What do you think will be UConn's biggest strengths and Weaknesses? | The Boneyard

What do you think will be UConn's biggest strengths and Weaknesses?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
While posting in an other thread about Drummond and Daniels, I began to think, how in the world can this team with so much talent not end up one of the top teams this coming season. Other than the questions surrounding how to replace what Kemba gave us, which was substantial, they seem poised to improve in just about every area. Where to start? How about the D...

Perimeter Defense - I'd say Kemba was solid defensively, but not great. He was rarely put on one of the top perimeter scorers, but he rarely made mistakes during the final stretch of his senior season. During that tough stretch leading into the BE, Napier and Lamb really struggled keeping quick physical guards out of the paint, which opened up some deep shots for the opposition. UL in particular shredded our perimeter D. Once the BET began, our guards and bigs played some of the best help D I've seen in years. A stronger Lamb and Napier, along with the speedy Boatright and long Daniels, has most of the parts to be just as effective, if not better.

I see two possible weaknesses, though like last season, I think they'll find ways to make up for both. The first is, they still don't have a big physical guard. Georgetown's Wright gave them a little trouble in the first meeting but he was not the same player coming back from injury when we faced them in the BET. Lamb & Deandre have the length to make up for the lack of bulk and Bazz and Boat have the quickness as well to pressure bigger guards as they cross half-court to prevent them from getting them into their offense right away.

The second possible back-court weakness is with depth. As long as the 3 guards stay healthy and collectively out of foul trouble they'll be fine. I do wonder, with Bazz needing to stay on the floor throughout the game, if he'll still be as aggressive defensively as he was last season. I would not be shocked if he plays a tad more conservatively in the first half but step it up in the second once he sees he's got plenty of fouls to play with. I really couldn't tell what type of defender Boatshow was in high school. I'm hoping he's cut from the same mode as Bazz, having good quick feet, hands and good instincts and toughness. As for Lamb, he and Roscoe were the most improved defensively during that 11 game stretch. Lamb went from a player who seemed to lack lateral movement to a pretty darn good defender who has surprising close out speed. He altered a lot of big shots during that NCAA run. Possibly one of the biggest impacts to plugging this possible weakness will be the ability of Daniels and/or Giffey to give them 5 to whatever minutes that are needed of 2G play. Both have skills that will help on the offensive end of the floor. The question is can they hold their own defensively or even come in and lock down a big guard that might be causing some match-up problems for us. All it takes is facing a team with a big guard who's on fire to knock you right out of BET or NCAAs. Hopefully by the time post season play begins, they have a line-up or two that can counter such.

Wing Defense - Yeah, not a common category. But since we have lots of wings that can play either inside or out, I thought I'd separate them. Not only do just about all our wings return (Jamal Coombs-McDaniel, who I often seem to forget has moved on), but we are adding another very good long one to the mix. Last season, Lamb, Roscoe and Giffey more than held their own. I don't recall many wings going off on us. I'm sure there were a few games, but during that 11 game run, those three closed out on opposing wings giving up very little ground. With Daniels in the mix, that position will be well manned at all times with a talented player who can both defend and rebound that position well.

Interior D - All but Chuck are back. Up until the post season they were an inconsistent unit. Alex would not always throw a body on his man when rebounding. Chuck seemed a step slow at times. Olander always played hard, but was sometimes out-muscled. But by the time the BET was over, the front-court which was boltered by the addition of Roscoe at the 4 at times, was among the best defensive front-courts in the nation. They struggled with the high screen during the BE season, but as if they flipped a switch, played textbook help D putting up some impressive stingy defensive numbers throughout the NCAA tournament. With a stronger Oriakhi, Olander and Roscoe, plus the addition of Drummond, Bradley and Wolf, our front-court D has the chance to be the best we've ever seen at UConn. I have a good idea of what we'll get out of the first 3. JC will have to light a fire under AD, who has the makings of being an absolute monster on both ends of the floor. He and the other two inexperienced bigs will need to learn how to hedge on screens, when to come over and help, when to stay home and when to re-engage back to their man when helping. I'm sure we're going to see some ugly mistakes early on with the newbies but I expect by the midpoint of the BE season, our front-court to be scary good! No depth weakness there.

Rebounding - UConn was a pretty good rebounding team last year, though they did have the tendencies to have some scary stretches on the boards. But as they were in other areas, they all but owned the boards during the post season. I'm guessing we could count the number of offensive rebounds the Zags had in that final game on just one hand. And consider how many rebounds there were to be had with all their missed shots. Maybe they had more than 5, but for the most part, our bigs and guards did a very good job on the glass. Kemba will be missed in this area. I can remember countless time Kemba coming out of the pack with the rebound and racing back down the other end of the court. He seemed to track down some key rebounds late in games. For a li'l guy he was a very good rebounder. As long as all the players commit to boxing out and getting after the ball, I see this as being a likely strength. We're plenty big up front now, and plenty quick on the perimeter where speed more than bulk gets you rebounds out there.

Now for the offense:

3 point shooting - Kemba was enough of an 3 point/drive by threat that it kept teams honest and even drew a ton of double and triple teams. That will be missed. But I think this team will have more deep threats than it did last season. Bazz was a mixed bag. Like Kemba early in his career, I think Bazz is a much better shooter than most think. He's going to get better in this area though with many deep threats likely on the floor with him, they won't need him to jack up many 3s. Lamb, Daniels, Boatright and Roscoe are all very good 3 point shooters. I expect Jeremy and Roscoe to improve this season and Daniels & Boatright both come in with a big time reps as good deep shooters and slashers. Last season, the team struggled at times to find a reliable scorer when Lamb and/or Kemba were on the bench. Albeit inexperienced, Daniels & Boatright should be able to give the team more perimeter scoring options. More importantly, Lamb seems poised to pick up much of Kemba's slack and Giffey apparently improved greatly over the summer in all aspects of his game playing for the German national team. Left open he can nail the 3 ball as well.

Scoring off the dribble - All three guards plus Daniels can all put the ball on the floor and create for themselves. It's rare when you have that many players on one team that have that skill set. I hope that over time Roscoe and Giffey improve their handles and ability to score off the bounce. Roscoe hit a real nice baseline stop-and-pop late in one of the F4 games. He has the length, but needs to add a better handle and more confidence in his shotmaking to be added to the mix in this area. Other than Lamb, I'm not sure how the others are with their midrange game. Lamb is so dangerous once he gets inside of 10 feet with his length and that killer floater. Having 4 players who can carve up defenses via dribble penetration makes this team extremely dangerous when you add the skilled bigs to the mix.

Interior Offense - This was by far the biggest weakness with last season's team. They were wildly inefficient in the post. FGs/Attempt and FGs inside the paint by our bigs in general was really bad. Although they're adding AD, Bradley & Wolf and losing only Chuck, I'm still a tad concerned about this. The combination of Alex and Drummond should be deadly when they get the ball within dunking distance. The two should be able to clean up on the offensive glass if they work hard at it. It's their back to the basket type offense that I'm most concerned about. With so many other ways to score, I'm not overly concerned though. I'd like to see Alex improve his balance and post moves. He'll need both if he wants to get some serious NBA first round consideration. AD is a man-child, but tends to chuck the ball up in the vicinity of the rim. I hope he's a quick study and can learn a couple simple moves where he's well balanced and square the basket to maximize his scoring chances. I hear that Tyler is a lot stronger. He's got good skill including a nice mid-range J. Hopefully he and Alex can take advantage when teams try to double down on AD by being reach to catch and shoot that elbow J. If AD attracts a lot of attention, the other big on the floor should find that shot available a great deal this up coming season.

Transition offense - The team seems stacked with athletic players at all positions and plenty of handlers on the floor to bring it up quickly. Rarely do you see a team that has the personnel to play all styles of play. I expect JC to give Bazz and Boatright the green light to run when they can. A lot will depend on how well our bigs rebound the execute the outlet pass, as well as their ability to finish in transition. If the get to the rim to only squander a lot of easy chances, JC will throttle this down some, especially if the opposing team gets easy baskets the other way. I see this team as a well balanced team that will score in may ways; transition, grinding it out in the half-court set, and taking early open shots when the right people have the ball in certain instances before the D is set.

Half-court Execution - The words that comes to mind is floor general. All good half-court executing teams usually have a very good PG or two. Bazz returns with a lot of experience running the team and he's only going to get better. He doesn't get rattled much, though he was prone to have some bad stretches occasionally, giving the ball up via the dribble or poor pass. For the most part he has the right mental and emotional make-up, good court vision and passing. Although Boatright was called upon to score for his HS team, some say he's a very good floor general as well. I think he's going to be very good in this area. We often fear that the next guard will be another Cup Cormier who plays too fast for their own good and can't handle the pressure and speed of the college game. Like Napier, Boat seems to have that same quality where he plays fast though effortlessly and under control...well except for dribbling the ball of a defender foot, but I digress. I think Ryan will be fine, though expect some shaky moments throughout the season. Hopefully he'll get it out of his system well before post season play. Lamb showed last season that the can fill in and run the offense. Like Bazz, he has the right mental make-up to handle the pressure and has a very good handle. I think we'll be fine once the new and inexperience players learn the half-court offense. Last year's team, for such a young one, picked up the offense so much quicker than any young UConn team I can ever remember. Hopefully the young guys will come along quickly as the returning ones did last season.

FT shooting - I think the team will be good to very good in this area. Alex was much improved at at the end of last season. I hear that AD struggles at the line, which could result with him on the bench late in games, which is something you would prefer not to do because of the other things he can do on the floor. I don't have a clue about Bradley or Wolf. Bradley seems to have a nice stroke, so I think he won't be a complete nail-biter for the fans and coaches. Although Bazz had a few scrary moments last post season, he came up huge at the line late in a few big games. Lamb is solid at the line as well. Since Boatright and Daniels will likely be on the floor late in games when they need ball handlers, hopefully they'll be steady at the line. I guess we'll find out soon.

Leadership - Bazz is a born leader. Boatright also seems cut from the same mold. Alex is beginning to be more vocal. There are a few quiet guys on the team, but all in all, there is plenty of bravado and leadership to keep this team on their toes throughout the season. Kemba will be missed in this area. Rarely do you have a player who's as fearless and shows so little fear-of-failure as we saw in Kemba. I think Bazz is that type of player...sometimes too much. Hum...thing reminds me of another category...

Shot Selection - Granted a strange category, but one that can make or break a team. The Dyson/Sticks team was an example of not only poor shooting, but poor shot selection. Napier seemed to throw up at least one WTF shots just about every game. He's got to learn to stay aggressive, but cut down on those this season since he's going to be on the floor with the ball a great deal more. With a lot of players on the team with new offensive roles due to the departure of Kemba, they will need to learn when to shoot, create or look for someone else who has a better opportunity. Kemba will no longer be there to bail them out. Bazz, Boat and Lamb will have a lot of say in how this area goes. I think they'll be fine, but we've seen some very poor decision making with our young guards over the years. I think both Napier and Boatright are mature for their age, but until we get to see how they play in their new roles under pressure, we won't know for sure.

I think that more than covers it. Until they begin to play we won't know for sure what they're good at and what they struggle with. Based on what we think the personnel is capable of, I'd say they have a lot of strengths, and few weaknesses. I hope that's the case.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
DM is baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.

I haven't read it yet, but I like the layout ... I'll get back to you.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Perimeter Defense/Wing Defense - You can combine these two. The length here is freakish. Teams will struggle all year to get good looks from outside and I expect to see the arms of Uconn's players constantly in the passing lanes. Two items to consider though:
1) Overplaying the perimeter. There was a stretch last year, and really ever since Uconn has been a shot-blocking power, where they'd overplay the outside and allow open dribble penetration. Obviously there's a sense of comfort knowing there are trees behind you, but against a team that moves the ball and shoots the ball well, having to recover too many times on defense breaks down the whole set and produces open shots. Louisville and ND were great at exploiting this last year (as was St. Johns).
2) Size at the point of attack. You alluded to it, but Bazz is undersized on defense. He makes up for it with his quick hands, but it's something to consider ... especially in a league like the BEast. A two-PG lineup of Bazz and Boat will be grossly undersized ... but, like you said, I think the general length of the rest of the squad will help here.

Rebounding - Two factors here:
1) AO needs to limit his disappearing act. It was obvious how different the team was last year when he approached double/double numbers ... and it's going to be even more important this year that he sets the tone. When he was hungry, he could get almost any ball (see Texas).
2) The impact of Andre. We know he's an athletic freak and outstanding talent ... but how is that going to translate in the college game? If he can even approach Oriakhi's numbers from last year then we're in for a really nice year.

3 point shooting - Every year I think this is the year, and every year this is a struggle. I don't see any reason why it's going to be any different. Sure, I think Lamb will have one of the best years behind the arc that any Husky has had, but outside of that I just don't see anyone else improving on their numbers much from last year. I know Bazz and Roscoe have been working on improving their shot ... and Giffey can knock em down once in a while, but I think we need to accept the fact that anything outside of JL is bonus. UConn is a fast-break, get-it-down-low, lay-up-a-nice-floater type of team.

Scoring off the dribble / break - This is and should be their gravy.

Interior Offense - Nothing much to add, you summed it up nice. I'd like to see a more patient AO who doesn't flick the ball towards the hoop when he rushes. AD is the big x-factor here ... if he's as advertised, look for marked improvement here. I'm also curious to see what improvements Olander will show and if Bradley can provide any spark.

Half-court Execution - This was an issue last year ... and there was a time during that 9-9 stretch where we thought it was nearly impossible for them to score on anything but a fast-break. Why do I think this is going to improve this year? Kemba. Weird, I know ... but last year it seems like guys deferred to Kemba too often. With him gone (as sad as it is) ... I'm looking for guys to be more assertive in the half-court.

FT shooting - What a surprise last year! I don't expect this year to be any different ... with the exception of a possible hack-a-Drummond approach.

Leadership - "Bazz is a born leader." I think this is true ... and for the sake of this season, I hope so. I've harped on this a lot, but a leader needs to step up and it needs to happen quickly (hopefully it already has). This, in my opinion, is the greatest loss from last season ... you just cannot replicate or replace the leadership qualities that Kemba brought to the team ... you just have to hope that someone can fulfill this role on some level.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
we'll exceed at everything

we have no weaknesses, with the possible exception being the lack of modesty

going to the big easy baby

Reaction Score
Nice write-up but with 3 freshman and a couple of players that haven't played much Div 1 ball we may need to visit this in January when the BE gets rolling.

On paper, we are so strong that Calhoun can mask any weakness.

Its all about 'after Kemba' to me.

Reaction Score
DM, wow.....

I think our greatest weakness is our schedule. This team will roll to the start of the BE and for some it will be a culture shock. Love one top 10 or 20 team before new years

Reaction Score
Hopefully we match up against Florida St in the Atlantic Tournament Final... A great early season test against a team that excels defensively and have very long and athletic players

Reaction Score
Out of all the guys on the team, Oriakhi is the guy I expect to make the biggest strides. We saw a few flashes of how big of an impact he can make last season. I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that he can be a top three big man in the country if he brings it every night, calls for the ball, attacks the boards, and gets better at knowing when to stay home and when to help. Oriakhi's games against Michigan State, Kentucky, Texas, and Butler are the games that really stick out to me. He dominated the paint in those games. I also think his post moves are a bit underrated. Last year I kept calling for him to get the ball more, because I really liked some of the things he did when he took the time to gather himself before going up. Obviously last season the first three options were Kemba, Kemba, Kemba, with Lamb and Oriakhi being the fourth and fifth options respectively. However this season I think the team will be more interior oriented, bringing back flashes of the Boone-Okafor days or even the Adrien-Thabeet days, maybe even better, depending on how these guys progress.

One of Dog's key points was that this is a team that can beat you in a variety of ways, and there are really no glaring weaknesses to speak of. The wild card should be the three point shooting. Coming in, Bazz and Scoe were supposed to be great shooters, but they really struggled in that area at times last season. If one of those guys can establish himself as an outside threat, that should give us plenty of fire power from the three point line with Lamb and Daniels also in the mix.

But while the three point shooting is nice to have, I do not expect it to be a key ingredient to our offense. Leave the chuck and hope formula to the VCU's and Butler's of the world. Calhoun's forte has always been pounding it inside, swarming defense, and winning the battle of the boards. This team has the personal to make that formula work very, very well.

Reaction Score
Strengths: Breaking other team's will to live before the first TV timeout.

Weaknesses: Maintaining focus in the 2nd half when up 60+.

Reaction Score
The main weakness is that the team cares too much and tries too hard.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
99 is right, the OOC schedule is the biggest weakness. The biggest strength will be it's ability to kick serious ass.

Reaction Score
Strengths:
Guarding the other team so closely that they cannot get off their bus to check in, forcing forfeiture.

Being so long, tall, and big that opposing coach cannot see the actual game and make adjustments.

Napier's ability to steal the ball from the ref before tipoff for a breakaway dunk allows UConn to begin all games with a 2-0 lead.

Giffey and Wolf have taught the team German, allowing them to communicate on the floor easily without the other team understanding anything.

Opposing team must gameplan for UConn dominating the color commentary talking points regarding their National Championship, development of Lamb, post-Kemba adjustment, BE/ACC, and Drummond.

Weaknesses:
Yet another year of not holding any opponents to zero points. (Outside of the forfeited games of course)

No player scores 111 points in a single game.

Shabazz does not get a better nickname than reach-around bandit.

NBA players and owners give up on mediation talks in bid to spend more time watching compelling UConn season, resulting in the demise of the NBA.

Reaction Score
I wouldnt call it a weakness but i would really like to see one of the other big guys (Wolf, Bradley, Olander) step up and produce good minutes. Oriakhi and Drummond obviously wont play all 40 mins and it would be nice to get production from the big guys on the bench. Just another asset this team could have.

Reaction Score
If one were to categorize the factors which changed last season's UConn team from one which lost 7 of 9 League games to one which won 11 straight elimination games, you should probably start with team Defense. Offensively in the Big East tournament, Kemba did the heavy lifting.

Can/should UConn replicate last year's end of season defense? One factor key to that effectiveness was the startling jump in blocked shots. Teams found it almost impossible to get good clean shots off inside. This was with Roscoe playing a lot of 4. Down the stretch UConn was particularly effective gtting stops.

One key question will be whether or not Drummond commits cheap fouls. Remember Olander started at the end of the season because of particularly Okwandu's propensity of getting in to foul trouble.

Matchups can dictate using Roscoe at the 4. Daniels need to see the floor early and often. Sometimes it can be a straight up switch at the 3 with Smith, othertimes you might well see both on the floor simultneously. The staff will make an effort to find minutes for Giffey. I think he is an excellent defender if he isn't forced out in space aginst a quicker, much quicker man. He is a very good defensive rebounder, and he can switch out and handle a big for a few possessions if necessary.

So the staff will be looking for some interior help from Mike or Enosh, but it really isn't much of a priority. I'm not so sure that the excessively easy OOC is really a detriment, Oriakhi is the only upperclassman on the squad. The weakness is that the adaptivity of the defense won't get a field test against quality threats. Everything may look tikky-boo until we hit tough covers.
Remember Drummond has a history of coasting.

Last season Calhoun masterfully took the team back to basics in the days between the end of the regular season and the Big East tournament. So while we seem to have the parts to be a premier defensive club, we won't know about how the pieces fit together until well into January.

The returning players are hard workers and while they have confidence, I am cautiously optimistic that they won't have a sense of entitlement. If that world view can be transmitted
to the newcomers, then the pieces are there for a very solid defense. Greatness is elusive, but may be in their grasp.

To summarize, it is not as much the individual physical talents/liabilities as how the pieces fit together and the mental toughness as a group which will raise the potential level to the highest possible. The coaching needs to be able to provide motivation, skill refinement, and the ability to substitute to minimize disadvantges and maximize advantages.

Reaction Score
Strengths:
Coaching Staff
Lamb at the 2
AO on the boards
Roscoe's toughness
overall depth

Weaknesses:
Youth
Inconsistency

Leadership could also be a weakness, but Bazz may step up and cure that.

Reaction Score
Strengths: JC, OLLIE, JL, Inside rebounding, speed,connectivity ( how they connect with each other ) a variety of scorers, team defense, play finishers.

Weaknesses: guard size, youth. Scheduling the sisters of the poor from the four corners of the globe may be a weakness that allows a strength to emerge ( youth on the floor ).

lIKE LAST YEAR THESE GUYS WILL BE FUN TO WATCH ALL THE WAY TO THE NC.

Reaction Score
Weaknesses: Replacing Kemba's leadership, scoring and the soul of the championship team. Who is the new leader? Shabazz, Oriaki, Lamb? 3 new freshmen, talented but freshmen none of them have any college experience, let alone championship experience.

Strenghs: Champhionship team is back minus Kemba, plus 3 very talented newcomers. We shall see!!!

Reaction Score
If one were to categorize the factors which changed last season's UConn team from one which lost 7 of 9 League games to one which won 11 straight elimination games, you should probably start with team Defense. Offensively in the Big East tournament, Kemba did the heavy lifting.

Can/should UConn replicate last year's end of season defense? One factor key to that effectiveness was the startling jump in blocked shots. Teams found it almost impossible to get good clean shots off inside. This was with Roscoe playing a lot of 4. Down the stretch UConn was particularly effective gtting stops.

One key question will be whether or not Drummond commits cheap fouls. Remember Olander started at the end of the season because of particularly Okwandu's propensity of getting in to foul trouble.

Matchups can dictate using Roscoe at the 4. Daniels need to see the floor early and often. Sometimes it can be a straight up switch at the 3 with Smith, othertimes you might well see both on the floor simultneously. The staff will make an effort to find minutes for Giffey. I think he is an excellent defender if he isn't forced out in space aginst a quicker, much quicker man. He is a very good defensive rebounder, and he can switch out and handle a big for a few possessions if necessary.

So the staff will be looking for some interior help from Mike or Enosh, but it really isn't much of a priority. I'm not so sure that the excessively easy OOC is really a detriment, Oriakhi is the only upperclassman on the squad. The weakness is that the adaptivity of the defense won't get a field test against quality threats. Everything may look tikky-boo until we hit tough covers.
Remember Drummond has a history of coasting.

Last season Calhoun masterfully took the team back to basics in the days between the end of the regular season and the Big East tournament. So while we seem to have the parts to be a premier defensive club, we won't know about how the pieces fit together until well into January.

The returning players are hard workers and while they have confidence, I am cautiously optimistic that they won't have a sense of entitlement. If that world view can be transmitted
to the newcomers, then the pieces are there for a very solid defense. Greatness is elusive, but may be in their grasp.

To summarize, it is not as much the individual physical talents/liabilities as how the pieces fit together and the mental toughness as a group which will raise the potential level to the highest possible. The coaching needs to be able to provide motivation, skill refinement, and the ability to substitute to minimize disadvantges and maximize advantages.

I would say my weakness is a lack of attention span to get through this in one sitting.

There could be anywhere from no weaknesses to a few concerns depending on how the newbies pan out. Pretend for moment there is no Drummon, Daniels, Boatright. What say you then? Any and all could struggle but that looks really unlikely. I'll pick point guard play as the biggest concern. We're just not going to replace Kemba completely.

Reaction Score
One thing in common between all three championship teams: they all won the Big East tournament.

Reaction Score
One thing in common between all three championship teams: they all won the Big East tournament.
Thats true. I like that stat very much. Thats why i had a feeling something special might happen after the Louisville game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom