What’s your favorite thing (most annoying) about attending a basketball game? | The Boneyard

What’s your favorite thing (most annoying) about attending a basketball game?

Reaction Score
#1. The And 1 called by that guy in the stands after almost every play. Lol
Does anyone know that guy?

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
My favorite things are the energy that a live crowd brings, and being able to watch all the things that you don't see on TV.
My most-annoying things are parking, and the immense guy with thighs the size of feral hogs, who sits behind you on the Gampel bench seats, and flanks you, left and right, with his ham hocks (and, I'm not a delicate thing, either).

Reaction Score
My favorites include being a “participating” UConn fan, cheering them on, trying to “will” them to victory, being loud when we should be loud!!
My least favorite, by far, is being near the visiting team’s fan base and hearing an obnoxious rival fan carry-on, block views by standing-up during key parts of the game and generally being someone you wish had not made the trip!!

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
My favorite is watching UCONN play live. My annoying is teenagers behind you consistently talking and not paying attention to the game, this happened at the Reno game. Was ready to turn around and tell them to go out in the concourse and let the adults watch the game.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I was at the UCLA vs Uconn game. They guy seated behind me asked me who was the Uconn head coach. I damn near ask him to leave the arena! That was very annoying!!
Good thing that you could control yourself! I would have asked him if he knew he was at a woman's basketball game? If he had said yes then I would have asked him why?

Reaction Score
Favorite is being there in the crowd and excitement . Also seeing the game from that angle (especially on those few occasions when I am close to the action) and being able to check stats on the board.
Annoying are tall people in front of me (I'm not tall) , big people next to or behind me on the bleachers. Oh, and slow walkers on the way to the parking lot in the cold!

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Favorite thing: getting there really early when the doors open, watching the warmups, and soaking it all in.

Least favorite thing: the guy who sits behind me at the XL Center has this piercing whistle. He whistles as loud as he can into my left ear after each starter is introduced, and at random times after that, often for no apparent reason. It is very annoying, but it is his right as a fan to do so. He seems like a nice guy. Other than the whistle, I mean.

Reaction Score
Notre Dane game I had play by play behind me and every 3 point shot was “good” then clanged till the end , oh she was a ND fan also

Reaction Score
love it all. sure things annoy me, but I'm quite sure I annoy others: when I bellowed "Lou" after she sank a 3 against ND, the woman in front of me turned around and glared at me. OTOH, I inadvertently dropped my peanut shells on her coat, which she probably didn't notice until later. All in day's work.... :)

LasVegasYank

Never pay retail for anything.
Reaction Score
There's nothing that beats watching UConn live vs ND in the National Championship game in Tampa in 2015 sitting behind a couple in front of us with ND T-shirts leave the game with a couple of minutes left more than a tad depressed. :D

Or the Oklahoma fans in San Antonio in 2002 and by the Tennessee fans the game before that. :D

The game in Reno was great but the steps in front were tough on my wife and I who are 73. The kids in the section in front of us spent the game glued to their cell phones. :eek:

Reaction Score
The energy in the crowd at Gampel & the XL Center!
Sitting in the upper sections about 1/2 way up so I & my friends can see the plays developing!
I don't know why anyone would want to sit in the 1st row/courtside seats? The depth perception is 0!
I 2nd the statement above to get there early when doors open and see all the preparation teams make in pregame!
I am constantly amazed with the precision of the way UCONN plays all areas of the game!

Reaction Score
On a side note. My wife got me two UConn Ts for Xmas. I long sleeve and 1 short. Gonna wear them to a local Cali tourney. I wonder how many parents will think I’m a scout. Lol

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Most annoying: having to wear hearing protection. It’s just too damn loud.

Reaction Score
Good thing that you could control yourself! I would have asked him if he knew he was at a woman's basketball game? If he had said yes then I would have asked him why?
I would have told him: Geno does not coach benches--he coaches BB players.

Reaction Score
Most annoying: having to wear hearing protection. It’s just too damn loud.
I love the College atmosphere at a game--no other venue compares to that atmosphere.
My hearing is such that I can't hear YOU. But the din of the noise not associated with the play--gets too over whelming on the brain. So I no longer attend live. The TV announcers of many games are most annoying. I'd listen to Lawson, could I hear, she is brilliant.

Reaction Score
love it all. sure things annoy me, but I'm quite sure I annoy others: when I bellowed "Lou" after she sank a 3 against ND, the woman in front of me turned around and glared at me. OTOH, I inadvertently dropped my peanut shells on her coat, which she probably didn't notice until later. All in day's work.... :)
I agree---when I attended Gampel games or Field house before, I'm a jumping cheering, vocal Uconn fan.\
When I attended.
My favorite game to scream and hoot, because I am a Sooners fan AND a Uconn fan (if Uconn Ark I'd be with them too) At the XL/Civic center about 2002 Uconn played a top OKLA team---I annoyed anyone with in 20 feet---no apologies--I wanted my Team(s) to hear me, and the louzy Refs too.
Peanuts in a coat? Oh BAGS!!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
"inadvertently";)

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The favorite thing - Watching our team win!!
The most annoying - The refereeing.

This week, I've been chauffeuring my youngest granddaughter to a local holiday basketball tournament her high school's JV team is participating in. She's their scorekeeper. They've already won two tournaments this month. They were done with pre-conference play before the Christmas break, but were asked by a tournament official to fill in for a team that dropped out at the last minute. They play for the championship tonight. The two coach's (one is my son) goal for the team is to limit their opponents to 20 points or less. They've been doing a good job so far, as they have yet to lose.

Last night, their opponent scored 18 points. This was by far the best team they've played this season. I thought their starting 5 was as talented as ours, however we held them to 5 points in the 2nd half, and only 1 point in the 4th quarter. Three things led to their opponent's downfall.
1. No bench - Of the 5 players on the bench, only 1 player was used. Fatigue set in quickly in the 2nd half for their starters.
2. Our defense - We contested everything (including drives to the basket), blocked a lot of shots, and crashed the boards hard on BOTH ends.
3. We put on a full court press the entire 2nd half, which produced numerous turnovers most of which resulted in lay-ups for us. In the 2nd half, our coach rotated 5 players in every 3 minutes, keeping fresh bodies on the floor. Each rotation knew they were coming out after 3 minutes no matter what, so they played hard when they were in. There was a drop off (in talent) when the second unit came in, but not much. This tactic worked as planned, limiting their opponent to only 5 points in the 2nd half.

Referees - I've been watching, playing, coaching etc. basketball for a long time. I've seen many games in person. Like all of you, I've witnessed some horrible calls (or non calls) by referees. It's amazing to me how a ref can be 10 feet from a play, but doesn't see it (or call it). We (the fans) are sitting 50-80 feet away on the other side of the court, and we see EVERYTHING!!! :confused::mad: Where do they get these guys?

I also enjoyed interacting with all of the parents before and after the game. Needless to say, we're all BIG fans of this team. As much as I like WCBB, I love to watch high school BB as well. Especially when you get to sit as close to the floor as we were last night, and help the referees call the game. :)

Post script edit.........We won the championship game Friday night. They will enter conference play 12-0.

Last edited by a moderator:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I was at the UCLA vs Uconn game. They guy seated behind me asked me who was the Uconn head coach. I damn near ask him to leave the arena! That was very annoying!!

Yes, I bumped into you after the game. The guy sitting next to me was not that guy. He was there with his daughter's youth basketball team. He knew absolutely nothing about UConn. However he was happy to learn that I was able to answer all of the questions he and his daughter had about the Huskies. :D

Reaction Score
I have only made it to one game...Gampel...vs SMU last year.

Enjoy: the atmosphere! The sights, sounds, energy on the court. Seeing the Team Play right there in front of me. (had great seats...center court about 7 rows up)

Annoying: Sometimes things happen a bit fast and I miss it... I'll be watching the ball or the main action and something happens "out of my field of focus" like someone making a great cut and they catch a zip pass from Danger for the lay up... I might have never seen the cutter or the speed of the pass, until the ball is laid up for 2 points. Watching on TV I might actually get to see that stuff when/if they show the replay...

Others mentioned "parking" as an annoying thing... but it's part of the "experience"...just have to "take it as it comes"... and it's not as bad as going to a NCAAF D1 Football game with 100,000 or so in the stands.

Reaction Score
Yes, I bumped into you after the game. The guy sitting next to me was not that guy. He was there with his daughter's youth basketball team. He knew absolutely nothing about UConn. However he was happy to learn that I was able to answer all of the questions he and his daughter had about the Huskies. :D
Scoop,
Do you think they are now Huskie fans?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom