What an atrocious game vs Syracuse | The Boneyard

What an atrocious game vs Syracuse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just a few atrocious things:

1. Brimah catching the ball, or making any shot that is not a dunk with regularity
2. fouling every. single. time. syracuse. drove. to. the. rim.
3. Transition defense in the middle 20 minutes. just staggeringly poor.
4. Anything Rodney Purvis did that was not a setshot 3 pointer between the 33rd and 35th minutes of the game.

I could go on but those were the most terrible things.

Reaction Score
Guards do well under Ollie. Bigs are a completely different story they simply don't develop ... They look good against UNH and Maines but real teams they look vastly inferior to their competition. As upper class men now they simply don't develop under Ollie

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
Watched you guys for the first time this season. Looked more similarly to last season than I anticipated. A lot of really talented guys chucking three pointers. Good luck against Gonzaga tomorrow, that will be a nice contrast of styles.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Someone take a bottle of Evan Williams and smash it over my face.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Terrible job by Ollie. No adjustments defensively, and no ability to get into a rhythm offensively. They didn't solve problems.

I would simply ask - where was the halftime adjustments?

Reaction Score
Thought Miller is supposed to be a stud defender and rebounder. Got completely lit up today by both Lydon and Roberson. And Roberson killed him on the boards. He got lit up by the guy on Maine too in the first game.

Not blaming him for the loss but he hasn't exactly brought the toughness and d so far that we need.

He has been great moving the ball on offense and running the fast break. But we need him in other areas more

Reaction Score
I'm not even sure what the scheme was, like why not set good hard screens on top of the zone to allow some dribble drive? Instead KO demanded them to employ a series of handoffs and aimlessly looking to feed the ball into the middle that was guarded by a bunch of 6'8 dudes. no off ball movement, nothing. There is no excuse not to get open threes off a 2-3 zone , it means we are a horrible passing team. Its what I anticipated; its been know purvis is not a good passer though he showed some fools gold recently, and miller is pretty much a useless faciliater.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Lol this thread attracted the trolls. Well done. Waiting for some of the bigger names to come out

Reaction Score
Terrible job by Ollie. No adjustments defensively, and no ability to get into a rhythm offensively. They didn't solve problems.

I said it all game too. Did we run a single play today?

Our offense is stand still and pass it around the perimeter for 20 seconds and hope someone is open eventually. Same exact crap offense as last year except we have much better players this year.

Awful offense. Awful defense today. Refs did screw us on d with some ridiculous calls. That didn't help.

Reaction Score
Thought Miller is supposed to be a stud defender and rebounder. Got completely lit up today by both Lydon and Roberson. And Roberson killed him on the boards. He got lit up by the guy on Maine too in the first game.

Not blaming him for the loss but he hasn't exactly brought the toughness and d so far that we need.

He has been great moving the ball on offense and running the fast break. But we need him in other areas more
I missed most of the 2nd half of today but yea, I've been very disappointed in Miller's defense. He's been getting lit up by inside/outside PFs, doesn't bode well for his matchup tomorrow with Wiltjer.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
The problems are:
  • Rebounding effectively vs. the zone
  • Attacking lanes vs. the zone and kicking out or dishing to people who have hands
  • Free throws
  • Ball control
All fixable and I expect Ollie to fix them soon. Plus Cuse played out of their minds today.

Reaction Score
Facey is by and far the best big man on this team and its not close. He blocks shots, hits the glass, and can finish in the paint. He might need millers starting stop, and just take brimah out faster for shonn.

Reaction Score
This team sucks big time. WTF give it a break. Give this team time to develop. But I will say Brimah has not improved much other than he can block shots.

Happy Thanksgiving and its onto the Zags !!!!
Gutless, heartless, disgusting. NIT bound for certain!!

Reaction Score
39 free throws Syracuse
21 free throws UConn

The entire 2nd half was a cuse 3 or cuse free throws. Did we have more than one or two rebounds the entire half

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Ollie really needs to go a different direction against the zone. He's really struggled with it over his career as a coach.

We gave up on shooting after we missed a few. Too many open 3s passed up on by Gibbs especially, who is our shooter.

Brimah lost all confidence and Miller/Facey couldn't make a stop in the second half to an unbelievably bad extent.

Just not our game. I think we were clearly much more talented, but Syracuse hit their threes down the stretch and executed much better offensively.

Reaction Score
Was hoping Brimah would take that next step. It's just not there yet

Reaction Score
Ollie really needs to go a different direction against the zone. He's really struggled with it over his career as a coach.

We gave up on shooting after we missed a few. Too many open 3s passed up on by Gibbs especially, who is our shooter.

Brimah lost all confidence and Miller/Facey couldn't make a stop in the second half to an unbelievably bad extent.

Just not our game. I think we were clearly much more talented, but Syracuse hit their threes down the stretch and executed much better offensively.

Nah, our offense was actually OK. we missed a ton of FT, Brimah singlehandedly screwed up like 4-5 layups and Purvis just was terrible on the drive. he had 3-4 EASY layups that he bricked. In other words, we effectively should have scored about 90 points, easy. Offense is fine, even with players playing poorly today.

Its the defense that was beyond crazy. Just constant fouling, lost assignments, etc. The switching was just not working all game long, and yet they stuck with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom