What’s the long term plan for Amari? | The Boneyard

What’s the long term plan for Amari?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Someone please shed some light on this situation. She is a Junior. Does not get any minutes and when she does, it’s at the end of the game for 45 seconds with Ines. She dealt with some injuries appropriately last season which is understandable, but this season she is healthy 6’6” sitting on the bench on a team that lacks rebounding and size. I understand Geno and the UConn program in regards to needing to have his trust and confidence to perform In the game, but at this point I it’s just a disservice to both her and the program for her to just be a body for practice. I hope she can turn it around or the coaching staff chooses to give her a shot soon. Again, these are my personal feelings but would like to hear what you all think.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Someone please shed some light on this situation. She is a Junior. Does not get any minutes and when she does, it’s at the end of the game for 45 seconds with Ines. She dealt with some injuries appropriately last season which is understandable, but this season she is healthy 6’6” sitting on the bench on a team that lacks rebounding and size. I understand Geno and the UConn program in regards to needing to have his trust and confidence to perform In the game, but at this point I it’s just a disservice to both her and the program for her to just be a body for practice. If she can’t turn it around or the coaching staff chooses to give her a shot soon, I personally feel she should transfer next year to a program that will give her an opportunity, especially if she has any aspirations to play after college. Again, these are my personal feelings but would like to hear what you all think.
You answered your own question. If she proves to be ready, she will play! If not……

Reaction Score
I think we would all be guessing at this point. My guess is eventually they will have to play her against bigger teams. My bigger concern is what potential center recruits see or imagine. What's the issue with UCONN and the center position? For several years it's been this brass ring, but no one seems anxious to grab it. Lately, UCONN has had to settle for a 4 being converted to a 5 with inconsistent results and of course, the growing pain that comes with learning a new position. Even Jana is not a natural 5. Dolson was the last effective 5 at UCONN. The 5 at UCONN doesn't need to be a 5 star. Good fundamentals and a space eater would go a long way.

Reaction Score
Someone please shed some light on this situation. She is a Junior. Does not get any minutes and when she does, it’s at the end of the game for 45 seconds with Ines. She dealt with some injuries appropriately last season which is understandable, but this season she is healthy 6’6” sitting on the bench on a team that lacks rebounding and size. I understand Geno and the UConn program in regards to needing to have his trust and confidence to perform In the game, but at this point I it’s just a disservice to both her and the program for her to just be a body for practice. I hope she can turn it around or the coaching staff chooses to give her a shot soon. Again, these are my personal feelings but would like to hear what you all think.
Why would it be a disservice to anyone? UConn,like all teams, has had bench players who don’t play much forever. And their height is immaterial. This is no different.

Reaction Score
Why would it be a disservice to anyone? UConn,like all teams, has had bench players who don’t play much forever. And their height is immaterial. This is no different.
A disservice in the sense that I’m sure the intention when recruiting her wasn’t to be a bench player and would assume she had other aspirations as well. If she and the team are happy with the role she plays for the team the that’s great! I see glimpses of good basketball when she does get some time, just wish I could see more.

Reaction Score
A disservice in the sense that I’m sure the intention when recruiting her wasn’t to be a bench player and would assume she had other aspirations as well. If she and the team are happy with the role she plays for the team the that’s great! I see glimpses of good basketball when she does get some time, just wish I could see more.
The intention when recruiting her was to give her an opportunity to compete for PT just like all the other kids. And she accepted that opportunity, she just hasn’t been able to take advantage of it.

Reaction Score
graduation

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
She seems to be a great person with a sparkling personality, but "glimpses of good basketball?" You and I must be watching different games. Every time she has come in, I rooted for her to contribute. Unfortunately, her performance hurts UConn's chances almost every time. I believe every UConn fan wishes that was not the case. But it is.

Reaction Score
Geno plays those who practice hard. Poor practices simply mean more minutes on the bench.

Reaction Score
I think we would all be guessing at this point. My guess is eventually they will have to play her against bigger teams. My bigger concern is what potential center recruits see or imagine. What's the issue with UCONN and the center position? For several years it's been this brass ring, but no one seems anxious to grab it. Lately, UCONN has had to settle for a 4 being converted to a 5 with inconsistent results and of course, the growing pain that comes with learning a new position. Even Jana is not a natural 5. Dolson was the last effective 5 at UCONN. The 5 at UCONN doesn't need to be a 5 star. Good fundamentals and a space eater would go a long way.
You don’t think Dorka was an effective five?!

Reaction Score
I don't agree with the tone of any of this.

What was Liv if not a 5? What was Dorka, if not a 5? And why would UCONN want a "space-eater" when they recrrtuited at the top of the list elite guards and wings designed to run? UCONN is not looking for a space-eater. They want athletes that will play fastbreak hoop. The big center for rebounding of course but not some random space eater. When UCONN gets number 1 recrutis and player's like Ducharme - they aren't looking to "match up to the other teams.." They are trying to force the other teams to match up to them. And injuires have thwarted this.

What's killed UCONN the past several years been injuries and in 2 random years two stars (Stevens and Walker) left early. . Not height. Not size. ANd the injuires are continuing. Getting a player just so UCONN can get mauled in the paint by a quality team and playing a style they don't want to play is not a way UCONN should go.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think at this point it is clear that Amari is really here on an academic scholarship with a side of supportive teammate. Yes, it’s disappointing that she has not , and likely will not, ever make a meaningful playing contribution but I am at least comforted by the fact that she is apparently extremely smart, a good and supportive teammate, a high character individual, and is well liked by her teammates. Somehow, that makes the disappointment over her playing contribution, a lot more tolerable.

Reaction Score
Amari seems very happy... and her teammates seem to like her. Yes, we all wish she had a fire inside her and could contribute, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen. So let's be happy for her, she'll get her degree and will have established lasting friendships... the disappointment of the Boneyard is probably not on her radar. Postscript: I hope I'm wrong and she will help us win an NC!

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Amari seems very happy... and her teammates seem to like her. Yes, we all wish she had a fire inside her and could contribute, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen. So let's be happy for her, she'll get her degree and will have established lasting friendships... the disappointment of the Boneyard is probably not on her radar. Postscript: I hope I'm wrong and she will help us win an NC!
She might be happy, her teammates might be happy, but I for one am not. This is ridiculous that we are height starved and have a real rebounding problem, yet we have a 6"5" girl sitting on the bench like an ornament. I acknowledge that she probably doesn't perform well in practice, but she is tall, and if she can just clog the paint so the opposition will stay away, then we need her to be in there. She has been here for 3 years, so although she may not be a good practice player, she has paid her dues by staying here and not complaining. Geno has to loosen up his practice requirements and forget his ego and put her in if we get into foul or defensive trouble. Every time she comes in she hangs around the foul or the 3 point line. How about putting her under the hoop, maybe be in position for rebounds. I don't understand how she can be that bad in practice that he won't use her. Until Yanna gets back, we don't have the third Big to put in, and I think one of our problems is Ice and Aaliyah should be on the floor at the same time, just like Dorka was with Aaliyah. If it still doesn't work, fine, but give it a chance. She's not a freshman, give her a chance, give us a chance to compete on the boards. Just my opinion.

Reaction Score
I don't agree with the tone of any of this.

What was Liv if not a 5? What was Dorka, if not a 5? And why would UCONN want a "space-eater" when they recrrtuited at the top of the list elite guards and wings designed to run? UCONN is not looking for a space-eater. They want athletes that will play fastbreak hoop. The big center for rebounding of course but not some random space eater. When UCONN gets number 1 recrutis and player's like Ducharme - they aren't looking to "match up to the other teams.." They are trying to force the other teams to match up to them. And injuires have thwarted this.

What's killed UCONN the past several years been injuries and in 2 random years two stars (Stevens and Walker) left early. . Not height. Not size. ANd the injuires are continuing. Getting a player just so UCONN can get mauled in the paint by a quality team and playing a style they don't want to play is not a way UCONN should go.
Liv's natural position when she was recruited wasn't a 5. She played the 5 out of necessity. I didn't use the term "random". You did. Basketball is a game of matchups. Sometimes you need a big body. They don't need to be uber athletic to be effective in the right condition against the right team. Czinano wasn't athletic, but effective. Big T wasn't uber athletic. Ayoko Lee isn't athletic. What they have in common is rebounding. They present second chance opportunities. They block shots at the rim. Yes. UCONN has had injuries, but guards aren't the issue these past few years. Rebounding is the problem. You can have all the athletic guards in the world, but if you can't get clean rebounds you will be playing a lot more in the half court against set defenses.

Reaction Score
I don't think it is that complicated. As a #15 recruit I'm sure Geno fully expected her to be a good contributing part of the rotation. She has disappointed to a major degree. She is on the roster, but apparently not in the plans, not just now but for next year as well. It didn't work out, life goes on.

As others have said she seems to be happy enough and gets along with her teammates, so the long term plan appears to be for her to be a third string, emergency injury use only in contested games, end of the bench player for mop up minutes in blowouts. In that role she might be relatively good.

Reaction Score
Let's see if she gets any PT against UCLA & Kansas which are played 2 days in a row.
She can block shots.
Each team has a superbig & she can try to help slow them down.
NOW is the time to contribute!! Will Geno play her?? I'm guessing " YES".

Reaction Score
You don’t think Dorka was an effective five?!
I think she was naturally a stretch 4. By natural I mean..is the players first instinct to post and play with their back to the basket. You can post a 4, but their instinct is more likely to dribble and drive or face up and shoot a jumper. Natural 5s are not trying to dribble if they don't have to. By effective I mean is the player staying on balance against contact or falling on the ground?

Reaction Score
I like Deberry. I'm not here to guess what is going on beyond what I see on the court. She's tall. We could use rebounds. In some of the less competitive games she could eat some of Edward's minutes and give her a breather. Kiah Stokes hung around on the bench, but eventually became a solid and reliable player. I'm hoping for the best with Deberry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom