What are the Key(s) to beating Iowa - (The Infamous B.Y. Scout) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What are the Key(s) to beating Iowa - (The Infamous B.Y. Scout)

Reaction Score
Iowa lost to Michigan State (1x), Ohio State (2x), Maryland (2x), Indiana (2x), and Northwestern (2x). I would like to go back and see how they beat them.
Lost to Michigan State by 2 in the beginning of the season, but later beat them by 11,

Vs Ohio , lost by 2 in OT and later by 5.

Vs Indiana, lost by13 and 9.

Vs, Northwestern, lost by 10 and 7.

Reaction Score
Hey if Aubrey could do a pretty good job on Ionescu last season, why not let her take a shot at Clark this season? Have her and Williams always tracking her and getting in her space and soon enough she’ll either prove she’s unstoppable or she’ll get frustrated and have to defer to teammates. My main concern is the three point shooting of Iowa. The paint game is either a wash or in UConn’s favor, but the perimeter shooting could be an issue if Iowa gets hot or drives and draws fouls (Arkansas anyone?). In the end, I see UConn getting the win—though to call it an easy win might be an overstatement.

Reaction Score
Well Clark can't score unless she has the ball to shoot and she can't assist other team members in scoring unless she has the ball to pass to them. So you may want to play deny deny deny using NM, CW, EW and AG to guard and hound Clark the entire game.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
I found these Keys to beat Iowa. Can someone pass them on to Geno? Thx

beat_iowa.jpg

Reaction Score
I think Iowa is a bit like Depaul...............they live and die by the three point shot ...............when they are shooting and hitting those threes they can beat anybody but when they're not they are in trouble............Clark will get her 25-35 points regardless of the defense but hold Czinano under 15 and limit Marshall and Warnock's three point shooting and they're cooked......

freekimchee

food whisperer
Reaction Score
Make Clark work really hard on defense. Whoever she guards should take it to her and try and get her in foul trouble.

Reaction Score
Hold on, I have read in many treads on the Bone Yard that Anna M is a lock down defender. I have read that she is very fast and is a shoot blocker plus a steals machine. Her 3 point shot was money its in a lot of Bone Yard treads. Why not put Anna on Clark??

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
I found these Keys to beat Iowa. Can someone pass them on to Geno? Thx

View attachment 66246
I was looking for those keys, thank goodness somebody found them... I'll just collect them from Geno when he's done with them.... :)

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Make Clark work really hard on defense. Whoever she guards should take it to her and try and get her in foul trouble.
Clark will never work hard on defense so you can forget that strategy. She does foul and has fouled out of 3 games but most of her fouls are either charges or cheap, reach-ins.

Reaction Score
Lost to Michigan State by 2 in the beginning of the season, but later beat them by 11,

Vs Ohio , lost by 2 in OT and later by 5.

Vs Indiana, lost by13 and 9.

Vs, Northwestern, lost by 10 and 7.
But Iowa lost right? UConn lost to Arkansas by 3, but they lost.

Reaction Score
Hold on, I have read in many treads on the Bone Yard that Anna M is a lock down defender. I have read that she is very fast and is a shoot blocker plus a steals machine. Her 3 point shot was money its in a lot of Bone Yard treads. Why not put Anna on Clark??
I think I’ve been reading the wrong threads LOL. I haven’t seen much of that. Anna is way too slow to stay with Clark.

Reaction Score
Totally agree! I think it’s all about getting a good shot contest on Clark and then shutting down everyone else. Clark is a scorer and I don’t think she can be limited to 10-15. She’ll get 20+ but can we stop the others? I think so. Rebounding/Defense are keys. Offensively I think we will get some easy shots and second chance points. PB has the “supporting” cast and Clark doesn’t is what it comes down to.
I'm not sure where the idea that Caitlin doesn't have a good team around her comes from. At least as of late, aka Big10 tourney and NCAA tourney, they have all contributed. I mean when you look at the box score, taking out Caitlin's points, it's really well balanced. Our defense really needs to step it up. Syracuse missed so many chances and open shots. I doubt Iowa's shots will fall the same way. I'm still pretty confident UConn will win, but it's going to tough.

Reaction Score
I never read that. She’s not the lock down defender for sure.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm not sure where the idea that Caitlin doesn't have a good team around her comes from. At least as of late, aka Big10 tourney and NCAA tourney, they have all contributed. I mean when you look at the box score, taking out Caitlin's points, it's really well balanced. Our defense really needs to step it up. Syracuse missed so many chances and open shots. I doubt Iowa's shots will fall the same way. I'm still pretty confident UConn will win, but it's going to tough.
I mean take away PB and Clark. UConn wins. 100% UConn has the stronger supporting cast, I don’t think that’s a surprise though and that doesn’t take away that Iowa is a decent team. I’m not saying that Clark doesn’t have a good team around her, my point is UConn’s is much better.

Reaction Score
I mean take away PB and Clark. UConn wins. 100% UConn has the stronger supporting cast, I don’t think that’s a surprise though and that doesn’t take away that Iowa is a decent team. I’m not saying that Clark doesn’t have a good team around her, my point is UConn’s is much better.
True... without Clark there to draw attention and create chances, UConn definitely wins even without PB.

Reaction Score
Olivia has to be as aggressive as she was against Syracuse. If she can play that way against 6'7", she should be able to play that way against Iowa. Stop rushing up the court and turning the ball over. Caitlin will get her points, but don't let her go off like Chelsea Dungee. Play smart. The simple pass is the better pass. It doesn't matter if it's a simple pass, as long as it leads to a score. Stay out of foul trouble. Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
This is a replay of Arkansas but Iowa is better and smarter and they have an inside game. They open the floor and create a lot of space because they shoot 3's well. The defense has to stay in front of their player, help and recover when Clark drives(and cover the weak side and post) and avoid fouls. TEAM defense is the key with rotations, helping, going over screens, and/or agressive switching. Iowa also got a lot on transition vs Kentucky so defensive transition is a key... nothing easy! The bigs must do a job on Czinano. Clark will get hers and so will the post player. I assume the team will be looking at video to pick up some clues or tendencies, little habits that Clark may have or favorite spots on the floor she likes to get to. Anything thast can be done to make her more predictable,make it a little tougher on her, or reduce her effectiveness would be important. Try to limit their damage and then score consistenly, especially inside (it would be great if Clark or Czinano get in foul trouble). We will have to shoot well to keep up. Make FT like vs Syracuse. This is going to be a close one and hopefully a win.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Northwestern beat them by holding them to 67. Indiana beat them by holding them to 72. Rutgers also held them to 73 in a game that Iowa won.

Here are the winning team's scores in their losses:

Michigan State 86

Northwestern 77

Ohio State 84

Northwestern 87

Ohio State 92

Indiana 85

Maryland 111

Indiana 89

Maryland 104

It seems as if one key would be to make layups, make free throws, and make some 3-pointers. Scoring 90 seems to work.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Who will guard Clark? Against Arkansas, no one could stop Dungee.

Reaction Score
Kentucky lose was their low FG %
how many time their wasted of the lay up , and second ,third chances
we defense well and make more drives and lay up (due to their bad defense)
cause them fouls trouble
we will easily win 20++

Reaction Score
Iowa's like Arkansas but better from the perimeter. Arkansas shot well above their usual long range percentages to build the lead we couldn't recover from, especially with that absurd 70% FG, 6-7 3pt, 31 pts 3rd quarter.

If we don't defend the perimeter well, Iowa can pretty easily match what Arkansas did, and that would not be very good.

Essentially, we're going to see how much UConn learned from that Arkansas loss. To my eye, their defense became much better after that game, but this is the biggest test of that so far in the tournament. If we can even reduce their efficacy a little, I like our offense's chances against their defense.

I will say that I won't be overjoyed to see us attempting zones against Iowa, but what do I know, I'm no coach. :D

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom