OT: - What changes are you and family making to your lifestyle due to coranavirus? | Page 72 | The Boneyard

OT: What changes are you and family making to your lifestyle due to coranavirus?

Reaction Score
Bumping a very old thread to see what changes people are still seeing nearly a year later? Did the year go as you expected? What changes are permanent?

In my case, we are still not back in the office. I took a company wide survey today with lots of questions about what we want to do. My response, hybrid work from home and office, but the unique sub-question was: how often do you want to go in? I thought initially 2 days a week, but on reflection said 2 days a month. I find I miss a lot of things, and the office is on the list, but low on the list. I'm more interested in meeting my work colleagues for a beer than actually working in the office.

The bump was triggered by this article in the WaPost. It will appear this weekend. The featured family are friends of ours and live 3 doors down. It is interesting premise, that as works shifts to home (as it was in the agrarian economy) we may see more 3 generation family structures again, especially with both parents working. The oldest can help with youngest, and kids can help aging parents. Work from home is going to provide lots of new flexibility for people to be where they want.

Families reunite in pandemic and rethink what home means - The Washington Post
My wife works for a market research company, so of course they also surveyed their employees in a similar manner. She put 1 day a week back in the office for herself personally, 0 people out of the 50 respondents put 5 days a week back.

The grandparents move in homes thing is going to be impossible where I live. There's just no space. I'm so exasperated already, this would make it worse, We live in the Boston burbs (maybe a little closer in than you?), and my family is growing, and we organically need space. Now all these COVID work from home people are trying to move into the suburbs and they want the same number of beds and baths without any kids because they want 1-2 home offices. The demand for a 3+ Bed 1.5+ bath is insane in the 'burbs, and nobody is selling because everyone recently refinanced and finally did all the home projects they've been meaning to do and now like their houses. All the houses for sale get 15+ offers. Selling for 100-150k over ask. Buyers waiving literally every single contingency (inspection, financing, appraisal, etc.). Using services like Flyhomes to provide all cash offers. even if they're really only putting 5% down. We had to sell our home first so we didn't have to put a home sale contingency and now have 3 months to find somewhere or we're screwed. "Healthy/balanced market" is 6-7 months of housing inventory sell through. Seller's market is 5 months of inventory or less. There's 0.5 months of inventory in my town right now.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I left my job in NYC on June 1 of last year - ran around and travelled most of the summer and fall - got a new job around Christmas and have been in the office nearly every day - I don't like working from home - mentally just doesn't do it for me. From Mid-March last year to June 1 was torture working 12 hour days from my house with no letup.

We are pushing back to office 2 days a week T/TH for most people. There are just some things that are hard to do remotely (white-board sessions, etc). Was super difficult for me to onboard and get to learn what my staff are doing on a daily basis - I am really the only one in my dept that is in the office until the week of May 24th.

We just moved from Milford to East Haven - got more space and a pool - I am not in NYC anymore so moving further out doesn't matter. And after all of the travelling I did - I got COVID in the house from my son who got it from his GF. Got lucky - Milford is super hot and East Haven isn't - so got a great deal on both ends. Wasn't easy though.

I don't think 5 days a week in the office is ever going to happen for most people, even though I will gladly do it. When I need to be at home for something I will work from home, but otherwise the office is much more efficient for me. Went on my first business trip last week (Tampa) and headed to Phoenix next week. Nice to get some sense of normalcy.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
My wife works for a market research company, so of course they also surveyed their employees in a similar manner. She put 1 day a week back in the office for herself personally, 0 people out of the 50 respondents put 5 days a week back.

The grandparents move in homes thing is going to be impossible where I live. There's just no space. I'm so exasperated already, this would make it worse, We live in the Boston burbs (maybe a little closer in than you?), and my family is growing, and we organically need space. Now all these COVID work from home people are trying to move into the suburbs and they want the same number of beds and baths without any kids because they want 1-2 home offices. The demand for a 3+ Bed 1.5+ bath is insane in the 'burbs, and nobody is selling because everyone recently refinanced and finally did all the home projects they've been meaning to do and now like their houses. All the houses for sale get 15+ offers. Selling for 100-150k over ask. Buyers waiving literally every single contingency (inspection, financing, appraisal, etc.). Using services like Flyhomes to provide all cash offers. even if they're really only putting 5% down. We had to sell our home first so we didn't have to put a home sale contingency and now have 3 months to find somewhere or we're screwed. "Healthy/balanced market" is 6-7 months of housing inventory sell through. Seller's market is 5 months of inventory or less. There's 0.5 months of inventory in my town right now.

I assume you are closer in than me (the town I live in is right in that article). Yeah, that is a trend that likely will just get worse. People moving further out. It's a reason I think Worcester is about to heat up. Lots of larger old homes, new AAA park and emerging amenities, and still relatively cheap. Good spot for UConn fans too. We've seen that the few less expensive towns, like Blackstone, are hot as people (presumably like you) move farther out to get more personal space. We've got 160k employees, so the survey will be interesting. They already closed several smaller regional offices.

A friend of mine works at the same company as me and lives in Northboro. He hates WFH, he's a SW engineer and he has 3 kids and a wife who also works from home. So he's working in a loud open part of his house. I have 4 BR and one child, so I have a dedicated office. We even turned the spare bedroom into a semi-dedicated school from home spot for my daughter until she went back in.

I really don't think we are going back to what was. It's too cost effective and too environmentally friendly to have people work from home.

Reaction Score
Definitely feeling more grateful and putting more time and effort into things that matter. Not stressing over little things, etc. I think quality of life will be better post- vs pre-pandemic just due to mindset. I feel more compassionate and a better listener, which is odd since I’ve seen less people.

Been at school 100% in person except for one two-week quarantine in November.

Of course, masks and distancing is consistent but other changes:
  • all classes are 90 minutes but just 3 days/week. This was done to make switch to Zoom easier for kids. But that rarely happened, anyways. Next year, we’ll be back to the regular rotations of 45 min classes every day and one day for 90 min.
  • Not coaching three seasons (cross-country, basketball, softball) but we started cohorted “sports sampler” electives. Just fun to do something active after classes and make some extra $$$
  • Only tutoring online. That’ll continue post-pandemic, especially for my students from farther away. After getting used to it, I love tutoring on zoom and I feel it’s more concise and parents get more for their $$$

Reaction Score
Still working at home 100% of the time, but I assume that'll change shortly. We're moving into a new office building this fall, and I assume most people will want to go in at least a few days a week. I find I'm way more productive at home so 2-3 days in the office is more than enough for me

Reaction Score
Reading what everyone has been going through, especially with younger children, I am kinda glad that I don't have to choose between home or office. I'll just take care of the animals, tend to the gardens and spend a few minutes a day wetting a line. Good luck to everyone.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I socialize less that I did beforehand. I'm looking forward to getting back to normal. I also get vaccinated in public parks, which is something I did not do before COVID.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
I socialize less that I did beforehand. I'm looking forward to getting back to normal. I also get vaccinated in public parks, which is something I did not do before COVID.
I get vaccinated in public rest rooms, grocery stores, public parks, drive thru pharmacies, medical clinics, hospitals, bowling alleys, recreational centers, fire stations...

Wherever I can.

So far I have been vaccinated 287 times and I still have to wear a mask. I'm double masked now, because you people are not vaccinated and because Dr. Fauci thinks we can never be too careful.

What is wrong with you people!

Reaction Score
I've been in school all year, give or take a few remote breaks, we are finally all in for the last month of school (which I think is silly) but whatever.. My wife hasn't been in the office since last March and may never be again. She's the director of orthopedic research at a hospital and can do virtually everything she needs to do from home. It infuriates me, but I definitely outkicked my coverage

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
As for personal changes, my level of respect and appreciation for the people who are out there doing the jobs that make life pleasant for us has gone up. Grocery store workers, Target employees, CVS, line cooks in restaurants, delivery people of all kinds, warehouse workers, food processors and growers, and thousands more. They bore the brunt of the pandemic and I will never forget it.

There are simple things I miss. I got together with friends, but infrequently compared to normal. I miss the easy road trip. Wife and I went to the MA south coast last fall, had a nice day until it was 6 and we wanted dinner. Take-out only in town after town. Ended up driving all the way home. We tried to go for a hike in the cranberry bogs near Gillette stadium, had to go home because there was no public bathroom open anywhere (which it turned out, was unnecessary). For now, with Mass seemingly the slowest opening state in the country, it still feels like that.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Hoping to take advantage of the pandemic to get a reservation where the place used to be booked months out. Our 20th is in June, and this place will start taking reservations again on May 15. I plan to be the first call.

Reaction Score
Nearly nothing changed with work except I had to work from home during intense snow days rather than getting the day off. Had a lot less fun

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Full vaxxed household, so masks are being worn only for social acceptance but everything else is back to normal.

Reaction Score
Full vaxxed household, so masks are being worn only for social acceptance but everything else is back to normal.
It's funny that you say that you wear your mask for social acceptance. Here in Alabama, I am one of the very few that is still wearing a mask. I was even told to remove my mask at one business because they were not allowed... I walked out and called the corporate office. Not sure of the outcome, but I'll shop elsewhere.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
hey, look!
Yankee Stadium, Citi Field To Seat Fans In Vaccinated And Unvaccinated Sections, Offer Shots And Free Tickets – CBS New York (cbslocal.com) emphasis added.
and to think that just last week, i wasn't allowed to step foot in the stadium.
'ver are ur papers, herr cliffy?' change has come!
and to think that just this am, circus clown kramer was screaming for 'vaccine passports!' dat guy never knows what's going on.
and now, for all the yard to see, i will reveal the name of the restaurant in my tale of last december, and subsequently the source of much speculation here, just around the time of the historically expected post week 48 flare-up.....drumroll, please.... the monkey farm cafe in saybrook! we had burgers, with nary a mask in sight among the clientele.
changes? 'everybody's so different, i haven't changed...'
s-l640.jpg

Last edited:

polycom

Reaction Score
It's funny that you say that you wear your mask for social acceptance. Here in Alabama, I am one of the very few that is still wearing a mask. I was even told to remove my mask at one business because they were not allowed... I walked out and called the corporate office. Not sure of the outcome, but I'll shop elsewhere.
Once your fully vaxxed what’s the point of wearing a mask if you aren’t sick? Other than social signaling?

Reaction Score
Once your fully vaxxed what’s the point of wearing a mask if you aren’t sick? Other than social signaling?
It's still probably a good idea inside because of the tiny chance of spread inside and unvaxxed will be pretending they are vaxxed but it's idiocy outside, and they are still telling us to do it when there's people around outside.

polycom

Reaction Score
It's still probably a good idea inside because of the tiny chance of spread inside and unvaxxed will be pretending they are vaxxed but it's idiocy outside, and they are still telling us to do it when there's people around outside.

So social signaling. I can't worry about unvaxxed people, they aren't my problem getting the vax in most places its super easy if you get covid and you aren't vaxxed that is a personal choice. If I a vaxxed person gets covid that's unlucky but would be no different than the regular flu shot/ flu season. I'll likely still wear a mask in airports but not because of covid but more because of cold etc generally.

Reaction Score
So social signaling. I can't worry about unvaxxed people, they aren't my problem getting the vax in most places its super easy if you get covid and you aren't vaxxed that is a personal choice. If I a vaxxed person gets covid that's unlucky but would be no different than the regular flu shot/ flu season. I'll likely still wear a mask in airports but not because of covid but more because of cold etc generally.

I'm vaxxed and recently had COVID but will wear one when I have to wear one.

Reaction Score
Yes social signaling. It's pretty clear vaxxed people don't get really sick and they don't transmit to unvaxxed. I think people have about another month where they'll go along with this stuff but once it's summer the masks should come off, everyone who wants the vaxx will have had plenty of time to get it.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I love how people pretend they know things. That’s not new since covid, just more emphasized now.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Not true.

I mean, it is theoretically possible. But people keep confusing what is possible (being struck by lightning or say Chinese space debris) and what you need to worry about. Even with unvaxxed people, spread outside isn't anything to worry about. Never was.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom