What’s going on at Oregon? | The Boneyard

What’s going on at Oregon?

Reaction Score
For the second year in a row, there has been an exodus of players from the team. Last year, Taylor Mikesell transferred to Ohio St and fared extremely well. Jaz Shelley had a wonderful season at Nebrask, Taylor Chavez went to Arizona and Angela Dugalic to UCLA.

This season, 3 of their Fab Five recruits are leaving after their sophomore season. Either they were overrated, or the players ahead of them were much better. Regardless, you don’t see this type of exodus occur often, the exception being the debacle at Syracuse.

Every highly recruited player wants playing time. Stanford has a packed roster, but players seldom transfer out. Graves is an outspoken coach and hasn’t lacked for drama this year: the brouhaha with Aida Barnes at Arizona & calling out his players as feeling “entitled.” A proven leader doesn’t criticize in public.

Graves may be a great recruiter, but with the exception of his during the pandemic year, has under achieved on the court.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
For the second year in a row, there has been an exodus of players from the team. Last year, Taylor Mikesell transferred to Ohio St and fared extremely well. Jaz Shelley had a wonderful season at Nebrask, Taylor Chavez went to Arizona and Angela Dugalic to UCLA.

This season, 3 of their Fab Five recruits are leaving after their sophomore season. Either they were overrated, or the players ahead of them were much better. Regardless, you don’t see this type of exodus occur often, the exception being the debacle at Syracuse.

Every highly recruited player wants playing time. Stanford has a packed roster, but players seldom transfer out. Graves is an outspoken coach and hasn’t lacked for drama this year: the brouhaha with Aida Barnes at Arizona & calling out his players as feeling “entitled.” A proven leader doesn’t criticize in public.

Graves may be a great recruiter, but with the exception of his during the pandemic year, has under achieved on the court.
I'm not sure how to parse your final sentence, but he did coach an Oregon program that had likely never even made the sweet 16 (I'd have to check on this) to (consecutively) two Elite Eights, a Final 4, a realistic chance to win a national title in the year Covid deep-sixed the tournament, and a spot in the Sweet Sixteen the year after. This year? Underachieved, no doubt imo. Transfers? A lot, although the 3 this year arrived as a sort of package and are exiting as such. And Stanford is hardly an appropriate comparison in this regard given the strength of a Stanford degree. However, I do wish that Shelley and Dugalic were still in Eugene, and I'd say the same about Chavez, except that she had important family reasons for returning to Arizona.

Reaction Score
However, I do wish that Shelley and Dugalic were still in Eugene
I agree with this wholeheartedly. Ironically it is my (speculative) belief that the three leaving now had a LOT to do with Angela not feeling “part of the group”. But who knows?
Jaz Shelley did not want to be relegated to the role of limited minutes, spot up 3 point shooter. Felt she had a more complete game to add. This year that role was filled by fellow Aussie Ahlise Hurst. Glad Jaz found a program that utilized her full skill set.

Reaction Score
Message to OP: the Oregon situation has been thoroughly discussed in the Transfer Portal thread if you want to check many, many opinions about it.

Reaction Score
I don't know details, but he lost two assistant coaches after the 2020-21 season, which likely explained some of fall off this year.

The transfer portal as is also makes it easier to transfer if a player isn't happy. It also makes it easier to build a roster.

Graves coached at Gonzaga for 14 years. Made the tournament 7 times, with 2 sweet 16s and 1 elite 8.

Oregon had never made it to the sweet 16 before Graves. In 8 season Graves they have made 1 final four, 2 sweet 16s, and 1 elite 8. In 2020 he highly likely would of made the championship game and I think they would of beat South Carolina.

Reaction Score
The title of this post should be what is going on in general to be more inclusive. What is going on with Arizona, Washington for that matter? Colorado at 5????

Pac-12 count in portal is likely to grow, Here is a count:

OR 3
ASU 3
AZ 4
Cal 1
OSU 1
CO 5
USC 4
Utah 3 updated per info below
UW 6
WSU 1

So it is not just an Oregon thing. I expect UCLA to join the list with one or two.

Did you also know 12 of the 24 WBB players selected for the 2020 McDonald's All American game have already changed colleges or are currently in the transfer portal? 50%!

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Debunked the statement in bold in my post above

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Utah 2
Should be 3--Maxwell, Gylten and Martin.

And yep, almost everybody in the Pac 12 is seeing significant movement of players, as is happening across the country.

Reaction Score

And yep, almost everybody in the Pac 12 is seeing significant movement of players, as is happening across the count

And yep, almost everybody in the Pac 12 is seeing significant movement of players, as is happening across the country.
And the two that have shown no movement yet are still in the tournament and WNIT so I would expect that. PAC as a whole is doing the portal shuffle. Not much difference than any other conference

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
And the two that have shown no movement yet are still in the tournament and WNIT so I would expect that. PAC as a whole is doing the portal shuffle. Not much difference than any other conference
Exactly. 3 of Arizona's 4 were clearly seeing that they would have a better chance of more playing time and better opportunities to showcase themselves elsewhere. 2 were not going to get significant playing time and doubtful for the 3rd, at least for another season. Only Love's entering the portal was a surprise to me. The same thing has occurred other years, Adia is not shy about bringing in the players she thinks give her the best opportunity to win. Some would say she recruits over players and I wouldn't argue, although, I don't quite attached the stigma that some do.

Reaction Score
A head coach that can't accept responsibility. for his bad coaching so he instead blames it on the players. Again, super happy for Maddy because I know she missed her bf who transferred also from Oregon to Florida State.

Reaction Score
Debunked the statement in bold in my post above
Forget the PAC-12, look at Raoul's list on the WBB Blog site. The count of schools with multiple transfers has been a thing for several years. This trend didn't start recently. Maybe it feels new to some.

Reaction Score
Nothing is going at Oregon that is not happening with other programs across the country. Players are leaving because of a host of reasons. Here in Minnesota, six or seven players have left the University of Minnesota WBB program. As for Coach Graves "underachieving". Coach has been to seven out of eight post season tournaments in eight years at Oregon. 2 Elite 8s, 1 Sweet Sixteen, 1 FF, and 1 First Round Exit. Throw in that WNIT Semifinals run. If that is "underachieving". I want to be an underachieving coach as well. I think he had a winning percentage at Oregon of something like 191-73/ .723 While at Gonzaga, dude was at .700 winning percentage. That is impressive.

Reaction Score
Um...I'm pretty sure Geno has criticized in public multiple times throughout his coaching tenure, for example.
If Graves had won eleven championships, he could do whatever he wants and most players would accept it.

Jon Scheyer will either treat players differently than Mike K, or he will see a high turnover as long as he’s there.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Nothing is going at Oregon that is not happening with other programs across the country. Players are leaving because of a host of reasons. Here in Minnesota, six or seven players have left the University of Minnesota WBB program. As for Coach Graves "underachieving". Coach has been to seven out of eight post season tournaments in eight years at Oregon. 2 Elite 8s, 1 Sweet Sixteen, 1 FF, and 1 First Round Exit. Throw in that WNIT Semifinals run. If that is "underachieving". I want to be an underachieving coach as well. I think he had a winning percentage at Oregon of something like 191-73/ .723 While at Gonzaga, dude was at .700 winning percentage. That is impressive.

R.a856188dc30c417d64274abd5a9691bf

Reaction Score
Does Jan play for Mike "hot head" White at Texass, (yeah the truth is out). All the Princesses are about gone. Was he worth every penney, LOL!

1649041730078.png

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bballbeast

Top Bottom