall, and he'll forever be in it.

Reaction Score
Let's see him improve like he did last year then see where it puts him. The kid is actually being asked to be "the man" his senior year and change his philosophy a bit so let's see how he does there. The slight change may not allow him to put up All American numbers but could propel him deep into Husky lore no matter. Not sure he's a "wall" guy but if he has a solid or great senior year we as fans have our own wall, and he'll forever be in it.

I think the AA requirement isn't needed.

IMO guys like Caron, Scheffer, KFree ,Boat are wall guys " regardless of AA status or not. Boa(and Shabazz)t could have left and didn't . Stayed and won a NC no less-to me that speaks volumes. There should at least be a warrior wall-with KFree and Boat leading the charge :)

IMO they belong up there. And I'll remember their careers and accomplishments more so than Rudy.

Reaction Score

How was Butler not?

Reaction Score
There's Husky of Honor status (formal, with capital H's, hanging on the wall) and Husky of honor status (informal, lower case h), which we can say means beloved/fondly remembered by our fan base. There are a lot of guys in both categories, of course, but there are the Ricky Moores, Kevin Freemans, Rashad Andersons, Nadav Henefelds, Lyman DePriests, etc who will always be in the lower case h category. Ricky doesn't have to be on no stinkin' wall after 1999. I think Boat earned his lower case h last year (following the Ricky path of being maligned for a while - then playing his way into beloved status).

There's a risk of playing your way out, which has happened to a few guys like Boone and Oriakhi - perhaps Lamb and Burrell (his senior year). Sticks maybe went in as a junior and out as his senior year unravelled. Donyell unfairly lost his lower case h with a lot of people in a span of 10 seconds. MW fairly lost his with many in June.

I think Boat will stay in as long as he plays with the same heart and leaves it all out there trying to repeat, but there's a risk. If we have a bad year where we feel rudderless, it'll fall on him and he'll be held to the Kemba/Bazz legacy standard. I'd like to think time will allow him to keep his lower case h no matter what - he stuck with the program through dark times, transformed into Ricky to get us #4 (and transformed into Khalid on a big possession), really matured before our eyes, etc. But we are a fickle lot.

Only Oriakhi played himself off out of the ones you mentioned, in my opinion.

Reaction Score
How was Butler not?
I'm trying to wrap my head around that, too. Started looking up the All-American teams in 2001 and 2002. The only All-American accolade that Butler ever received was being named to the second-team by Sporting News in 2002. He got honorable mention from the AP. Wow.

Here are the 2002 consensus 1st teams and 2nd teams, per Wikipedia:

First Team
Dan Dickau (Gonzaga)
Juan Dixon (Maryland)
Drew Gooden (Kansas)
Steve Logan (Cincinnati)
Jason Williams (Duke)

Second Team
Sam Clancy (Southern California)
Mike Dunleavy, Jr. (Duke)
Casey Jacobsen (Stanford)
Jared Jeffries (Indiana)
David West (Xavier)

Reaction Score
If you ask me, when Boatright graduates in May, his number should go right next to Shabazz's on the Gampel wall.

Disagree, unless he leads us to a national championship this year. Kemba and Shabazz are the only 2 to be instantly inducted and I don't think it should become a common practice.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I think the AA requirement isn't needed.

IMO guys like Caron, Scheffer, KFree ,Boat are wall guys " regardless of AA status or not. Boa(and Shabazz)t could have left and didn't . Stayed and won a NC no less-to me that speaks volumes. There should at least be a warrior wall-with KFree and Boat leading the charge :)

IMO they belong up there. And I'll remember their careers and accomplishments more so than Rudy.

Caron was second team AA too. One of, if the THE, most dominant SF/PFs* in UCONN history.

*nb: not comparing Hamilton who I consider G/SF; diff type of player

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Disagree, unless he leads us to a national championship this year. Kemba and Shabazz are the only 2 to be instantly inducted and I don't think it should become a common practice.

I know why your saying that, and sentimentally, I agree, but I'd like to see it become the usual. Only because if you are going to honor the kid, it would be nice to do it while he's still in school (present on campus), and with his current teammates. Getting to actually feel and experience the respect/adulation of the student body and his teammates is an honor in and of itself.

I also think effectively 'separating' guys on the Huskies of Honor is creating another unnecessary tier and somewhat diminishes other guys accomplishments.

Reaction Score
I agree. Boat's judgement in the past has often been lacking. He improved on it a little last year. He needs to really improve on it this year and have a big season to have a shot at the wall.

Reaction Score
Caron was second team AA too. One of, if the THE, most dominant SF/PFs* in UCONN history.

*nb: not comparing Hamilton who I consider G/SF; diff type of player

I know that Caron was a AA.
Meant THESE GUYS BELONG AA status or NOT(MEANING if AA great if not still belong).....just saying they all belong up there.

Reaction Score
Win in the NCAA Championship and be conference POTY.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I love Boat and how hard he worked to get his game under control. His performance in the NCAA tourney last year was key to our victory.
But this whole conversation is just premature in my opinion.
I hope he has a great season and earns it. But he is not a husky of honor based on his 3 years.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I know that Caron was a AA.
Meant THESE GUYS BELONG AA status or NOT(MEANING if AA great if not still belong).....just saying they all belong up there.

I was just adding to what you were saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom