What about Polley? | The Boneyard

What about Polley?

Reaction Score
I've just seen a lot of people excited and proposing what the starting 5 is going to look like and who will be first off the bench.

I know coming of an ACL injury is a big question mark, but if the shooting touch is there, he could be huge even if he is a step behind for a while. Imagine Bouk and Jackson out there with him and Cole/Gaffney penetrating. It will be hard for teams to collapse and if the big leaves their man, it leaves the rim open for Whaley and Sanogo. And hopefully, the lateral speed somewhere in the season. Don't forget, Polley has turned into one pretty good on the ball defender.

Reaction Score
I've just seen a lot of people excited and proposing what the starting 5 is going to look like and who will be first off the bench.

I know coming of an ACL injury is a big question mark, but if the shooting touch is there, he could be huge even if he is a step behind for a while. Imagine Bouk and Jackson out there with him and Cole/Gaffney penetrating. It will be hard for teams to collapse and if the big leaves their man, it leaves the rim open for Whaley and Sanogo. And hopefully, the lateral speed somewhere in the season. Don't forget, Polley has turned into one pretty good on the ball defender.
If Tyler Phommachanh could model his offensive game a little bit more like Rip/Ray..Move without the ball..Get to his spots..Read the defense..Take what its giving you.. He could be huge.. Our PGs will find him..Got to get his "wheels" in shape first..

Reaction Score
Cole, Bouk, Polley, Jackson & Whaley would be a real fun 5 to watch on the court together. Three playmakers in Cole, Bouk & Jackson while Polley spots up around the perimeter. Whaley to cash in on second chance points, something he has a real knack for.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
When a program is trying to compete at an elite (Final Four aspirations) level, every single piece matters. Polley, regardless of how many minutes he gets next year will be important. We need him to play average D and shoot the 3 at a 40%+ clip. Anything more will be a bonus, but to compete at an elite level we need his shooting.

Reaction Score

It’s hard to say with him, but hopefully he bounces back well from the injury. Youth should help him and he wasn’t a super explosive guy to begin with, so he won’t have to rely on that to be effective. But we’ve seen with ACLs, it can often take guys well over a year to fully recover so we’ll see. Really pulling for the kid tho, he deserves a healthy season with this team.

Having guys like Bouk, Gaffney, Cole, and Jackson should definitely help with the spacing and help him get better looks. There’s big role for him to play if he’s healthy, those hot streaks he had early in the season were massive momentum swings. When this team can get out and run and set him up for transition 3s, they’ll be tough to stop. He has a chance to be even more efficient than he was last season with this team, people forget he had the highest offensive rating on the team when he went down.

Reaction Score
I find speculating about how much and how Polley would be used next year so impossible as to not be worthwhile for three reasons.

1. How close is he to the player that got hurt last January? We know there is some chance he won't be 100% physically ready to go by the start of practice, and it's even more likely that he might not be 100% mentally ready to do so by that time. If he starts slowly, will it even be possible to break into a key role later on?

2. Is he a 3 or a 4? After playing the 4 two years ago, he became exclusively a 3 this year. But with Akok (in my view) not playing next year, and Jackson, Bouk at times and maybe Martin as 3s, we may need him back at the 4. Does that make him more or less useful? Can we overcome his lack of rebounding as a 4, and is he as good a defender as a 4 as he became as a 3.

3. Are we a better team with him or without him? Last year, we became better after he was gone. I am not putting that on him -- we remade the entire team around Vital during the year and became better -- but there is no question that he was one dimensional on offense and we became a much, much better offensive team when we played four quicker players around the perimeter instead of two quick players and Polley as a spot up shooter. So even if he's perfectly healthy and we find him a position, does the team play better with him in than with him out.

This is all before I even raise the questions about whether we just have a lot of players who might be better than him at this point.

Long winded way of saying we have way too much depth and way too many questions to be totally confident about anyone's role in the team at the moment other than the role of one James Bouknight.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I expect him to get a chance to start at the beginning of the season. Hurley was raving about his improved defense recently, and his value on offense is apparent.

But it's his spot to lose. He's going to have to approach every game like he did the Tulane game - the shooting isn't enough, at his height you have to be an animal on the boards too. If he doesn't take that next step then I could definitely see his spot taken by Sanogo or Akok when he comes back by Big East play.

Reaction Score
Amp up the defensive pressure, don't worry about fouls. The lineup is deep. It can absorb players in foul trouble, with Bouknight really being the only exception.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I generally agree with @businesslawyer that there are too many open questions. But we are just speculating. So some thoughts.
  • Is Martin eligible or sitting? If Martin is eligible, I don't see how he doesn't start. That likely pushes Polley to the bench for sure.
  • Can Polley come back all the way? Can he be the dynamic player he was for exactly one game before his injury? We need a 3 and D guy. We don't need to start a 3 and D guy.
  • 3 vs 4. I don't see Polley at the 4 now that we have Springs and Sanogo available. We need to consider whether Josh becomes a bench guy. Does Sanogo earn the starting 5 spot? I think Whaley is the starting 4, with Springs the backup. Even without Akok, I see minimal time at the 4. At the 3, with no Martin, Polley could start over Jackson initially, but would probably lose that job eventually. I don't see Adams starting and he's the other 3.
He's a valuable depth piece with experience. A great team needs players like that. Hurley will find a way to use him.

Reaction Score
I generally agree with @businesslawyer that there are too many open questions. But we are just speculating. So some thoughts.
  • Is Martin eligible or sitting? If Martin is eligible, I don't see how he doesn't start. That likely pushes Polley to the bench for sure.
  • Can Polley come back all the way? Can he be the dynamic player he was for exactly one game before his injury? We need a 3 and D guy. We don't need to start a 3 and D guy.
  • 3 vs 4. I don't see Polley at the 4 now that we have Springs and Sanogo available. We need to consider whether Josh becomes a bench guy. Does Sanogo earn the starting 5 spot? I think Whaley is the starting 4, with Springs the backup. Even without Akok, I see minimal time at the 4. At the 3, with no Martin, Polley could start over Jackson initially, but would probably lose that job eventually. I don't see Adams starting and he's the other 3.
He's a valuable depth piece with experience. A great team needs players like that. Hurley will find a way to use him.

Here's the thing about Whalley at the 4 -- we were not a good team last year playing two bigs, even with the 4s in Akok and Sid both being able to step outside occasionally and hit jumpers. And I have no idea if either Springs or Sanogo can shoot outside of Whalley's range. We could not score until we opened up the middle and kept all but one outside. We can't do that with Springs and/or Sanogo at the 4. So are our bigs talented enough that we want to risk destroying the offense we became with the middle more open? We'll see, but frankly I tend to doubt it.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Here's the thing about Whalley at the 4 -- we were not a good team last year playing two bigs, even with the 4s in Akok and Sid both being able to step outside occasionally and hit jumpers. And I have no idea if either Springs or Sanogo can shoot outside of Whalley's range. We could not score until we opened up the middle and kept all but one outside. We can't do that with Springs and/or Sanogo at the 4. So are our bigs talented enough that we want to risk destroying the offense we became with the middle more open? We'll see, but frankly I tend to doubt it.

I think that was in part because our bigs couldn't be effective scoring around the basket. We weren't at all effective playing Polley at the 4 either. He couldn't score inside or rebound as needed. Ultimately, I think this team is loaded with offensive firepower and Hurley will want to maximize our defense and rebounding.

That said, he has so many pieces he can field whatever lineup works best for any given opponent or situation. So we will probably see a little bit of everything.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I find speculating about how much and how Polley would be used next year so impossible as to not be worthwhile for three reasons.

1. How close is he to the player that got hurt last January? We know there is some chance he won't be 100% physically ready to go by the start of practice, and it's even more likely that he might not be 100% mentally ready to do so by that time. If he starts slowly, will it even be possible to break into a key role later on?

2. Is he a 3 or a 4? After playing the 4 two years ago, he became exclusively a 3 this year. But with Akok (in my view) not playing next year, and Jackson, Bouk at times and maybe Martin as 3s, we may need him back at the 4. Does that make him more or less useful? Can we overcome his lack of rebounding as a 4, and is he as good a defender as a 4 as he became as a 3.

3. Are we a better team with him or without him? Last year, we became better after he was gone. I am not putting that on him -- we remade the entire team around Vital during the year and became better -- but there is no question that he was one dimensional on offense and we became a much, much better offensive team when we played four quicker players around the perimeter instead of two quick players and Polley as a spot up shooter. So even if he's perfectly healthy and we find him a position, does the team play better with him in than with him out.

This is all before I even raise the questions about whether we just have a lot of players who might be better than him at this point.

Long winded way of saying we have way too much depth and way too many questions to be totally confident about anyone's role in the team at the moment other than the role of one James Bouknight.

Agree.

If he plays like he did the game before he was injured, he's 25 mpg. Bank on it. He's a 40% 3 point shooter and with his size can get his shot off against defenders closing in on him.

But, if he gets 2-3 rebounds over 20 minutes and the offense stagnates because he is floating on the perimeter, I think he quickly goes to the bench as the designated marksman off the bench.

If rest of team besides Polley and Akok are healthy, I think they can bring Polley along slowly until he is fully healed and conditioned.

Reaction Score
Polley’s game is a liability outside of his jump shot, so he needs to be utilized off the bench in spurts. If we have him playing starters minutes we have problems.

This is what I've been saying, but lots of people seem convinced that he will start and play major minutes. I don't see how that is. He's a one dimensional player and will get minutes for his shooting, but not more than 10-15 I don't think. Jackson will blow him out of the water talent wise, and once Akok returns I think him and Whaley take up all the time at the 4.

Reaction Score
Polley’s game is a liability outside of his jump shot, so he needs to be utilized off the bench in spurts. If we have him playing starters minutes we have problems.
Bingo. His outside shooting was too sporadic and the highs weren't nearly high enough to makeup for his weaknesses elsewhere.

Reaction Score
Bingo. His outside shooting was too sporadic and the highs weren't nearly high enough to makeup for his weaknesses elsewhere.
There’s a role for him on this team. I know he didn’t finish the season but his stats were pretty good for the games he played.

Highest offensive rating on the team, second highest OBPM, third highest BPM, and 4th highest PER.

I get there are some weaknesses to his game, but he’s the best shooter on the team and he was an efficient player last season based on the advanced stats offensively. Not saying he needs 30 min a game, but I gotta think he’ll find his way into the rotations if he continues to shoot over 40% from 3.

Reaction Score

Polley was showing signs of improving his all around game at the time he got hurt. And he is definitely a plus defensive player. Once again, an assessment based on the theory that no player can improve over the course of his career.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
I have no idea why Polley is felt here to be a poor defender. He's shown himself to be a very good defender except against beefy 4's (like Cook from Iowa). He hustles and has relatively quick feet for 6'8, has an eye for the passing lane, makes the right rotations at the right times, and bothers shots with his length and timing. He's a much better defender than most of us give him credit for. Whaley was said last summer by many to be a bad defender, and not only was he good, he was our best defender once he got court time.

That said, he'll have to show the same after the ACL as before, and that's not a given. The shooting will be there. Whether the rest of the game is will be anyone's guess.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
In 2020 some people still don't see the value in a 40% 3pt shooter, which is crazy on it's own. Then you consider he's a plus perimeter defender, and the impact his spacing provides the slashers of the team. Our guys who excel around the rim will appreciate one help defender being glued to the perimeter, they need spacing to thrive.

Oh and he was the most efficient offensive player on the team last year, averaging close to 10ppg as "just a 3pt shooter," on lower volume than he should've had. Get Polley more shots.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Polley was showing signs of improving his all around game at the time he got hurt. And he is definitely a plus defensive player. Once again, an assessment based on the theory that no player can improve over the course of his career.
You call one game where he has over 7 rebounds an improvement? Have you seen how many times he was beat baseline because he’s a slow, flat-footed defender?

He is what he is. A 3-pt shooter.

Reaction Score
I think the starting lineup to start conference play will be:
Martin
Whalley
Sanogo
Bouk
Cole

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I think the starting lineup to start conference play will be:
Martin
Whalley
Sanogo
Bouk
Cole

If Martin is eligible, I agree. I am somewhat concerned about Josh accepting a greatly reduced role. But we will see how it goes.

Reaction Score
You call one game where he has over 7 rebounds an improvement? Have you seen how many times he was beat baseline because he’s a slow, flat-footed defender?

He is what he is. A 3-pt shooter.
Yeah, 7 rebounds is "showing signs of" improvement. What would you call it? Can't you see he upside?

Hurley can.

Hurley is still counting on Polley playing a big role in the program. He hopes Polley will be ready for next season’s season opener.

“I think the light switch is starting to come on for him,” Hurley said” He gets a chance now to address the biggest issue he has in his career, which is building up his upper body strength over the course of eight to nine months while he recovers from an injury.

“Obviously, he’s going to be returning to the team as a key part right as we’re going into a very exciting season.”

Reaction Score
If Martin is eligible, I agree. I am somewhat concerned about Josh accepting a greatly reduced role. But we will see how it goes.
I hope he accepts it because it think he could be a great piece off the bench. A third year guy with starting experience who isnt a total scrub as your back up at the 5? Sign me up.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom