What Dawn thinks of Paige. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What Dawn thinks of Paige.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Not sure if it was your intent, but this comment sure reads as awfully pressed. You guys can’t post nonstop about how Paige is a generational player (which she is) and then get offended when it’s noted she’s an upgrade over UConn’s previous PG. It was a relevant comment—Dawn was articulating differences between last season’s game and this one—and she noted it wasn’t a slight on Crystal in any form. And to be fair, Crystal has been a comparatively better player in her one season in the league than she was in college, even when adjusting for the year of pro coaching.
Not offended, just don't really understand why she felt the need to bring CD into the discussion. She wants to praise Paige before she plays her fine by me. However if you have to say it's not a slight it usually is. While I can't know what Dawns real intent was I take your point, except the offended part, talk before a game is usually just posturing.

Reaction Score
A question for any that would answer. In your humble and informed opinion, how many points will South Carolina need to score tomorrow to win? Since they are not a prolific 3 point shooting team, where are the majority of their points going to come from?

Last year, they held UConn to 52 points and a 2 point first quarter. I expect UConn to score a minimum of 75 points, and I expect us to play well, and not be intimidated by their record, or the outcome of last year’s game.
SC defensive is just as good if not better than last year. UCONN offensive is much better than last year. SC scoring average this year is identical(1 point difference) to last year. So I expect the game to be closer. Both teams somewhere between 75 and 65 points.

SC gets a lot of points on fast breaks and offensive rebounding. We are not a prolific 3 point shooting team but can be streaky sometimes. Against S. Dakota , Kentucky, Vandy, Arkansas, Alabama, and Auburn we hit 42 out of 84 three pointers. Our last 2 games we are 12 out of 22 so I hope that is the new trend.

Reaction Score
Not sure if it was your intent, but this comment sure reads as awfully pressed. You guys can’t post nonstop about how Paige is a generational player (which she is) and then get offended when it’s noted she’s an upgrade over UConn’s previous PG. It was a relevant comment—Dawn was articulating differences between last season’s game and this one—and she noted it wasn’t a slight on Crystal in any form. And to be fair, Crystal has been a comparatively better player in her one season in the league than she was in college, even when adjusting for the year of pro coaching.

I didn't take Dawn's comment a slight at all- but just replying to the part in bold. It sort of is a slight. You know Crystal was never really stopped vs Baylor, or Oregon or S.C., right? In college she always was a terrific offensive player. That's what she showed in the WNBA. In the 3 years of her stay at UCONN - each year UCONN made FF. Granted her frosh year she had little to do with getting there but she could always score and showed it.

She averaged 20 ppg vs the big 3 last year 22-45 from the floor, was 11-21 from 3, with an EFG% 61.11%. She could handle the ball, shoot, and score. UCONN was 5th last year. Being 5th in the country is pretty impressive. She did in WNBA what she did in college. Others didn't. That doesn't mean she was a better in pros or "that" much better. Just she wasn't recognized as much.

Reaction Score
Cooke 3 point shot has been found from the corner. We need to stay close to her in the right-hand corner. Her favorite spot. She will drive to the middle of the paint from the left side of the court and does a dipsy doodle. Make her drive baseline from the left side of the court and we will need help defense like liv on her. She doesn't usually pass when she drives because she can get her shot off if she is defended well then SC crashes the boards with Saxton, Boston and Beal. Henderson is a lighting bolt on the break she is faster than anybody on our team. She is also now hitting some three's. Boston inside and now outside if we jam the middle. Amihere and Grissett come off the bench and offer lots of size Amihere is so athletic for a big we will need to go big with Edwards and Liv when she comes in the game. Can't wait for this game I hope we are Healthy. We will need Aubrey and Aaliyah.
Hope the team’s scout is similar to yours...if it is, and we execute it, and Liv manages to keep her arms vertical on blocks, we should be fine....as long as we’re finding the basket from the outside at a decent rate?? Should be a good game.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
And with all due respect, neither opinion will mean a thing if the teams meet again in the tournament. I agree the game means something, and agree a little bit more for the quality of opponent but it IS meaningless as a predictor for the future.
That's the reason for my nonchalance regarding win/lose on Monday eve.
The upside for this team is off the charts

Aside from the fact that the 3-guard offense is made up of 2 freshman and a 1st year upperclassmen; they've only played as a starting group for three games!....Only 3 games! (emphasis mine).

That's got to be what makes Geno so enthusiastic...not necessarily what he's seeing now, but what he foresees the finished product will/can look like.

Reaction Score
With Crystal arriving just after MoJeff, she had to live up to a high standard. But Crystal was always consistent. It may not have reflected in points, but it mattered in the big games. She could always be counted on to produce in the big games, especially last year. She was always consistent beyond the arc. Had Geno encouraged her to shoot and score more (like he’s going with Paige), she would be on the wall.

Reaction Score
Not offended, just don't really understand why she felt the need to bring CD into the discussion. She wants to praise Paige before she plays her fine by me. However if you have to say it's not a slight it usually is. While I can't know what Dawns real intent was I take your point, except the offended part, talk before a game is usually just posturing.
I think if you’re addressing the differences between this year and last, it makes sense to acknowledge a strong floor general. There’s no skirting around the fact that Paige can and does control the offense, so I thought Dawn was just pointing it out.

Crystal was a very good player who I feel was deserving of a first-team AA honor last season.

Reaction Score
With Crystal arriving just after MoJeff, she had to live up to a high standard. But Crystal was always consistent. It may not have reflected in points, but it mattered in the big games. She could always be counted on to produce in the big games, especially last year. She was always consistent beyond the arc. Had Geno encouraged her to shoot and score more (like he’s going with Paige), she would be on the wall.

I was looking forward to last year - was praying in the region we'd get Maryland (though not likely.). I thought one key to advancing would be her ability to score.

With that said-- I was always concerned with her getting hurt.

Secondly, I am still "vexed" why she played so poorly vs ND in the 2 Final Fours. She was a combined 5-22 from the floor, 2-14 from 3, and averaged just 6 points.

Reaction Score
too much dependency on PB can be problematic...............I have no doubts that South Carolina will be keying on her all game long...........let's see how her teammates can handle the open shots that they will surely be getting from that over attention...........if they shoot well UConn wins......

Reaction Score
And with all due respect, neither opinion will mean a thing if the teams meet again in the tournament. I agree the game means something, and agree a little bit more for the quality of opponent but it IS meaningless as a predictor for the future. We will never know of course, but Uconn got beat in all such games last year but the team looked much different after that leading up to the tournament.
UConn got beat by all the good teams they played last year, and then started looking good again against the AAC - a conference made up of bad teams we NEVER lost a game to in seven years. I'm concerned that the glow our 29-point victory over Marquette (a team who lost to today to DePaul, who we have beaten by 23 and 33) has us (the fans) a bit overconfident leading up to our game vs South Carolina - an actual legitimate contender.

I suspect the coaches and team do understand the real truth (the BE is about as big of a joke as the AAC), and aren't getting lulled into a false sense of superiority. Hope they're up for the challenge of real competition Monday, 'cause they're gonna get punched in the mouth (apologies to Aaliyah). I'm optimistic that they're prepared to fight back.

Reaction Score
She meant absolutely NOTHING bad. In the context of the conversation her point was that UConn was a different team and the biggest difference was Paige. Had she said nothing else it WOULD have been a slight on CD because it would have inferred that CD was what held you back.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
And with all due respect, neither opinion will mean a thing if the teams meet again in the tournament. I agree the game means something, and agree a little bit more for the quality of opponent but it IS meaningless as a predictor for the future. We will never know of course, but Uconn got beat in all such games last year but the team looked much different after that leading up to the tournament.
So you don’t subscribe to the theory that the best predictor of future behavior is past behavior? I know that its been proven not to neccessariy be accurate (when ND beat UConn 3 times one year, but lost to them the 4th time in the NC game), If they beat us on our home floor, you don’t think they’d enter that game with a little more confidence on a neutral court, knowing they just handled us a month ago?

OK, then what would you use as a predictor?

Reaction Score
UConn got beat by all the good teams they played last year, and then started looking good again against the AAC - a conference made up of bad teams we NEVER lost a game to in seven years. I'm concerned that the glow our 29-point victory over Marquette (a team who lost to today to DePaul, who we have beaten by 23 and 33) has us (the fans) a bit overconfident leading up to our game vs South Carolina - an actual legitimate contender.

I suspect the coaches and team do understand the real truth (the BE is about as big of a joke as the AAC), and aren't getting lulled into a false sense of superiority. Hope they're up for the challenge of real competition Monday, 'cause they're gonna get punched in the mouth (apologies to Aaliyah). I'm optimistic that they're prepared to fight back.
And if you think teams can’t improve and past results become future results we just disagree. I believe I caveated my reply with we’ll never know, unspoken was the fact that I am well aware of the level of competition you choose to lecture about.

Reaction Score
So you don’t subscribe to the theory that the best predictor of future behavior is past behavior? I know that its been proven not to neccessariy be accurate (when ND beat UConn 3 times one year, but lost to them the 4th time in the NC game), If they beat us on our home floor, you don’t think they’d enter that game with a little more confidence on a neutral court, knowing they just handled us a month ago?

OK, then what would you use as a predictor?
Frankly, I am not a big fan of predicting, I consider the “any given day“ the absolute beauty of sports. As for confidence, I know this sounds pompous as heck, but I never lacked for it and never gained or lost it based on a past performance. I thought I was going to win every game I ever played in, of course the reality wasn’t close to that. Every game is different and in the ”now”, not in the past. The overwhelming majority of players know that and every coach better or they shouldn’t be on the sidelines.
As for the behavior theory, not one iota when it comes to sports. If it was remotely true there would be a ton of happy people betting based on past results.

Reaction Score

I agree with your points, however this fan is certainly not overconfident. If SC is able to limit Bueckers’ scoring, UConn’s got serious problems. Against real defense, I don’t think UConn has the shooters to fill the gap. I think they need at least 25 from PB to win.

Reaction Score
Hope Geno adds in double-screens for Paige! I like our chances with SC. Last game that SC played (if I remember the box score correctly)
Boston was good not excellent. She has to be excellent for them to win tomorrow. I like our chances! Does Geno start Edwards?

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score

Would probably never have lost a NBE game in 7 years either.

Reaction Score
Everyone knows football dictates conference affiliation, just the way it is.
They should make it so teams can join any conference they want rather than have all sports in the same conference.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Everyone knows football dictates conference affiliation, just the way it is.
Not at UConn. The move to the NBE killed football and made any possible move to a better conference impossible.

Reaction Score
Not at UConn. The move to the NBE killed football and made any possible move to a better conference impossible.
Football was dead at Uconn long before they moved back to the BE. I am sure there were other factors but the poor football program was part of why they were never invited to a P5 conference.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom