What a Game Between UConn greats!!! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What a Game Between UConn greats!!!

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Yeah, it was an exciting game. I felt bad for Stewie, who missed the second of her two free throws in the closing second of regulation, which would have given the game to the liberty and then she missed a lay up at the close of overtime that would have tied the game.

Collier definitely played Stewie tough, although I don't think you can say she "shut her down" given that Stewie's line was 18 points 9 rebounds and 3 assists. Instead it would probably be fair to say that Nepheesa played her even with a line of 21 points, 8 points and 2 assists.
I believe that you meant to say 8 rebounds. She was on point in this game and if she continues to play like this the Lynx will capture #5 and hold the record for the most WNBA Championships.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
The Lynx should go after Griner in the off season. She will be a free agent. Griner would make the Lynx very hard to beat.

Lynx are hard to beat as is (up 1-0 in the finals) and Smith is much better fit with her range, passing, hustle and general mobility. Griner is a force but her playing style doesn't suit the Lynx and I don't think she's a championship level center anymore.

Reaction Score
The first game of the W Finals between the Liberty and Lynx was one for the ages!! The Lynx and Pheesa came back from as much as an 18-point deficit to defeat the Liberty and Stewie, 95-93 in OT. As former teammates, it was no doubt weird to be on the opposite teams in a Championship game (notwithstanding the in-season tournament, won by the Lynx over the Liberty). That said, as a long time UConn and Lynx fan, I felt that Pheesa is putting the ghost of MM to rest and claiming a new identity for the Lynx. Former USF PG standout, Williams, is just the energy the Lynx need, and she played a great game. Oddly, I have come to like Kayla McBride as the number 2 scoring option for the Lynx. Who would have thought a UConn fan rooting for an ex Fighting Irish! Well, I think this series will go all 5 games and, if the remaining games are as exciting as game 1, I look forward to watching great basketball, the UConn way!!
Nice assessment of the best pro game--men or women--I've seen in a very long time! Wow--the Lynx have incredible resiliency!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I can remember when Collier was in HS and being recruited. Several people thought she was "too short to play inside and too tall and too slow to play the perimeter.

A reliable source said that Geno thought Phee was the key recruit in her class. I think Coach was right.

Reaction Score
A reliable source said that Geno thought Phee was the key recruit in her class. I think Coach was right.
Not only the best recruit but the best all around player in the 2015 class. She had elite hands, footwork, quickness, anticipation and a non stop motor. All she needed was someone to develop her perimeter shot. Unfortunately that didn't really happen until she met her now husband. But she's a full load now. And my favorite all time UConn player.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I can remember when Collier was in HS and being recruited. Several people thought she was "too short to play inside and too tall and too slow to play the perimeter.
I watched Collier for three years at Incarnate Word Academy after she moved to St. Louis from Jefferson City High. I knew then that with her jumping ability she could play inside, and she was also quick enough to play defense on the perimeter. She constantly played against taller players in the post. Her team played a national schedule including Crystal Dangerfield's team and Sophie Cunningham's team. What I did not know was that she could score from outside like she does now. Never saw her shoot a jumper in high school.

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
Lynx are hard to beat as is (up 1-0 in the finals) and Smith is much better fit with her range, passing, hustle and general mobility. Griner is a force but her playing style doesn't suit the Lynx and I don't think she's a championship level center anymore.
They need a stronger and more rugged rebounder than Smith, someone who can hold her own against the post players who are 6'6" or taller.

Reaction Score
I think we are getting into the same debate with MN as we do with UConn about big sizes since the style is so similar. They need a mobile big, a big who can defend on the perimeter, and who can hit outside shots. There really aren't many of them over about 6' 4" where Smith is. Dolson is really the only other person I'd throw in there and she doesn't run the floor like she used to. Nothing against her. Time is cruel. You could also pay big money and get JJ. IMO, everyone else taller than Smith would force a different style of play.

Smith I think also complements what Phee is doing inside and that is the most important thing. Phee is the star so the pieces have to work around her game. You could put a lumbering big body in there but that would just get in Phee's way. You need someone like Smith who can quickly relocate and open up cutting space for Phee.

I'd like to see Dorka get past her nagging injuries and be able to give more high level minutes at the 5.

I think Smith is doing just fine. They won the first game of the finals against the super team!

Reaction Score
I think we are getting into the same debate with MN as we do with UConn about big sizes since the style is so similar. They need a mobile big, a big who can defend on the perimeter, and who can hit outside shots. There really aren't many of them over about 6' 4"
This is what I was thinking too, and you’ve laid out the tensions in the situation well. The number of superbigs who are not slow-footed is quite small. And I think you’re right to think a slow center would not suit the style of play that has brought MN success so far.

I'd like to see Dorka get past her nagging injuries and be able to give more high level minutes at the 5.
Me, too.

Reaction Score
Yeah, it's funny how a college nemesis can become a fan favorite during their pro career. As for me, being a Conn. Sun fan, I still can't believe that I am rooting for, and actually liking Marina Mabrey. She is totally nuts, but I love it. LOL
Yes, she is a bit whiny, but I’m glad she’s on our side.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
They need a stronger and more rugged rebounder than Smith, someone who can hold her own against the post players who are 6'6" or taller.
Griner is an awful rebounder. Whatever the Lynx sacrifice in Smith's ability to rebound is more than offset with her defense, passing and perimeter shooting. Plus Collier is an animal on the glass and an ideal front court mate for Smith. Lynx need to change nothing considering they're in a good spot to win a title with the roster as is.

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
Griner is an awful rebounder. Whatever the Lynx sacrifice in Smith's ability to rebound is more than offset with her defense, passing and perimeter shooting. Plus Collier is an animal on the glass and an ideal front court mate for Smith. Lynx need to change nothing considering they're in a good spot to win a title with the roster as is.
Not true about them needing to change nothing.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Napheesa was a terrific player at UConn, she is so much better now...I don't know whether it's coaching or her own penchant for self-improvement but she is so much more dangerous on both sides of the ball; right up there in consideration for the best player in the league...and I must admit, I thought she would be good...but this good? no way. And her motor is always humming....

With Bri, I see something else...what I saw in the first game...and occasionally throughout the season is by the numbers effort..focus and concentration just a tince off.
So much talent....when her brain is completely involved.
Reminds me a little bit of her struggles just prior to the NCAA's in her freshman year.

Now mind you...her current level of playing is better than 99% of the league...but its not quite her best.

But on this huge, complicated stage that is sports today...Judge is struggling, Witt was not himself...pressure is immense...stars don't always shine...But it seems different from the past ...when Gill Hodges could't buy a hit in the series for example...
that seemed an exception

Reaction Score
Napheesa was a terrific player at UConn, she is so much better now...I don't know whether it's coaching or her own penchant for self-improvement but she is so much more dangerous on both sides of the ball; right up there in consideration for the best player in the league...and I must admit, I thought she would be good...but this good? no way. And her motor is always humming....

With Bri, I see something else...what I saw in the first game...and occasionally throughout the season is by the numbers effort..focus and concentration just a tince off.
Reminds me a little bit of her struggles just prior to the NCAA's in her freshman year.

Now mind you...her current level of playing is better than 99% of the league...but its not quite her best.

But on this huge, complicated stage that is sports today...Judge is struggling, Witt was not himself...pressure is immense...stars don't always shine...But it seems different from the past ...when Gill Hodges could't buy a hit in the series for example...
that seemed an exception
“With Bri, I see something else...what I saw in the first game...and occasionally throughout the season is by the numbers effort..focus and concentration just a tince off.
Reminds me a little bit of her struggles just prior to the NCAA's in her freshman year.”…..”
Agree, but, when her concentration isn’t a tad off, “Bri” has no match…..the best in the game…she simply has more tools…but, agree that Napheesa’s game has improved greatly through hard work…and she’s a joy to watch, as is Stewie :D

Reaction Score

that seemed an exception

It would be fair to say it's combination of both. Don't think there is an athlete who hasn't excelled without having the internal motivation to do so. Pair that with the right coaching, the sky is the limit. In Napheesa's case, she's got both components in spades and it doesn't hurt her husband is one of the best development coaches in the industry.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom