What are your favorite sports teams these days? And.... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What are your favorite sports teams these days? And....

Reaction Score
really, really dislike the Dallas Cowboys, the L.A. Lakers, and Boris Spassky.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
the Penn State football team and the PSU wrestling team. A ton of victories all around.

Since you are into the Nittany Lions and you like winning teams, you gotta add their women's volleyball to your list.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
the PAC12 except Stanford - the only other PAC school I don't really dislike in any sport

No conference solidarity? I can understand many don't like the LA schools. Oregon and their Nike money/nouveau riche fan base can be off putting. But some of the schools, it's kinda hard to work up any significant dislike for.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I like the idea of being a chameleon fan. I have a few primary rooting interests and a bunch of secondary teams I follow. I've tuned out of professional sports for the most part. I was a big fan of the Portland Trailblazers growing up, but barely follow them now. I might be the only person in Seattle that isn't a fanatical Seahawks fan. I just don't care about the NFL.

So anyway I follow college sports mostly. Gonzaga and Arizona MBB. Washington women's VB. Pretty much most Pac 12 teams in general in most sports, although Oregon is kinda hard to root for (my parents went to Oregon St., it's in my blood to dislike the Ducks). I like Oregon St., Washington, Stanford WBB. I follow UConn WBB because they are so good and set the standard. Football, I'm kind of a drifter. Have followed different college teams at different times.

Pretty much anti SEC football across the board and Notre Dame FB. The Irish aren't so bad in other sports. Have a good strong healthy dislike for Nebraska WVB (UW plays them almost every year in the playoffs, fairly strong rivalry for 2 teams who almost never play each other during the regular season). Absolutely despise Duke MBB.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
No conference solidarity? I can understand many don't like the LA schools. Oregon and their Nike money/nouveau riche fan base can be off putting. But some of the schools, it's kinda hard to work up any significant dislike for.
I can be specific for the 4 sports I follow:
Washington State - never cared for football coach Mike Leach or WBB's June Daugherty (don't think she is a good coach)
Washington - never cared for their Volleyball or Softball programs
Oregon - no problem with WBB but don't like the other sports
Utah and Cal - because, at various times in various sports, they beat us when they shouldn't
the LA schools, as you say - they win too much (although I actually like Mark Trakh, always have)
Colorado and Oregon State fit your "kinda hard to work up any significant dislike for" I admit.

And yes, in select situations, I would root for a PAC team because it is good for the conference. But it is surprisingly hard. Back in the days of the old Big East, I could always root for anyone based on conference affiliation. Haven't felt that here in the PAC.

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score
Missouri WBB
UConn WBB
KC Chiefs
STL Cardinals
STL Blues

Reaction Score
It's been a long, long time since I came to hate a team that I used to root for, but the New York Giants just became No.3 on the list.

I grew up on Long Island in the fifties where my natural teams should have been the Mets and the Islanders . . . but they didn't exist back then. So I rooted for the Yankees and the Rangers. Mickey and Whitey and Yogi. The GAG line (Ratelle, Hatfield and Gilbert), Eddie Giacomin, Brad Park. Then came the early 70's and George Steinbrenner (the original coiner of the term, "You're Fired"), Billy Martin, the little weasel. I couldn't take it anymore so I became an ardent Yankee hater and a Met fan. Then, in April '75, the Rangers lost to the Islanders on a J.P Parise goal 11 seconds into overtime. And in November, they traded Jean Ratelle and Brad Park for the hated Phil Esposito and Carol Vadnais. Exit one Ranger fan, enter one Islander fan.

I remember the delicious revenge I got all thru the early 80's. I was living on 81st Street on the Upper East Side then and had Manhattan Cable. Manhattan Cable, which covered the east side up to the south side of 86th Street, did not have Sports Channel which broadcast the Islander games. So, I would come home from work and go up to one of the Irish pubs (like Clancy's or the Blarney Stone), on the north side of 86th Street (where Teleprompter ruled and carried Sports Channel) and watch the Islander/Ranger games with a bunch of Ranger fans. Bliss.

Now the Giants bench Eli Manning (ending his consecutive games started streak one short of Peyton) for Geno Smith . . . the same Geno Smith who couldn't make it with the Jets. Thank god I moved to Connecticut 17 years ago, so I can now make the Pats my go-to NFL team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wilson

Top Bottom