What a Game Between UConn greats!!! | The Boneyard

What a Game Between UConn greats!!!

Reaction Score
The first game of the W Finals between the Liberty and Lynx was one for the ages!! The Lynx and Pheesa came back from as much as an 18-point deficit to defeat the Liberty and Stewie, 95-93 in OT. As former teammates, it was no doubt weird to be on the opposite teams in a Championship game (notwithstanding the in-season tournament, won by the Lynx over the Liberty). That said, as a long time UConn and Lynx fan, I felt that Pheesa is putting the ghost of MM to rest and claiming a new identity for the Lynx. Former USF PG standout, Williams, is just the energy the Lynx need, and she played a great game. Oddly, I have come to like Kayla McBride as the number 2 scoring option for the Lynx. Who would have thought a UConn fan rooting for an ex Fighting Irish! Well, I think this series will go all 5 games and, if the remaining games are as exciting as game 1, I look forward to watching great basketball, the UConn way!!

PvP

Reaction Score
In the last 5 minutes the Liberty played not to lose while the Lynx played to win.

That being said, Phee completely shut down Stewie the whole game and still Stewie had 2 chances to win the game, at the end of regulation and at the end of overtime and choked both times. I never thought I would ever see that.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Yeah, it's funny how a college nemesis can become a fan favorite during their pro career. As for me, being a Conn. Sun fan, I still can't believe that I am rooting for, and actually liking Marina Mabrey. She is totally nuts, but I love it. LOL

Reaction Score
Watching Collier and Stewart play like that last night made my Husky heart proud. Now Stewart needs to connect on offense and even the score. This is really going to be a fun series. UConn fans win either way.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Is Collier taller than when she was at UConn? She was guarding Stewart and even blocked her shots
Inch for inch, Pheesa is one of the best shot blockers in WBB. From college on into the pros she has a unique shot blocking technique in the post that I marvel at.

Pheesa bodies up the player she’s defending with both hands up in the air. This limits the offensive player’s ability to elevate. Whichever way the offensive player turns to shoot, she can block shots with either hand.

Pheesa has superb timing and she really doesn’t jump all that high. Watching her block the shots of taller players in the paint is a thing of beauty.

Reaction Score
Is Collier taller than when she was at UConn? She was guarding Stewart and even blocked her shots
Phee was like this at Storrs too. She and Gabby held down the front court against taller opponents while 6’3” Katie Lou mainly worked the perimeter practically a shooting guard.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yeah, it was an exciting game. I felt bad for Stewie, who missed the second of her two free throws in the closing second of regulation, which would have given the game to the liberty and then she missed a lay up at the close of overtime that would have tied the game.

Collier definitely played Stewie tough, although I don't think you can say she "shut her down" given that Stewie's line was 18 points 9 rebounds and 3 assists. Instead it would probably be fair to say that Nepheesa played her even with a line of 21 points, 8 points and 2 assists.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Phee has always been so smooth that she sneaks up on you in the box score. Two UConn greats going head to head will make this final fun to watch for sure.

Reaction Score
Yeah, it was an exciting game. I felt bad for Stewie, who missed the second of her two free throws in the closing second of regulation, which would have given the game to the liberty and then she missed a lay up at the clothes of overtime that would have tied the game.

Collier definitely played Stewie tough, although I don't think you can say she "shut her down" given that Stewie's line was 18 points 9 rebounds and 3 assists. Instead it would probably be fair to say that Nepheesa played her even with a line of 21 points, 8 points and 2 assists.
Stewie went 1-8 in the fourth quarter. She was definitely shut down even if she got 20 points.

Reaction Score
Yeah, it was an exciting game. I felt bad for Stewie, who missed the second of her two free throws in the closing second of regulation, which would have given the game to the liberty and then she missed a lay up at the clothes of overtime that would have tied the game.

At one point later in the game the announcers said Stewie was 1 for 9 while Pheesa was guarding her.
Phee also has 3 steals and 6 blocks!

Reaction Score

They talked about her 6'1" height during the game as being the reason she dropped down to #6 in the draft, per Coach Reeves. Pheesa has the combination of hops, timing, anticipation, strength, and wingspan that overcomes a few inches of height advantage. There is a reason that she takes the opening jump ball against the trees, even though she looses most of them. When Smith is out of the game, the tallest player for the Lynx is 6'2" versus the liberty where they have three players over 6'4".

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
The Lynx should go after Griner in the off season. She will be a free agent. Griner would make the Lynx very hard to beat.

Reaction Score
Collier’s defense on Stewie was phenomenal! Liberty were panicked and rushed in OT. There is so much traveling from both teams that is not called!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom