What brought you to WBB? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

What brought you to WBB?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Thanks for the post. Whenever I get a chance to talk about the UCONN women is a great day !

I had been watching a little women's bball in the 90's. Of course back then you did not have many options to watch, unless it was the Final Four. I watched the Nat Championship in '94. UNC's Charlotte Smith buried a trey with 2 secs. left to beat Louisiana Tech. A great game ! That got me started watching a little more. Tenn. was playing good ball. (I know, I know)

Then, I think it was '95 or '96 a whole new world opened for me when UCONN played Tenn. We had 2 young ladies named Rizzotti & Lobo. I could not believe it ! They ran the floor and played like the men, but with better fundamentals. I saw a couple of end to end fast breaks and the ball never touched the floor. I had never seen a team so unselfish in any sport, women or men.

Geno treated those girls as players, not women, and I believe that is the difference. You have UCONN, and then there is everyone else !
Can't wait for next year and.....# 9

Reaction Score
What brought me to wbb? The Detroit Pistons. (I know, there's now some irony there.)

Reaction Score
I've recounted this before, and on the Boneyard, so the short and sweet version:
I was literally browsing channels sometime during the 94-95 regular season. Some channel was carrying a Uconn game, and I stopped to watch for a few minutes, but didn't expect to watch long. A ball was rolling on the floor, headed out of bounds, when Jen Rizzotti dove to save it. I said "wow" and I was hooked.

So I started as a Rizzotti fan, quickly became a UConn fan, then became a fan of the entire sport.
funny but that was my introduction also. Channel surfing and saw Jen from Ct
and admired how the women passed the ball, backcut etc. etc. Hooked, then D came along. woow

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Like most of the in-state fans, winning teams. I started paying attention during the Bascomb-Lishness-Pattyson era. Of course, the first NC cemented it. As things turn out in our small world, our family became good friends of the Lobo family because my wife taught with Rebecca's mom and we saw her parents socially.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Taya Reimer was seen to be a Uconn lean at one time, but the factors at play in her decision making process aren't the same. Every recruitment is a little different, every kid is a lot different, and the only thing you can do is hope the factors weighing in your school's/team's favor win out. If playing for an elite program that's consistently top 10 is important to Sierra, she can't go wrong with any of her top four. If playing for the team most consistently in the hunt for an NC, closest geographically, and where she has a family connection are determining factors, Uconn has to be pretty confident. But there are a y number of factors that might sway a kid. The ones that are most salient, however, are all positives for the Huskies.

Reaction Score
My mother played in the 40's; 6 on 6; 3 in the front court, 3 in the backcourt who defended the other team's frontcourt players.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Taya Reimer was seen to be a Uconn lean at one time, but the factors at play in her decision making process aren't the same. Every recruitment is a little different, every kid is a lot different, and the only thing you can do is hope the factors weighing in your school's/team's favor win out. If playing for an elite program that's consistently top 10 is important to Sierra, she can't go wrong with any of her top four. If playing for the team most consistently in the hunt for an NC, closest geographically, and where she has a family connection are determining factors, Uconn has to be pretty confident. But there are a y number of factors that might sway a kid. The ones that are most salient, however, are all positives for the Huskies.
So Taya Reimer and Sierra Calhoun brought you to WBB? :rolleyes:

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
Sheryl Swoopes, & Tina Thompson.

Reaction Score
1995 UCONN season, and specifically the tourney that year. Used to be a hater of WBB from when I dated the PG on our HS team (that beat Anne Donovan's to win the state championship my senior year -- 1973). Hated throughout college, and years later (usual guy ego thing).

But then I moved to CT in 1994, and as I lost interest in Pro Basketball, and was starting to lose it for the way college ball was evolving, I realized the pick and role and screen driven motion offense that I was watching UCONN run, and the tough MoM (WoW??) defense they played is exactly what I was taught back in HS -- and that I could relate to it so much better then the men's game most nights.

And so as the different ladies came through the program and I watched Geno modify his offense to their skillsets, and some of the ladies replaced their set shots with jumpers, I just realized I liked that type of BB more than Phi Slamma Jamma. And so here I am -- a big WBB fan.

AllAmerRedHeads

Barnstorming America author
Reaction Score
my wife is a hair dresser and one of her clients mentioned how they went to game and that UConn was 7-0 and on CPTV. that was the fall or so of 1994. We were obsessed with them by January.

Yet what really pushed us over the top was how great they were as people and accessible for fans. Not just UConn, but also the Blizzard. Carolyn Jones would come over to our house.

Then when I met my first All American Red Head, it just went to a whole different level.

A journey i never thought was in my life. Women's basketball? I never would have guessed back before 1994.

Now, I wear an official Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame ring on my hand for my work with the Red Heads and helping them get inducted.

Thank you UConn!!!! Thank you CPTV!!!!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
My mother played in the 40's; 6 on 6; 3 in the front court, 3 in the backcourt who defended the other team's frontcourt players.
Iowa girls basketball til sometime in the 90's

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
University students in my upper level classes would invite me to their games...easily hooked on WBB, as it was how I learned the game. What a gift.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
1973 AIAW WBB Tournament held at Queens College, Flushing, N.Y.
I was sitting in the cafeteria with my friends and in comes about 10 girls in warm ups from I think Kansas State. Then another team comes in from Florida or Florida State. I looked at my friend and figured we would ask some of the girls what was up. They told us that the tournament was here, at QC, and we should come and watch it. I went to two games, the ones that Queens College played in, and won. I loved it, and I thought the girls were cute too. I didnt make the championship game vs Immaculta, (QC lost). I have followed college games since and have followed HS games and AAU starting about 7-8 years ago. I have met some wonderful people, players, parents, and fans.
QC and Immaculata are both D3 now(maybe D2).

I think Lucille Kyvallos was the coach then, and Gail Marquis should have been a freshman on that team.

Kansas State lost to Southern Connecticut State, which was a power at the time. Florida State was there, but lost to eventual champion Immaculata in the first round. Bracket

ABachelor6CR

Time Traveler
Reaction Score
in 1994 CPTV started broadcasting a few (very few) games. I walked into my parents sun room and my mom was watching one of the games.I sat down and turned the channel. My mom looked at me and said "I was watching that!! I looked at her and said "Since when do you like sports??" She replied "I don't, just basketball. " "Why basketball?" I asked. "Because I played point guard on church league. Your father had to sign a permission slip for me to play because I was only 20 and he was my legal guardian"

So I started watching and was pleasantly surprised on how good they were (and not to mention a few were very good looking). In 1996 I got a few tickets to some of the games and by 1997 became a season ticket holder until 2005. Went to every game, as long as there wasn't a snow storm, that they played.

Reaction Score
I kind of came to WCBB through the back door. I first started following collage BB in the late 50's when I as a very young lad began following the Kentucky Wildcats and its legendary coach Adolf Rupp. The games were only available on the radio all broadcast by it renowned play-by-play announcer Cawood Ledford. To say I was a Kentucky fan would be an understatement. I bled Kentucky blue long before UCONN blue, but blue it is none the less. But after moving to New England and Kentucky basketball was no longer readily available to me I turned to finding a "new" home team. UCONN Women! I have also become disgusted with the one and done mentality on the Men's side of the game. I have been following the UCONN Women since the mid to late 90's and religiously since 2000.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I think Lucille Kyvallos was the coach then, and Gail Marquis should have been a freshman on that team.

Kansas State lost to Southern Connecticut State, which was a power at the time. Florida State was there, but lost to eventual champion Immaculata in the first round. Bracket
FWIW, Gail Marquis went on to be a color announcer on Rutgers WBB TV for some time. While popular with the fans as a person, she took the inability to pronounce names to a new low, and was eventually replaced. Still, she provided an introduction to the history of WBB, as she was from an era before we were following the game.

Reaction Score
Like some other posters I became a WBB Fan in 1994 because of CPTV. UCONN got as far as the elite eight that year losing to the eventual National Champion North Carolina.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
I kind of came to WCBB through the back door. I first started following collage BB in the late 50's when I as a very young lad began following the Kentucky Wildcats and its legendary coach Adolf Rupp. The games were only available on the radio all broadcast by it renowned play-by-play announcer Cawood Ledford. To say I was a Kentucky fan would be an understatement. I bled Kentucky blue long before UCONN blue, but blue it is none the less. But after moving to New England and Kentucky basketball was no longer readily available to me I turned to finding a "new" home team. UCONN Women! I have also become disgusted with the one and done mentality on the Men's side of the game. I have been following the UCONN Women since the mid to late 90's and religiously since 2000.

Although born in CT, I grew up in Louisville in the 60's and 70's. Listened (and watched) mostly U of L, but many a 'Cats game too. Cawood Ledford was great on the radio, just a bit gravely-voiced..I can still hear "..and, the 'Cats are a-runnin', and a-gunnin'..!", and, "Givens just went through that defense like a snake through a swamp!"

Reaction Score
I'm just wondering if anyone can remember a moment that turned your interest towards WBB in general. We weren't all born automatic fans of WBB and I remember my first interaction with NCAA WBB and I have only got worse about wanting to know more and more about the teams, the players, and recruits.

I can clearly remember sitting on my couch in my house doing homework and seeing the Tennessee vs. Rutgers game that was so controversial. For some reason I really wanted Rutgers to win that game, without any past knowledge of the teams. They lost and I was livid. I can also picture myself watching the 2008 Final Four came on and I kept hearing about Big Syl and Ice vs. Ace and a new star coming along in Maya Moore. I rooted harcore for LSU to finally make it to the Championship game was very intrigued by the Stanford team lead by this attractive and energetic point guard, Candice Wiggins. Having no real knowledge of Uconn at the time I was pleased to see Stanford move on but devastated when LSU lost. The next game didn't get much better for me as the Lady Vols won.

I'm sure many of you have stories from further back than 5 years ago and I'd love to hear them!
Worked in SID office at UCONN in 1978 and covered womens team.

Reaction Score
Short version: couldn't care much for WBB till I saw a game on TV by chance in 2002 and fell in love! Sue, DT, Swin, AJ and TW.....A team that played with such passing (loved especially the post to post passing0, shooting, rebounding, killer instinct, smart basketball, and all with amazing visible joy! 2 years later I found the Boneyard and my fate was sealed :)
I was lucky to see live 3 championships (2009, 2010 and 2013) and hope to see many more as in Geno we trust :)

Reaction Score
I was 10 years old and my father was a high school girl's basketball coach in 1980, so I would attend all of the games and I became a big fan of women's basketball then. However I remember the moment where I lost my mind and became a huge WBB fan, it was the 1983 women's basketbal championship between USC and Tennessee. USC had the Mcgee twins and some lady named Cheryl Miller. I remember rushing home from church to watch that '83 title game. So that 1983 was my moment where I became a WBB fan and huge follower of the women's game.

Reaction Score
Nice idea!
I have always considered myself a feminist (despite being male and being told by a sociology teacher that being male automatically makes me a sexist :) ). I love women’s gymnastics, hockey, tennis etc. I was a big fan of basketball as a kid, however I got sick of all the dunking over shot making(I am short myself and started to see the nba as more a height over skill league). Because of my love of women’s sports I picked up Bird at the Buzzer for a few bucks when Boarder’s was closing fell in love with the game and uconn quickly. I saw Sue and Sveta play for Seattle on tv and was hooked. Loved how they played the gave.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Tracy Lis did it for me (HS averaging 35-40pts per game at Killingly) then of course the 95' parade and Nykesha Sales (local talent). I also was aware of Nadine Domond (Bridgeport)

I was sitting here trying to remember her name. I was living in Meriden in the late 80s for a few months and followed my cousin's HS team. In the playoffs they faced Lis. In the regular season they faced Kathy Ferrier from Bristol who I think went to UConn. I followed her which made me a fan of the program. Also, at a party in Southington I started talking to this cute girl. I think she was Cathy Green who was a bench player for Geno.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom