What a difference less than a couple years makes | The Boneyard

What a difference less than a couple years makes

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

Less than 2 years ago after significant JC and fan pressure Warde gave Ollie a 7 month contract while he evaluated and monitored.

Fast forward to now - Ollie agent is clearly in the driver's seat.

While he is negotiating his new contract - what advantage is it for Ollie to take other offers off the table?

Warde is in a tough spot - other than funds from the Big East break-up - The AAC member (UConn) doesn't have significant cash flow from TV and as we know gate sales in major sports have declined in recent years.
Given this situation UConn will have to potentially compete against some deep pockets (Lakers), etc.

Warde needs to move wisely but also quickly.

Reaction Score
Less than 2 years ago after significant JC and fan pressure Warde gave Ollie a 7 month contract while he evaluated and monitored.

Fast forward to now - Ollie agent is clearly in the driver's seat.

While he is negotiating his new contract - what advantage is it for Ollie to take other offers off the table?

Warde is in a tough spot - other than funds from the Big East break-up - The AAC member (UConn) doesn't have significant cash flow from TV and as we know gate sales in major sports have declined in recent years.
Given this situation UConn will have to potentially compete against some deep pockets (Lakers), etc.

Warde needs to move wisely but also quickly.
what are your sources saying?

Reaction Score
Wouldn't his paycheck come from the state though? I don't think Uconn uses funds from their cash flow to pay their coaches. Maybe this is why Malloy won't be giving out checks to everyone in the Fall. He has to use it to pay Ollie ;-)

C

Chief00

Actually only a small part comes from the state - the rest of compensation comes the Foundation. The more foundation has to pay Ollie, the less for other expenses. The bottomline is there is a cash flow problem when you view it wholistically given falling attendance, limited tv contract and donors stretched by basketball complex still not fully paid for. The state's financial forecast using GAAP standards is a total disaster so not much relief there. Rich people leaving state doesn't help either.

So what do we do? Give Ollie a package he deserves. Unlike others I don't believe he will be here forever. If we treat him fairly he will be here for a while though. KO is in the drivers seat and he has leverage he previously did not have.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I don't get why everyone is up chief's for the boat draft ordeal.

It's been publicized that he was going to the draft right up until the last day.

So technically his info was correct.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
What if Chief actually turned out to be Jim Calhoun. That would be the greatest Boneyard twist of all time.

Reaction Score
Basketball is our flagship sport at UConn. If I were Warde Manuel I'd make sure I "publicly" offered KO a new long term deal and make it clear how UConn squeezed every dollar they could for him. If he waits for the Lakers or someone else to throw a truckload of money at Ollie first and we then lose him his head could very well be on the chopping block.

Uconnrick

Twisted, but still lovable.
Reaction Score
Taking into consideration KO's NBA career and the long term lack of security for he and his family, I can't help but think contract longevity will be even a greater factor than the actual annual salary. Given a fair contract with a longer term will, in my opinion, go a long way to secure KO's commitment.
If WM wants to keep the term short, I'd think KO would look much harder at the NBA. I, for one, hope he's here many years. Please , WM, get ot done quick and make sure KO knows he is valued.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom