What adjustments could Hurley and the team make to counter what McDermott and Creighton did on Tuesday? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

What adjustments could Hurley and the team make to counter what McDermott and Creighton did on Tuesday?

Reaction Score
and four disciples could have came down from heaven and Creighton would have still beat them.

Reminded me of the New Mexico State game two years ago when you just shook your head at what went in fo

and four disciples could have came down from heaven and Creighton would have still beat them.

Reminded me of the New Mexico State game two years ago when you just shook your head at what went in for the Aggies.
Learned that the Boneyard does not allow the word "Jes*s" as this was my first word in the post above. I am talking about the man upstairs.

What if someday the number one recruit in the country named Jes*s Rodriguez commits to UConn?

Reaction Score
Learned that the Boneyard does not allow the word "Jes*s" as this was my first word in the post above. I am talking about the man upstairs.

What if someday the number one recruit in the country named Jes*s Rodriguez commits to UConn?
Well at least everyone on here would spell his first name correctly. :)

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Then Tom would probably program every mention of Jeebus to "Jeebus Rodriguez" even if you were referring to the other one, much like he did with T.P. = Tyler Phommanchanh.

Having said that, I'm now mildly surprised he hasn't already programmed it to say "Jeebus Shuttleworth"

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score

There was a time when that was a perfectly acceptable single word Reply post, and was regularly used by a noted throat-puncher who might otherwise simply write, "Good grief" in exasperation or dismissive simplicity when something was judged unworthy of a more detailed disapproving response.

temery

What?
Reaction Score

I'm currently fighting with an ad vendor who was suspending ads on pages with the name "Solo Ball." They insist it is a euphemism for prohibited "Adult Sexual Content."

Edit: Jesus Rodriguez. Works.

Worth noting: You can now say WTF. You're welcome.

Last edited:

temery

What?
Reaction Score
There was a time when that was a perfectly acceptable single word Reply post, and was regularly used by a noted throat-puncher who might otherwise simply write, "Good grief" in exasperation or dismissive simplicity when something was judged unworthy of a more detailed disapproving response.

And there were many, many complaints, which creates work for me. I don't like work. I can't fight every front.

Jesus is a noun, not an interjection or adjective.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So what adjustments do you think Hurley and the team can make to counter what McDermott and Creighton did on both ends of the floor to our guys on Tuesday?

I consider myself a hoops junky who has a solid understanding of Xs snd Os, but I'm not sure what adjustments Hurley can make in light of what a team built like Creighton can do when they play their A game, and with the mix of players we have on this year's team.

Of course, somehow getting Clingan to defend well without fouling as much would help, but I'm not sure what more the coaching staff can do to help him at this point. I hope they can. Though hard to prevent bad and/or borderline calls against him.

One thing we do know, when the opposing perimeter players curl around the high screen at the top of the key, they have to do something different than having our bigs hedging on screens, our weak side perimeter defenders leaving the opponents sharpshooters to temporarily cover the exposed bigs dropping back towards the basket until our big re-engages back into the paint. Creighton exploited that most of the night, especially when Clingan was on the bench.

Now there are not a lot of teams that are built and coached like Creighton that can knock down a lot of threes and successfully do rive to the basket the way they do. Creighton won't always shoot it as well from deep as they did, but hope that there is something UConn could have done differently to get more stops.

Now on the other end of the floor, Creighton did a good job of taking away some of our perimeter shooters and defending the back cuts that usually result in some could percentage shots in the paint or drawing fouls. It didn't look like they were running their half court motion as well as they usually do, but much of that might be the result of how Creighton defended it. I'd like to watch part of the game again to watch more closely at what they did.

I wish we had a 5 who could come off the bench and at least defend the paint close to how Clingan does. Johnson seems to have digressed and too often goes too far out with his help D or too aggressive on his hedge where he's either left too much open space behind him or picking up over aggressive fouls. And even with Clingan out on the floor in the second half, Creighton's sharpshooters kept on knocking down some big 3s.

Spencer struggles at times on the defense end since he doesn't have high end quickness and athleticism but it's hard not to keep him out there when he usually does so much on the offensive end. At times Hurley puts Diarra in who defends more aggressively and has been making plays on both ends, though I think he usually comes in for Castle more often than for any other player.

So what adjustments do you think can be made to counter what Creighton did?

I've been a college basketball/UConn fan for a long time, but not too in the know about the Xs and Os. I agree with a lot of posters that note Creighton had a great game plan and played their A game while our Huskies did not. It appeared that our players maintained their composure to make a comeback despite Creighton players' lights-out shooting for most of the game. While a big part of that is home court advantage, I offer some casual observations.

Most of our players did not have best games. That's to be expected. Alex and Cam were not getting open looks. Stephon Castle had a pause in his ascension; his toughness and defensive stopper abilities were not as evident. As many noted, when Donovan went out, the offense digressed to missed shots and only Tristen was carrying the team. While generally being a very steady shooter, scorer and leader, it seems to me that Cam Spencer is one or our defensive X factors. I love the grit, toughness and leadership he regularly brings. He usually always brings great defensive hands play and heads-up play to disrupt the other team and intercept passes, but sometimes (Seton Hall and Creighton), he has appeared slow-footed on defense which was exploited by opponents. When Cam appeared to be covering him, the smaller Creighton guard Steven Ashworth went off and that reset the tone for the game; early on, he was allowed to be too open to shoot. During one moment when Cam was covering Trey Alexander, Alexander appeared to recognize the opportunity and immediately took and hit a three. That had me wondering if it was part of Creighton's game plan to have their players look to shoot when Cam was covering them. Maybe Cam can focus on minimizing the spacing when covering shooters like Ashworth who are not driving threats. And maybe Cam should not be assigned to cover faster players like Trey Alexander. It's evident our coaching staff has been doing a phenomenally great job over the last year, but maybe (?) our defensive schemes could be slightly tweaked to better minimize some players' defensive weaknesses while continuing to take advantage of their much more extensive playing strengths.

Reaction Score
I'm currently fighting with an ad vendor who was suspending ads on pages with the name "Solo Ball." They insist it is a euphemism for prohibited "Adult Sexual Content."

Edit: Jesus Rodriguez. Works.

Worth noting: You can now say WTF. You're welcome.
We could auto correct his name to “The Senhor”….

Reaction Score
Be prepared and willing to make some easy mid range 2s coming off the curls to make them adjust. Consider playing drop coverage with Samson versus better passing teams that make us scramble on D. Isolate their short PG (Ashworth) on D in the mid range/post when possible.

Reaction Score
From Jake to Emeka to Hasheem to Amidah to DC, our best defensive teams have been built on funneling an opposing player to the middle where a big body is waiting for you. When that presence is gone we struggle (unfortunately Samson can’t fill that role). As has been mentioned, when DC goes out we may need to shift to better on-ball defenders for a stretch.

Reaction Score
It’s just 2 games the Huskies weren’t on their games as a whole. We can’t over analyze this game or the Hall game because teams are all different. Here’s the reality, you can never believe that Ashworth and Miller are significantly better defenders than say Mitchell and Jones from Marquette can you? As a matter of fact Mitchell is a very good defender and the Huskies did what they wanted all game. I won’t get into the obvious hugging and mugging we saw but our whole team didn’t play well Tuesday which is a rarity. If Donovan stays out of foul trouble and the refs don’t let Dixon mug him all game they have no answers. DC is the key.

Big game today, dare I say “must”?

VA Blue Dog

VA Blue Dog
Reaction Score
Hard to defend when a team is that hot. Aside from Kalkbrenner (0 for 1), Ashworth was their worst 3 point shooter, 38 %. The other four went 67%. Keep changing the zone and don't be afraid of time outs especially in the first half. Call two in a row if you have to. If you can't shift and are late on the screens and the hedges, keep changing your zones 1-2-2, 3-2, 2-2-1. Try some half court presses to slow them down. That worked when we were down by 23 in the 2nd half. Mix it up. Key thing is to stop the momentum and the teams confidence.

Reaction Score
How about not having to play a hot Creighton team 3 days after a really big and emotional win. And not playing in front of a super rowdy crowd of 18,000. Or how about not playing a team that makes 6 threes in a row and shoots 50% on threes for the game. Or not have 2 bogus fouls called on our most important player in the first 5 minutes. Or not playing our best game while the 15th ranked team could not have played better. Come on people, you are overreacting just a little don’t you think?

Reaction Score
I don’t think this would change the outcome of the last game but Clingan staying on the floor is key, and the other thing that might help is to not double down as much as we did. Give up the shots in the paint, but that places pressure on DC Not to foul. Creighton could not miss, but many shots were wide open. they kicked out a z z, next.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
After getting drubbed by St John's on Sunday, I'm going to suggest the only thing we need to change is the venue. Looks like they're not nearly as good at MSG. Affectionately known as Storrs South

Reaction Score
One of UConn/ Creighton came back to earth while the other did what they needed to do. Only adjustment needed is play them away from their place!

Reaction Score
It looked to me like Creighton did to UConn what Kansas did but to greater effect. They extended the D on Spencer and Karaban and basically faceguarded them. All while sagging off Castle (he was out for Kansas though so Hass) and extending on Newton and making them try to beat you. Push Kalk back in the middle to play zone D, get Clingan in foul trouble, and shoot over 50% from 3 on volume shooting and you’ve got a blowout.

Kansas wasn’t able to execute this the entire game consistently, so UConn made up some ground in the 2nd half. Creighton had the bodies to do it and executed it the entire game. I’m not sure how you game plan to stop this or if you need to.

Not many teams have the coaching and roster to pull this off, let alone consistently for 40 minutes. I think most coaches know if they shut down two of UConn’s best players, shoot 50% from three and get the starting center in foul trouble they have a good chance to win.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom