OT: - What changes are you and family making to your lifestyle due to coranavirus? | Page 71 | The Boneyard

OT: What changes are you and family making to your lifestyle due to coranavirus?

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
I did my first brisket a couple of weeks ago after doing butts for years don’t be afraid to use the Texas crutch, all the smoke gets in the first couple of hours after that it’s just low heat, source don’t matter.
Thanks for this. What temp were you looking for and how did it turn out?

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Thanks for this. What temp were you looking for and how did it turn out?
I try to get between 225-250 but don't use a remote thermometer and have a WSM, so just take the digital reading every 1/2 hour by poking through the vent. Almost ran out of charcoal after 5 hours so wrapped it and finished it in the oven (225) for the last couple of hours, great ring and ok bark.

Reaction Score
So CT public schools are now officially distance learning until the end of the school year. My kid is bumbed about that and bored out of her mind.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
The school announcement is completely expected but also insane that they waited this long. Totally unfair to keep people particularly the naive and hopeful students in limbo this long.

Reaction Score
The school announcement is completely expected but also insane that they waited this long. Totally unfair to keep people particularly the naive and hopeful students in limbo this long.
My kid was hoping to go back for a week or two just to get closure. Horrible for the high school seniors who won't have that clean break before going to college.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Only the naive didn’t know this was going to be the way
Naive as in the 6-10 year old children who wake up everyday hoping its safe to see their teacher and their friends.

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
TeleMed was up and coming and gotten much bigger, much quicker during COVID.

Think about a stay at home mom, 2 kids, one of them 4, one just over a year old. The 4 yr old has a fever and runny nose.

Scenario A - She packs up the entire family, shleps across town, parks, takes out a stroller, maybe it's bad weather? Goes into a germy waiting room, waits 15 minutes, gets in the examination room, waits another 15 mintues. Dr comes in and spends 5 minutes looking him over. Fluids, aspirin, rest. Sends them home.

Scenario B - She schedules a TeleMed appt for 10:15. Connects at 10:15. Dr examines and asks questions and gives the same diagnosis and recommendation.

I actually used this a few years ago during a hurricane here in Jacksonville when my dog accidentally scratched my eye with her paw. Everything was locked down so I had to use a doctor over the internet from the local hospital. It worked great.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Guarantee the Vitamin D levels are at least as high in Tijuana as it is here in SD; where deaths in TJ despite way lower population have already healthily eclipsed that of SD

I’d say the populations of San Diego and Tijuana are only comparable in terms of their relative geographic coordinates to one another.

Certainly not in the same way most first world European countries are comparable to one another.

Reaction Score
I’d say the populations of San Diego and Tijuana are only comparable in terms of their relative geographic coordinates to one another.

Certainly not in the same way most first world European countries are comparable to one another.
Who cares? This is about reducing things down to Vitamin D, and generally, heat and sunlight as an alleged killer of the virus. It’s way worse in TJ despite at least equal access to sun, heat, and vitamin D.

You’re supporting my point that this comes down to SES more than anything

Reaction Score
Who cares? This is about reducing things down to Vitamin D, and generally, heat and sunlight as an alleged killer of the virus. It’s way worse in TJ despite at least equal access to sun, heat, and vitamin D.

You’re supporting my point that this comes down to SES more than anything

The point being it may very well be helpful in preventing deaths in the areas studied for public health initiatives to include provision and/or advertisement of vitamin D supplements to populations seen as deficient, and that it may be useful in areas which are comparable to those European nations socioeconomically.

And that it may, in fact, be different than what’s needed for similar initiatives in Tijuana.

Reaction Score
The point being it may very well be helpful in preventing deaths in the areas studied for public health initiatives to include provision and/or advertisement of vitamin D supplements to populations seen as deficient, and that it may be useful in areas which are comparable to those European nations socioeconomically.
Vitamin D isn’t preventing anything. Hence the reference to Tijuana, where it’s in abundance.

Reaction Score
Naive as in the 6-10 year old children who wake up everyday hoping its safe to see their teacher and their friends.
[/QUOTE the parents should be guiding their kids thru this pandemic not governor Lamont He’s never given false hope to opening schools so the parents shou on don’t have either

Reaction Score
So CT public schools are now officially distance learning until the end of the school year. My kid is bumbed about that and bored out of her mind.
Made me wonder about failing Seniors (including the knuckleheads), do they graduate automatically?
Also for those HS Senior baseballers who were hoping to land a schollie with excellent seasons. Hell are Universities even processing scholarship applications, and student loans efficiently nowadays?

I mean forget about graduations, the proms and all a lot of careers and dreams are upside down. Even if college was not a desire, the workforce situation is too competitive for them to even land a low paying job, due to the unemployment of so many experienced applicants.

I really feel for these kids, and am concerned about how they are coping with all this uncertainty. Who knows they may turn out to be the best graduating class in our Country's history (if it can be measured).

Hate sounding doom and gloom, but this Country (particularly the decision makers) need to really get going and roll out plans and solutions. This Country is definitely in a transition with an uncertain future.

Last edited:

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Made me wonder about failing Seniors (including the knuckleheads), do they graduate automatically.
Also for those HS Senior baseballers who were hoping to land a schollie with excellent seasons. Hell are Universities even processing scholarship applications, and student loans efficiently nowadays?

I mean forget about graduations, the proms and all a lot of careers and dreams are upside down. Even if college was not a desire, the workforce situation is too competitive for them to even land a low paying job, due to the unemployment of so many experienced applicants.

I really feel for these kids, and am concerned about how they are coping with all this uncertainty. Who knows they may turn out to be the best graduating class in our Country's history (if it can be measured).

Hate sounding doom and gloom, but this Country (particularly the decision makers) need to really get going and roll out plans and solutions. This Country is definitely in a transition with an uncertain future.

The part about being the best graduating class...not sure exactly where you're going with that. But the adversity this is throwing into the mix (locally, at least) could be a positive for some kids. My 11 year old daughter is my single biggest inspiration right now. She's incredibly social, and LOVES school. But she is somehow waking up and going to bed happy every day. Eagerly joins her online class time. Has improved at math. Practices her violin. We've been spending time playing games and shooting archery in the back yard.

She's been temporarily separated from some of the negative everyday influences - and they are plentiful. But she'll be back in the public school system when they open. And this weird hiatus may have been positive for her.

The flip-side is the kids (and even spouses) in bad home situations. I worry about the things potentially escalating there in lockdown.

Reaction Score
One restaurant's eating solution (in Amsterdam):

1588851422529.png

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Bumping a very old thread to see what changes people are still seeing nearly a year later? Did the year go as you expected? What changes are permanent?

In my case, we are still not back in the office. I took a company wide survey today with lots of questions about what we want to do. My response, hybrid work from home and office, but the unique sub-question was: how often do you want to go in? I thought initially 2 days a week, but on reflection said 2 days a month. I find I miss a lot of things, and the office is on the list, but low on the list. I'm more interested in meeting my work colleagues for a beer than actually working in the office.

The bump was triggered by this article in the WaPost. It will appear this weekend. The featured family are friends of ours and live 3 doors down. It is interesting premise, that as works shifts to home (as it was in the agrarian economy) we may see more 3 generation family structures again, especially with both parents working. The oldest can help with youngest, and kids can help aging parents. Work from home is going to provide lots of new flexibility for people to be where they want.

Families reunite in pandemic and rethink what home means - The Washington Post

Reaction Score
Bumping a very old thread to see what changes people are still seeing nearly a year later? Did the year go as you expected? What changes are permanent?

In my case, we are still not back in the office. I took a company wide survey today with lots of questions about what we want to do. My response, hybrid work from home and office, but the unique sub-question was: how often do you want to go in? I thought initially 2 days a week, but on reflection said 2 days a month. I find I miss a lot of things, and the office is on the list, but low on the list. I'm more interested in meeting my work colleagues for a beer than actually working in the office.

The bump was triggered by this article in the WaPost. It will appear this weekend. The featured family are friends of ours and live 3 doors down. It is interesting premise, that as works shifts to home (as it was in the agrarian economy) we may see more 3 generation family structures again, especially with both parents working. The oldest can help with youngest, and kids can help aging parents. Work from home is going to provide lots of new flexibility for people to be where they want.

Families reunite in pandemic and rethink what home means - The Washington Post

I sent out a survey as well. We will likely be fully open in June, so long as 75% of the employee population is vaccinated. Work at home will still be allowed but subject to the department head's discretion. In most departments I think we'll have at least 1/2 of the people working from home at least some of the time.

To the extent that we are taking any precautions, it's only because I don't want the kids to have to quarantine from school if my wife or I catch it. That will end in a week or so.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Been at work in-office 90% of the time since May 20, 2020 (5 person office). Wife has been WFH 90%. I like coming to the office. My wife has a hard time shutting the day down. I am easily distracted at work. Last March-April showed I am even more so at home.

Both 2020 youth Spring travel & rec soccer were cancelled and Little League was delayed to June-August, with strict guidelines. Had to adjust the Summer camps schedule but we found enough to keep the boys busy. The kids were mostly hybrid to start the school year, but have been full time in-person since November. Winter Sports were delayed and truncated to about a 5 week season. Spring 2021 Soccer and Baseball have gone off on time and mostly without a hitch.

Observations:
Last Summer showed us that we can abide by the rules, while still taking some calculated risks that will allow us to enjoy life. For instance we had a limited number of neighbors over on The 4th and for my son's birthday. We still vacationed in Ocean City NJ, and while there was no football, it allowed time to play more golf than I had the previous six seasons combined.

Aside from the vaccine, they are finding more, different, and effective treatments. So I'd expect this summer to be even more open, as the Northeast at least gets closer to herd immunity. Hopefully I can integrate UConn football, while maintaining the golf outings and smoked-meats hobby.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom