What about Polley? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What about Polley?

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Yeah, 7 rebounds is "showing signs of" improvement. What would you call it? Can't you see he upside?

Hurley can.

Hurley is still counting on Polley playing a big role in the program. He hopes Polley will be ready for next season’s season opener.

“I think the light switch is starting to come on for him,” Hurley said” He gets a chance now to address the biggest issue he has in his career, which is building up his upper body strength over the course of eight to nine months while he recovers from an injury.

“Obviously, he’s going to be returning to the team as a key part right as we’re going into a very exciting season.”
He was actually a better, more consistent rebounder in the beginning of the season. He had 8 total rebounds in the three games leading up to his 11 rebound game. He has eclipsed 7 rebounds in a game ONCE in his career. I would call that a flash in the pan. He is not a good rebounder by any means for his frame, and he is not good defensively either.

When Hurley means he'll have a big role that means he will come off the bench and make shots. He is what he is. Do not make him more than he is.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
If Martin is eligible, I agree. I am somewhat concerned about Josh accepting a greatly reduced role. But we will see how it goes.
top of the league in o boards per game (#3), 14th in boards per, 9th in blocked shots per, all with not a lot of minutes due to fouls. 81 starts so far in his career here. 'greatly reduced role?' try again. josh could not care less about your concerns. actually, other than coach, he doesn't have to care about anyone's concerns. he doesn't have to. he's very big. very big.

Reaction Score
top of the league in o boards per game (#3), 14th in boards per, 9th in blocked shots per, all with not a lot of minutes due to fouls. 81 starts so far in his career here. 'greatly reduced role?' try again. josh could not care less about your concerns. actually, other than coach, he doesn't have to care about anyone's concerns. he doesn't have to. he's very big. very big.
I think he's going to get his minutes, as I've said in other threads I have no idea where they're coming from after trying to come up with depth charts. But Hurley's concerns are what should worry him, he's not a great fit for the system and Hurley hasn't exactly hidden that fact

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
I think he's going to get his minutes, as I've said in other threads I have no idea where they're coming from after trying to come up with depth charts. But Hurley's concerns are what should worry him, he's not a great fit for the system and Hurley hasn't exactly hidden that fact
I follow the talk. and there is that pesky reality where the squad went from 10-9, to 19-12, including 5 in a row at the end, with a lineup not including polley, akok, and a diminished al. im pretty sure coaches like winning. will his feet speed up? I don't know, but I do know a lot about watching your body change completely in a nanosecond, and then trying to figure out what to do with it. imma big fan of josh, now and for the future. both ours, and his. I also think the closer he gets to the cash part of his future, the more focused he will become.

Reaction Score
I follow the talk. and there is that pesky reality where the squad went from 10-9, to 19-12, including 5 in a row at the end, with a lineup not including polley, akok, and a diminished al. im pretty sure coaches like winning. will his feet speed up? I don't know, but I do know a lot about watching your body change completely in a nanosecond, and then trying to figure out what to do with it. imma big fan of josh, now and for the future. both ours, and his. I also think the closer he gets to the cash part of his future, the more focused he will become.
That's all well and good, but what you leave out in your post is that 10-9 to 19-12 stretch also coincides with when outside of the first 5 minutes Whaley was taking Carlton's minutes

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
That's all well and good, but what you leave out in your post is that 10-9 to 19-12 stretch also coincides with when outside of the first 5 minutes Whaley was taking Carlton's minutes
we shall see in the fullness of time. josh starts on day one.

Reaction Score
He was actually a better, more consistent rebounder in the beginning of the season. He had 8 total rebounds in the three games leading up to his 11 rebound game. He has eclipsed 7 rebounds in a game ONCE in his career. I would call that a flash in the pan. He is not a good rebounder by any means for his frame, and he is not good defensively either.

When Hurley means he'll have a big role that means he will come off the bench and make shots. He is what he is. Do not make him more than he is.
Nothing personal, you cannot read Hurley's mind (or anyones mind). I take what Hurley said at face value. The lights are coming on for Polley. He is improving.

Reaction Score
Well see what josh brings this year - I’m not too confident , but hope he improves and I’m rooting for him. Also , that 5 game run at the end of the season was 90% due to CV, bouk and whalley.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Well see what josh brings this year - I’m not too confident , but hope he improves and I’m rooting for him. Also , that 5 game run at the end of the season was 90% due to CV, bouk and whalley.
both whalley, and especially aac player of the year (in my mind) cv spent plenty of time subject to the infamous boneyard dis machine. downright criminal were some of the many, many extended harshes put on cv over the recent past, up to around January, and notwithstanding his superior career statistical record to that point. then, it stopped. it was so bad at times, I half expected to look in the dictionary for 'cv' and find the phrase 'hot garbage' next to it. so, there's that. and, im not a big fan of the mentality that every single recruit coming here is therefore all-nba. Jalen Adams had to spend years here getting regularly eviscerated, and now, he sits on the edge of the big show. a very difficult achievement, indeed.

Reaction Score
I think a lot of people are only remembering Polley's defense from his freshman year. The second half of his sophomore year and some of early on last year, he was a pretty good on ball defender. I remember Hurley giving him praise at the end of his sophomore year and often said he had the toughest defensive assignment and came through.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Nothing personal, you cannot read Hurley's mind (or anyones mind). I take what Hurley said at face value. The lights are coming on for Polley. He is improving.
Polley needs service to be effective. Something he didn't get from AG and CV. Once the ball stopping stopped last year, Polley was hurt. I'm looking forward to seeing him a ball-moving offense.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom