What do we know about Michigan State? | The Boneyard

What do we know about Michigan State?

Reaction Score
What a game!! What a battle!!

Prior to the UConn/Auburn game, I did a quick report on Michigan State:

1) In terms of their roster, they matchup well with UConn
  • They’re deep. Nine players average 15 mpg+.
  • They have size from 2-5 to defend our team. Especially at the 5 they have rim protectors. 7’0 230 senior Marcus Bingham and 6’8 225 junior Julius Marble average a combed 4.5 blocks/game.
Below is their roster and time allotment to far:

1637791270230.png

2) Offensive report
  • They play fast (22nd in offensive tempo)
  • They do not shoot well (28.7 3p%), but they rebound well (45th in offensive rebounding rate).
    • Only 31.5% of their shots are from three (301st highest rate in NCAA).
  • Their best offensive players are big.
    • Gabe Brown 14 ppg, 6'8 215
    • Marcus Bingham 12.8 ppg, 7'0 230
    • Max Christie 11.5 ppg, 6'6 190
3) Defensive report
  • Elite defense (3rd in efficiency)
  • Elite 2p defense (7th in nation)
  • Elite block rate (8th in nation)
  • They do not rely on causing turnovers (173th turnover in the nation)
    • Why does this matter? It allows us to match their size with our size and not be too worried about ball handles

Reaction Score
"What do we know about Michigan State?"

Well that a simple answer. We know that Michigan State isn't as good as UConn.

Reaction Score
We got exposed a little bit today. I expect Izzo to develop a plan focusing on our guards, shooters Hawkins/Polley and of course Sanogo. Will be a chess game, and I hope Hurley is as effective as Izzo breaking down opponent film in short period of time.

AJ, Akok, Whaley (offense) and/or Gaff need to have a big game tomorrow, as I don't see Izzo focusing on them. Nice to have secret weapons like them!

Reaction Score
We got exposed a little bit today. I expect Izzo to develop a plan focusing on our guards, shooters Hawkins/Polley and of course Sanogo. Will be a chess game, and I hope Hurley is as effective as Izzo breaking down opponent film in short period of time.

AJ, Akok, Whaley (offense) and/or Gaff need to have a big game tomorrow, as I don't see Izzo focusing on them. Nice to have secret weapons like them!
I dont think we got exposed. That was just 2 really good teams beating the crap out of each other. 99% of other teams cannot press like Auburn.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
We’ll definitely be at a noticeable disadvantage given the later double overtime game and then an early start

Reaction Score
We’ll definitely be at a noticeable disadvantage given the later double overtime game and then an early start
It’s also early in the season. Don’t know if that means our legs would be fresher than if this was a game in March, or if our conditioning is not 100% yet because it’s so early in the year. Guess we’ll find out

Reaction Score
Man these guys will be fine. They probably practice harder than that in the off season. If anything they should be riding an emotional high

Reaction Score
I dont think we got exposed. That was just 2 really good teams beating the crap out of each other. 99% of other teams cannot press like Auburn.
5 people scored for us. We got at least a little bit exposed.

Reaction Score
It’s also early in the season. Don’t know if that means our legs would be fresher than if this was a game in March, or if our conditioning is not 100% yet because it’s so early in the year. Guess we’ll find out
The good thing is Martin should be pretty fresh. Definitely need to give Akok a few more minutes and probably work Diggins in even if just for a minute here or there before a TV timeout. I'd like to see 10 guys play tomorrow.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score

That's the beauty, right? No way he can "focus" on AJ, Akok, Whaley or Gaff. Can't focus on everybody. Our depth is what's going to carry us. But sounds similar for them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom