What are the best 2,020 songs ever written ? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What are the best 2,020 songs ever written ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Yeah, its a list from a tiny sample which is sort of the charm of it. There were only 2400 entries with up to 10 songs from Philadelphia area radio listeners that tune into a small, if much beloved station.

That's how you get things like "Angel from Montgomery" weighing in at 15. It's a perfectly good song, and I happened to have a Bonnie Raitt album with that song when I was at UConn more than 40 years ago, but number 15 all time ?

Also how you get things like It ain't no use buy New Orleans funk band The Meters. Back in the day it was played at that WXPN and enough people remember it to put it solidly in the middle of the pack at 1063. Don't think it would happen with a bigger sample.

Results weren't unexpected given location of station.

I don't have any animus towards Bruce. I'm not as high on him as those who seem to be 5-10 years older than me.

As I said outside of what I believe is his over representation, rest of top 20 is fine by me. I would agree Angel of Montgomery is an outlier. I like the Susan Tedeschii version better.

Also, seeing some of the submitted lists, love Poncho and Lefty by Townes Van Zandt.

Reaction Score
MacArthur Park
Nobody really knows what it's about but as a DeadHead I can appreciate a little existential ambiguity.
Maybe Unbroken Chain would have been a better choice.

1608271721401.jpg

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Yeah, its a list from a tiny sample which is sort of the charm of it. There were only 2400 entries with up to 10 songs from Philadelphia area radio listeners that tune into a small, if much beloved station.

That's how you get things like "Angel from Montgomery" weighing in at 15. It's a perfectly good song, and I happened to have a Bonnie Raitt album with that song when I was at UConn more than 40 years ago, but number 15 all time ?

Also how you get things like It ain't no use by New Orleans funk band The Meters. Back in the day it was played at that WXPN and enough people remember it to put it solidly in the middle of the pack at 1063. Don't think it would happen with a bigger sample.

Edit: Somehow I had forgotten that John Prine passed away this year, so the high ranking of Angel from Montgomery was a result of individual fans wanting to make sure he made the list. Apparently enough of them did to boost him all the way to 15. Another example of something that can happen with a small targeted sample that wouldn't happen if you took a survey of a couple of million.
All true, likely, but it was still gratifying to see songs like "In Every Dream Home a Heartache" and that at least a few people actually remember Strawbs.

I can't really argue the top 40, other than two entries for "Hallelujah". I'm impressed "Waterloo Sunset", a song that never got play in the US even when it came out 53 years ago, is at #53 - and that this is coming from Philly. And I think "Layla" is highly overrated.

Reaction Score
Legend has it Jerry Garcia wrote the music and Robert Hunter wrote the lyrics simultaneously but separately in single sittings during an intense lightening storm in San Fran (and both while on LSD). Hunter was so excited he ran to the studio to record the lyrics only to be joined by JG who was coming in to do the same with the music to which they matched up perfectly.

No idea how much of that is actually true but I do know they only played the song live in it’s entirety one time. I also have heard it’s one of the most difficult songs to play. It’s long like 15 mins but if you do give it a listen make sure to let it play all the way thru cause it takes some wild turns.

even if u just completely made that up, i'd buy it

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
There were a few entries with multiple songs on the list that I had never come across before. They must be local artists or DJ favorites. I've been listening to WXRT in Chicago for a long time and they have championed some lesser known bands over the years. Smithereens, Del Amitri, Poi Dog Pondering to name a few. Can someone enlighten me on Josh Ritter? Also, only one Jam song and one Los Lobos song? C'mon man.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
16:17, 1 of 12 songs on the album
Funny. I bumped it up from the 17 minutes I'd originally estimated. No prophet I.

In 1997, I worked at a Sam Goody store when it was released as a record with a conventional 5-song Side A, and the Terrapin suite as Side B. We were encouraged to play new releases in the store, and the manager was baffled whenever we slipped it on, even if it felt like a real come down from the preceding period on the Dead's own self-named United Artists-distributed label. Customers were more accustomed to hearing ELO, Rumours, Aja, and the "Saturday Night Fever" soundtrack.

Because they were major label 'product,' we were also 'allowed' sneak on Elvis Costello's debut and a Sire Records promo with Talking Heads, Ramones, Dead Boys, and Richard Hell that came with a heavy cardboard ceiling hanging that said, "New Wave: Get behind it before it gets past you" (or something close). A dozen or so years ago, I gave my copy of this to a friend who would care more about it than I, and a few years later he posted a Facebook picture of it hanging in his basement along with a link to its recent eBay sale (by somebody else) for $230 or so.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure the best song ever is 'God Save the Queen' by the Sex Pistols and it only made it to 1915.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Legend has it Jerry Garcia wrote the music and Robert Hunter wrote the lyrics simultaneously but separately in single sittings during an intense lightening storm in San Fran (and both while on LSD). Hunter was so excited he ran to the studio to record the lyrics only to be joined by JG who was coming in to do the same with the music to which they matched up perfectly.

No idea how much of that is actually true but I do know they only played the song live in it’s entirety one time. I also have heard it’s one of the most difficult songs to play. It’s long like 15 mins but if you do give it a listen make sure to let it play all the way thru cause it takes some wild turns.

Your story is kinda accurate except for the "both on LSD part" That is not accurate. Also they didnt join in the studio, nor did they meet there.

Thats not the way they worked. Its this simple (and I guess a lot less romantic) Hunter wrote the lyrics, Garcia came up up with the music on the same day in the same storm (driving. as legend goes), but they were at least 30 miles apart. When Hunter gave him lyrics on their next get together Garcia found they fit the music .

Last edited:

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Of additional possible interest to yarders, the Grateful Dead has 23 so far (Warf Rat came in at 882)

...............................my name is August_west..........................................

Reaction Score
It is a list. Like many other lists. Can't really dispute it, but just the same, no real risks were taken as it is mostly Usa/England-centric. It accounts for the many hits throughout the years that clearly acknowledge a small fraction of music in existence but makes no effort to explore the many obscure gems, even within the US or England. But I guess when it is based on votes of the masses, that can be expected.

I would be shocked if it even included somewhat known bands like Big Star, The stones Roses, Trash can Sinatras, or Can or artists like Rory Gallagher but just the same, the absence of such bands/artists kind of invalidates the list and the average persons taste in music just the same.

Spotify, deezer and lastfm exist, go explore music more!

Reaction Score
II would be shocked if it even included somewhat known bands like Big Star, The stones Roses, Trash can Sinatras, or Can or artists like Rory Gallagher but just the same, the absence of such bands/artists kind of invalidates the list and the average persons taste in music just the same.

Spotify, deezer and lastfm exist, go explore music more!

Big Star had two: September Gurls #505, and Thirteen #301

Stone Roses had three: Elephant Stone at 1954, She Bangs the Drums at1422, and
I Wanna Be Adored at 289

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The Spinners only had one and it wasn't Rubberband Man.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Rut Roh, this is going to take a while.

Free Bird is one of them, not in any particular order
Simple Man
Make You Feel My Love
I'll Stand By You
Monday Morning
My Way
Little Drummer Boy
I Get By With a Little Help From my Friends