What do we do now? | The Boneyard

What do we do now?

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Well gang, I know we have all enjoyed reading and watching our new freshmen try to blend in with our beloved Husky vets, the updates about the rehab results of various players, and the interviews of the new girls' experiences of their new home. It all seemed like the new season was upon us and the daily news of our girls was something we expected every day. Guess what, it all stops in July when the team scatters to go home, traveling out of the country to join National teams, and even Geno leaving for recruiting visits. It's called summer vacation. What am i going to do now? I'm sure we may read tidbits of Aaliyah and Jana in their exploits with their National teams, and maybe a TikTok of Paige and Azzi clowning it up or working out. Sorry, not enough for me. July is going to be a long month and August will not come soon enough when they come back for the European trip. So, besides watching old games that I have already watched multiple times, any suggestions on what else can I do to take my mind off of UConn basketball?
One thing I will do is watching the Connecticut Sun at Mohegan Sun Arena, but the season ending injury to Brianna Jones is giving me a de-ja-vu feeling going forward. Help!

Reaction Score
Aaaaaargh!! I hate July.

We’re flying back east to visit our daughter in DC. I know, it’s a steam bath in July. Of course, this will only take up a week. Now what to do about the other three.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
If you are not retired, take some time and act like you are retired!!!

Get out and enjoy nature and the weather.

Go sight seeing to new places. BBQ up a storm, especially for those in the northern states.

Throw a party for friends and neighbors.

Take your spouse out to dinner for often.

Do a disconnect from the internet. Let you brains recharge from the information pollution.

And - Enjoy the journey!!!

Reaction Score
I actually think there is a way to watch most of Aaliyah's games for team Canada which start July 1st so that could help kill at least a week. And then cross fingers that Jana will face team USA in her tournament as well.

Reaction Score
The WNBA helps fill a void for me. Live in Florida most of the year and about 3 months in the Vegas area, so I can root for the Aces, the Sun and numerous Uconn alumni while waiting. Still it is a very slow time for news until we hear something definitive on a potential recruit good or bad, get a new practice video or quote. The trip will give us some filler before the serious practices begin. Then it will be reading between the lines of every statement Geno, CD or the players make looking for a hint as to how things are going and who is exceeding expectations, or has a-lot more work to do.

In one way the off-season dry period has been filled more recently by the impact of transfer season. It used to be the season ended, very quickly you had the WNBA draft and the drought began. Now we several more weeks of transfer drama that almost matches the impact of a recruiting class, and even if we are not active in the market or losing anyone, the odds are very high that some of our top national contenders will be adding or losing major impact players. We also have had the decision period for 5th year eligible seniors playing out, but after next year that will disappear.

So even though it seems like an eternity, in a couple of ways it used to be even worse before transfers were so common and players had a 5th year to consider to keep the news coming a little longer after the season ended.

Reaction Score
We wait until the first preseason games and hope like hell that nobody on the team gets injured...........;)

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The Cricket World Cup is coming up. They're in the middle of the qualifying tournament now. The USA has a team but they won't be going through.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Well gang, I know we have all enjoyed reading and watching our new freshmen try to blend in with our beloved Husky vets, the updates about the rehab results of various players, and the interviews of the new girls' experiences of their new home. It all seemed like the new season was upon us and the daily news of our girls was something we expected every day. Guess what, it all stops in July when the team scatters to go home, traveling out of the country to join National teams, and even Geno leaving for recruiting visits. It's called summer vacation. What am i going to do now? I'm sure we may read tidbits of Aaliyah and Jana in their exploits with their National teams, and maybe a TikTok of Paige and Azzi clowning it up or working out. Sorry, not enough for me. July is going to be a long month and August will not come soon enough when they come back for the European trip. So, besides watching old games that I have already watched multiple times, any suggestions on what else can I do to take my mind off of UConn basketball?
One thing I will do is watching the Connecticut Sun at Mohegan Sun Arena, but the season ending injury to Brianna Jones is giving me a de-ja-vu feeling going forward. Help!
Um, I don't think watching old games is going to take your mind off UCONN basketball. Probably just the opposite.

It's summer folks. Don't wish it away. Enjoy it. Especially for us up here in the God forsaken NE, Summer and Fall are the only nice times of the year. The rest is $%#&. One of the reasons we watch/follow so much UCONN WBB. Something to get us through the horrible parts of the year.

Anyway, lots to do this summer. Hit the beach. Go for walks/bikes. Picnics. Eating outside. BBQ's, pool parties. Lots of concerts (in the park). As for watching sports, tons.

Baseball season, Gold Cup just started. Women's World Cup in July/Aug. Tour de France starts 7/1. Lots of FIBA tourneys this summer. Wimbledon. The Open Championship. Preseason NFL will start later in the summer. European Football preseason tours of the USA start in July.

Reaction Score
Um, I don't think watching old games is going to take your mind off UCONN basketball. Probably just the opposite.

It's summer folks. Don't wish it away. Enjoy it. Especially for us up here in the God forsaken NE, Summer and Fall are the only nice times of the year. The rest is $%#&. One of the reasons we watch/follow so much UCONN WBB. Something to get us through the horrible parts of the year.

Anyway, lots to do this summer. Hit the beach. Go for walks/bikes. Picnics. Eating outside. BBQ's, pool parties. Lots of concerts (in the park). As for watching sports, tons.

Baseball season, Gold Cup just started. Women's World Cup in July/Aug. Tour de France starts 7/1. Lots of FIBA tourneys this summer. Wimbledon. The Open Championship. Preseason NFL will start later in the summer. European Football preseason tours of the USA start in July.
Summer is the worst season in CT, imo.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
We wait until the first preseason games and hope like hell that nobody on the team gets injured...........;)
100 likes for you on this one. The off-season was not kind to us last year, losing your best player and team leader along with a very promising freshman post player was a devastating blow to the program to be sure. :( My fervent prayer going forward is that UConn begins the season with 14 "healthy" players ready to begin their assault on the national championship for the 2023-2024 season 1 game at a time. :cool:

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
O

Or maybe who the mystery woman will be at the 5?
Jana, Ice, Amari, Ayanna?
Let the speculation begin!
I think the closer we get to the first week in November, one of them will have separated themselves from the pack and will be the clear favorite to start.

Reaction Score
100 likes for you on this one. The off-season was not kind to us last year, losing your best player and team leader along with a very promising freshman post player was a devastating blow to the program to be sure. :( My fervent prayer going forward is that UConn begins the season with 14 "healthy" players ready to begin their assault on the national championship for the 2023-2024 season 1 game at a time. :cool:
I will expand on your fervent hope of starting the season with 14 healthy players... and add MIDDLE of the Season and END of the Season... not being greedy, just a "fervent hope" ;):);):);):)

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Because summers are so great in Florida?
We get daily thunderstorms in the summer that cool off the evenings and make it very comfortable. Daytimes can be unbearable especially in the sun but I work all day so it’s no big deal.

The payoff is the light jacket weather in January and breaking out the shorts and tees in February

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
The Cricket World Cup is coming up. They're in the middle of the qualifying tournament now. The USA has a team but they won't be going through.
LOL! So I guess the beer you like is cellar-temp bitter?

Just kidding (about the dig at cricket, I just finished a keg of bitter last night). My attention during July, which bores many to tears, is the Tour de France.

Reaction Score
Conference realignment speculation is a good time waster. Mosey over to the conference realignment board on the Boneyard. There also reportedly is lots of speculation about conference realignment on Twitter and in YouTube videos.

UConn fans are speculating about whether UConn will get an invitation to join the Big XII conference. People are also discussing the possibility that Colorado, Arizona, Arizona State, and Utah will leave the Pac-12 conference to join the Big XII. There also is speculation about the Pac-12 media deal, which reportedly involves Apple and may have creative components involving streaming.

People are also discussing the “Magnificent 7” ACC schools, some of which, notably Florida State and Clemson, are reportedly interested in getting out of the ostensibly ironclad Grant-of-Rights (GOR) deal.

There’s plenty of other stuff to do in the summer. I like to go for walks, go camping and canoeing, look at and listen to birds (including the UK types), read books, barbecue, go to the beach, work on genealogy, convert old Super-8 movies and slides to digital…the list goes on.

Reaction Score
O

Or maybe who the mystery woman will be at the 5?
Jana, Ice, Amari, Ayanna?
Let the speculation begin!
Hmmm, I was thinking that UConn could go with a 1-2-2-4-4 line up certainly not all the time but against some of the smaller schools. Caroline/Griff at the 4 with Edwards at the other 4. Geno could switch between small ball and a bigger line up which would probably drive the average competition nuts. Make the other team react to UConn, not the other way around.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Because summers are so great in Florida?
And winters are so great in the Northeast?

Summer in Florida:
Just about every day thunderstorms come thru between 2 and 5. Clears out the air of the humidity. Evenings are mostly comfortable. Sit out on the lanai and enjoy it.

Yea it gets hot and humid. We have A/C. Not a problem. Up north in the winter you go from heated house to heated car to heated buildings. And you are all bundled up. Here in summer we go from A/C house to A/C car to A/C buildings. Same difference, different seasons.

We are dressed in shorts. light weight shirts and of course flip flops year round. Occasionally we need to pull out a fleece jacket, but not often.

I get to grill outside 12 months out of the year. I get to golf 12 months out of the year.

Having lived in CT from 1973 to 2016, we have no regrets about moving to Florida.

Reaction Score
I guess I will have to finish those Concerto's in B flat minor. One is Can we win it all and please don't press us is the other.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom