What about the 2 for 1? | The Boneyard

What about the 2 for 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
If there was ever a spot for the 2 for 1 it was yesterday's game. UConn has the ball down 1 with 48 or so seconds left. No reason they can't get a good shot off in 12 seconds. That way they are sure to get the ball back, make or miss. But it seems that no one ever tries for the 2 for 1, I don't see why not.

Reaction Score
If there was ever a spot for the 2 for 1 it was yesterday's game. UConn has the ball down 1 with 48 or so seconds left. No reason they can't get a good shot off in 12 seconds. That way they are sure to get the ball back, make or miss. But it seems that no one ever tries for the 2 for 1, I don't see why not.
If they miss and ND goes down and gets a three another shot would not have mattered yes / no?
I was very surprised to hear the play went exactly the way Geno drew it up. I figured pound it inside and get fouled if nothing else. That is usually the home court advantage in close games.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
If they miss and ND goes down and gets a three another shot would not have mattered yes / no?

As opposed to if they miss and they don't have to shoot?

Reaction Score

I like the thought; Not a bad idea.
However,
1. Taking a shot within the first twelve seconds of the shot clock in a tightly contested game with under a minute to play may not be the call unless it is a gimme.
2. Take your time, get a good shot, get the lead, put the pressure on the opponent and trust your defense.
3. My understanding is that UConn practices every possible late game scenario. 2 for 1 does not appear to be in the playbook.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I was really surprised that a play was designed to have a player with a hurt ankle take a long range shot. Stewart was successful in the paint in the second half. And there was no chance of drawing a foul on that shot.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
ETT, I don't think that was the designed outcome of the play. I think the play was designed on the premise that Muffit would never allow KML to be open for a game-winning shot. So she was supposed to be in the corner as a decoy, holding a defender while Kelly drove to the basket from the right side of the lane for a long layup, on which she might have been fouled or on which there might have been a putback if she missed.

The play is similar to the one that ended the famous DePaul game in Maya's freshman year, when Ketia Swanier scored a game-winning layup while Maya, by standing in the right corner, held a defender who might have stopped it.

The unexpected event on Saturday was that KML's defender helped off of her to stop Kelly. Kelly saw it and fed KML who was wide open. The decision by the defender to help off KML was a major mistake that could easily have cost ND the game.

Do you really think that Muffit instructed her team in the huddle, "Let KML take a 3 if you have to; after all, she has a bad ankle"? I don't think that she said that, or that any coach would ever say that when playing UConn in the final seconds. I think Muffit told her players to make anyone other than KML beat them. And the defender did what she did without orders.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score

I agree. I am so surprised how rarely coaches go for this. Obviously, you don't want to rush and mess up the first shot, but there was no indication that they were even trying to set up for an early shot.

Reaction Score
The unexpected event on Saturday was that KML's defender helped off of her to stop Kelly. Kelly saw it and fed KML who was wide open. The decision by the defender to help off KML was a major mistake that could easily have cost ND the game. Agreed

Do you really think that Muffit instructed her team in the huddle, "Let KML take a 3 if you have to; after all, she has a bad ankle"? I don't think that she said that, or that any coach would ever say that when playing UConn in the final seconds. I think Muffit told her players to make anyone other than KML beat them. And the defender did what she did without orders. Help defense is practiced so often that it becomes totally ingrained in a player's mind. Unless told in the huddle, repeatedly, to stay on Mosqueda-Lewis regardless of the circumstance, she is going to respond by practiced instinct. On the other side of the coin, there was much crticism/conjecture about the lack of help Hartley received when Diggins beat her going right. It is hard to say if Notre Dame's movement diverted all eyes or if the UConn defenders were ordered to stay home.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Help defense is practiced so often that it becomes totally ingrained in a player's mind. Unless told in the huddle, repeatedly, to stay on Mosqueda-Lewis regardless of the circumstance, she is going to respond by practiced instinct. On the other side of the coin, there was much crticism/conjecture about the lack of help Hartley received when Diggins beat her going right. It is hard to say if Notre Dame's movement diverted all eyes or if the UConn defenders were ordered to stay home.
Looked like Faris had her back to the play and didn't see Diggins turn the corner. She looked like the only one really available to be the help defense. Just a good play by Diggins. Caught UCONN offguard.

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
Looked like Faris had her back to the play and didn't see Diggins turn the corner. She looked like the only one really available to be the help defense. Just a good play by Diggins. Caught UCONN offguard.
Kelly was definitely faceguarding McBride on that play. Skylar made the right decision. Who knows if Hartley asked for help or what would have happened if someone had helped her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom