What’s up with Whaley? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What’s up with Whaley?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Whalley is the least of the problems
He can only be effective offensively if there is one or two outside offensive threats that will open things up for him the way he is being used.
Having no real PG, no real SG and an ineffective Polley hurts him - a lot
The kid is a gamer and gives his all - this team needs a bunch more like him
He is not a superstar but I will share a foxhole with him any day - nobody else on this team can I make that statement

C

Chief00

He can only be effective offensively if there is one or two outside offensive threats that will open things up for him the way he is being used.
He is not a superstar but I will share a foxhole with him any day - nobody else on this team can I make that statement
I get what you are saying but I think Sanogo has much better offensive footwork, moves, hands and shooting touch. He does play hard.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

Not having good guard play is also missing getting him the ball when he is open down low.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
He is definitely less effective lately. Even his defense has declined. He is well equipped to hedge and disrupt on the perimeter, and can block shots by guys his size and smaller. Bigger guys just score over him with ease. He can't defend them at all. That's been true all 4 years. His offense is mostly garbage baskets. When he is playing further out he doesn't get as much, but he's missing what chances he gets in recent games. He seems most effective at the foul line, feeding Sanogo or taking that foul line jumper, which he hits pretty well. As Hurley already mentioned, he is really an energy guy, he needs the crowd and a high energy game. The whole team has been listless and he reflects that.

Reaction Score
Honestly if teams are going to sit off Whaley that much, he absolutely has to shoot it.

Yup. If other teams are going to give him that much room, Whaley's willingness to take that shot is the key to any chance at effective offense.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
He seems to play much better when he and Sanogo aren't on the floor together

Reaction Score
Go back to Whaley's sophomore year and he was on the bench all year, never complained, got some burn at the end of the year and played well. Isiah makes plays in the game and rarely celebrates, just moves on to the next play and does his job. He is up to 40 blocks on the year. Most of them are on the player he is guarding. Avoiding foul trouble is one reason he gives up a score now and then. As for moving screen fouls they are like holding in the NFL. If refs want to be s they can call it on every play. It is a very subjective call. Whaley needs to make more of his short shots but he is a real asset to our team.

Reaction Score
Whaley was impressive as hell today man. I think it’s clear as day that he has came a long way ESPECIALLY as an offensive player.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom