What a home job | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What a home job

Reaction Score
Add in getting squat from Akok and Adams on offense. And then there's...man, I can't even write his name anymore.
Is Carlton lost...how did he become such a zero?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This idea that we lost because of poor FT is so "missing the forest for the trees". What makes you think we go 20-20 and given the blatant bias of the officials we don't lose anyway? This was a miracle it came down to the last seconds. Amazing resilience, poise (yes poise!) and gutty qualities of this team. Proud of this team.

Reaction Score
If AG wasn't 0-5 it would be less of an issue.
Alterique’s mental issue is a separate issue. The ref problem is very very real. Too many people that have influence are excusing it or ignoring it.

Reaction Score
Alterique’s mental issue is a separate issue. The ref problem is very very real. Too many people that have influence are excusing it or ignoring it.
Anyone who excuses officiating and its affect on a game ( in any sport ) has no clue about sport.

Reaction Score
The 'point of emphasis' this year on calling fouls on screens has been taken to a ridiculous level. It's making these games near unwatchable.

Fouls called were 29 to 24 so it wasn't THAT one-sided.

Reaction Score
I’m confounded by how this team cannot close out a game. AG again crumbles at crucial moments and CV’s brain shuts down. The inability to execute and get the ball into the hands of other than a walk-on is insane. Having a walk-on with no minutes on the floor was sheer stupidity. It’s on the players to perform but you got to start wondering what the hell Hurley is doing in-game.

Reaction Score
Hurley had a fine game. The walk-on couldn't be legally subbed out for the last play. He was part of a successful 5 second call, so there's that

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
I normally do not go at the refs. That said, the African-American ref, Jeff something, does not like Danny Hurley. At least it seems that way.

Reaction Score
Yeah I mean when you're the only player on your team who can handle the ball consistently it can take a lot out of you.
Everybody who thinks Gilbert is the reason we're losing needs to think really hard about what our ball handling would look like if he wasn't out there. You all are insane.
This take is such BS. If you lead a group of men into war and kill 100 enemies, but don’t bring your brothers home...you failed. And I don’t need to connect those dots for you...

Reaction Score
Add in getting squat from Akok and Adams on offense. And then there's...man, I can't even write his name anymore.
Who the great Cosh Josh Carlton? I’m with you. To me he may have a fair game now and again. But Whaley swung his meat and showed hunger out there. Give the kid a shot at this point. Josh is so terribly unreliable.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
This take is such BS. If you lead a group of men into war and kill 100 enemies, but don’t bring your brothers home...you failed. And I don’t need to connect those dots for you...
No, I need you to connect those dots. I have no idea what your point is.

Reaction Score
I just can't get over the two technicals, there were a few screens where the Houston players ran into a set brick wall and UConn got called for it, and just the fact that there was a total of 54 fouls called. 4 made field goals combined by both teams after Bouknight got his 5th, that was an absolute joke of a game. How does a team come back down 6 and make only two field goals coming down the stretch?

And while I am frustrated with Gilbert, there is no way the loss is solely on him. I can't believe he did that at the free throw line, and had some costly turnovers, but there is no way every time he tries and splits that he gets cleanly stripped. There are such things as reach ins and kicked balls that never seem to get called. And I like Jalen a lot, but we would've got ran outta the gym if he played more than AG.

Reaction Score
Yeah I mean when you're the only player on your team who can handle the ball consistently it can take a lot out of you.
Everybody who thinks Gilbert is the reason we're losing needs to think really hard about what our ball handling would look like if he wasn't out there. You all are insane.

I don't think anyone is arguing that Alterique isn't the best ball handler on the team. The argument is that he can't be trusted at the end of games to take care of the ball because he makes the same mistakes over and over again. How many times do we need to watch him face-plant trying to split a hedged screen? How about driving into 3 defenders and hoisting a shot up that has zero chance of going in instead of taking a pull-up jumper? What good is he at the end of the game if he can't make a free throw? The hero ball and incompetence needs to end. Learn from your constant mistakes or sit.

I'd rather Gaffney get the opportunity to make these mistakes. Maybe he'll actually learn from them.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
I don't think anyone is arguing that Alterique isn't the best ball handler on the team. The argument is that he can't be trusted at the end of games to take care of the ball because he makes the same mistakes over and over again. How many times do we need to watch him face-plant trying to split a hedged screen? How about driving into 3 defenders and hoisting a shot up that has zero chance of going in instead of taking a pull-up jumper? What good is he at the end of the game if he can't make a free throw? The hero ball and incompetence needs to end. Learn from your constant mistakes or sit.

I'd rather Gaffney get the opportunity to make these mistakes. Maybe he'll actually learn from them.
Hurley was trying to give Gaffney a chance all game. He's just not ready yet to earn those minutes. He dribbled straight out of bounds down the stretch from Houston's ball pressure. I'm with you that developing Gaffney is important for the team's future, and he has serious talent/potential, but if you hand him the keys down the stretch of a game like that it will hurt his confidence and development. Hurley's not an idiot...he does know something about this

Reaction Score
Hurley was trying to give Gaffney a chance all game. He's just not ready yet to earn those minutes. He dribbled straight out of bounds down the stretch from Houston's ball pressure. I'm with you that developing Gaffney is important for the team's future, and he has serious talent/potential, but if you hand him the keys down the stretch of a game like that it will hurt his confidence and development. Hurley's not an idiot...he does know something about this

He also made a contested layup off of a drive to his left and two technical free throws (all of which, I believe, came after the dribble into the corner you referenced). He bounced back from a bad play to come through for the team in a huge spot. I agree that he's not totally ready, but he shows signs of learning and improvement.

IMO, it's easier to justify trying to win with Gaffney than sticking with Gilbert and probably losing.

Reaction Score
Anyone who excuses officiating and its affect on a game ( in any sport ) has no clue about sport.
Did anyone really think that the officials were going to be anything other than what they have been, as we head out the door? Why keep playing the same broken record. Find something else to whine about.

Reaction Score
As obvious as it is the team can't blame the refs or well never improve. Just keep playing hard and the wins will come. MUST win the next 2 home games.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
He also made a contested layup off of a drive to his left and two technical free throws (all of which, I believe, came after the dribble into the corner you referenced). He bounced back from a bad play to come through for the team in a huge spot. I agree that he's not totally ready, but he shows signs of learning and improvement.

IMO, it's easier to justify trying to win with Gaffney than sticking with Gilbert and probably losing.
The probability of us losing was way higher with Gilbert not running the point down the stretch.

The defense on your "contested layup" was not very contested because Houston just didn't want to foul or give up threes up 6 with 10 secs left. Props to Gaff on knocking down those big FTs.

Reaction Score
The probability of us losing was way higher with Gilbert not running the point down the stretch.

How do you know? He's one of the most inefficient players I've ever seen in crunch time, especially over the last few weeks. He doesn't deserve to play in these spots anymore unless he changes his approach.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
How do you know? He's one of the most inefficient players I've ever seen in crunch time, especially over the last few weeks. He doesn't deserve to play in these spots anymore unless he changes his approach.
I know it based on our ball handling issues every time he left the court.

The guy you want to take his minutes dribbled straight out of bounds when he was pressured by the defense and made a layup when the game was over (only to be brought back to life from one of the dumbest technicals of all time).

Again Gaffney can be great but he's no where near ready. Sampson saw that and had Houston blitzing him everytime he was given the ball handling duties.

If you asked Jay Wright and Kelvin Sampson whether or not their jobs would've been much easier without Gilbert playing they would undoubtedly say yes. I get that neither has won a championship in a couple years and you may be a better x and os guy than they are (or Dan Hurley for that matter) , but they still might be onto something.

Reaction Score
Did anyone really think that the officials were going to be anything other than what they have been, as we head out the door? Why keep playing the same broken record.
I don't play "broken" records. I play records that are pristine. And the reason I play them is because I like listening to them. If you don't like this record, listen to something else.
Find something else to whine about.
I just did. I am whining about you. Happy?

Reaction Score
The 'point of emphasis' this year on calling fouls on screens has been taken to a ridiculous level. It's making these games near unwatchable.

Fouls called were 29 to 24 so it wasn't THAT one-sided.
And 2-1 in technicals.

Reaction Score
I have noticed that we run better offense when Gaffney and Al are playing together. But that takes superstar Bouknight out of the lineup. Sorry for the sarcasm but JB has been a big disappointment. That is unless you are relying on one game in Charleston.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom