What can UConn superstar Paige Bueckers do for an encore? | The Boneyard

What can UConn superstar Paige Bueckers do for an encore?

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
“I’m also trying to get better with the leadership aspect now that I’m a sophomore,” Bueckers said. “I’m trying to help the younger guys and even the older guys. If I know something I want to be able to share it and just be able to be comfortable to use my voice.”

"What else has she learned? Primarily, the devil is in the details. “I sort of brushed those away sometimes last year,” Bueckers admitted. “I wouldn’t wait for screens, I wouldn’t set up screens, so when coach is harping on the little details with me, I try to focus really hard on them.” “For her, [the improvement is] more subtle,” Auriemma said."

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The answer is obvious, right? ;) She can win the tournament. For someone as talented as she is, that is all that matters. She has nothing to prove to anyone. I suspect she thinks a lot about how to integrate Azzi into the mix, because we will need Azzi deep in the tournament, come late March/early April.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Same article. different title?

Reaction Score
I guess I would alter your thought slightly to, “She can lead her team to a championship.” It’s going to take more than Paige for UConn to win it all.
That's spot on. UCONN winning the NC and her being the MOP. It's not going to be as easy as some people are thinking. There are many very good players and some very strong teams out there.

Reaction Score
Yes, I agree with "lead the team" to the championship. I didn't use those words, but I gave an example of leading, by pointing to how she will work diligently to help Azzi.

As we know, the most important thing for this team to do, unlike the last few years, is to bring its "A" game in the FF. If we don't, we will lose. If we do, we will win. it is as simple, as as difficult, as that. We shall see.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Click for largest version of the graph in the above post.

FDH_Oq4XoAIXV3Y

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
The answer is obvious, right? ;) She can win the tournament. For someone as talented as she is, that is all that matters. She has nothing to prove to anyone. I suspect she thinks a lot about how to integrate Azzi into the mix, because we will need Azzi deep in the tournament, come late March/early April.
Question..many AA on the Uconn wall of honor haven't won a NC?

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Click for largest version of the graph in the above post.

FDH_Oq4XoAIXV3Y
Why does Kia Nurse have two data points?

For the UConn players on the graph, both the offensive and defensive win shares appear to be strongly correlated with freshman minutes (which makes sense). KML scores high because she played so many minutes as a freshman. As I recall, she got quite a number of steals and defensive rebounds even as a freshman.

I wonder how Maya Moore would have scored on this graph. Probably off the chart at the offensive end.

Amashutcha

Basketball enjoyer
Reaction Score
Interestingly, according to the book Basketball on Paper, it's more difficult to maintain a high offensive rating the bigger the player's role/usage rate is on the team which I think makes Bueckers' ORtg more impressive.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Interestingly, according to the book Basketball on Paper, it's more difficult to maintain a high offensive rating the bigger the player's role/usage rate is on the team which I think makes Bueckers' ORtg more impressive.

Indeed. Smaller sample sizes can skew things. Imagine had Paige been healthy the entire season.

Reaction Score
None of this is really significant...I've seen great numbers for many players in all sports, but the main one everyone looks at is Championships. If PG and the rest of team deliver a NC, that is it. Done deal.

Reaction Score
Defensively she needs to get better, but I think the defense won't be known until she is guarding the best player on the opposing team. Christyn has done that and done a really good job at it.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Defensively she needs to get better, but I think the defense won't be known until she is guarding the best player on the opposing team. Christyn has done that and done a really good job at it.
She doesn't have to guard their best player, Christyn and Nika will take care of that. Paige has improved really well defensively during her first year to a point that I don't believe she would be considered a liability. Her overall game will improve as she gets more experience, but as Geno said, she is so good that the improvements will be subtle.
We are already blown away by her talent, any improvement would be amazing.

Reaction Score
I'm guessing that her statistical output will drop sharply. But that's a good thing. If all the newcomers perform as they are capable, and if ONO really improves as Coach Geno says she has, then Paige could find herself "fitting in" rather than being the essential "must score" player. And if the "team" coalesces, then we'll see more blowouts and less minutes for Paige as she takes extended rests, and sits permanently earlier than last season. For Coach Geno teams, mediocre stats for his stars mean big wins or the team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom