Whaley's Last 6 | The Boneyard

Whaley's Last 6

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Friendly reminder that Isaiah Whaley got his first start on February 20th on the road at temple. Here are his stats over those last 6 games of the season in which he started:

33 MPG
13.8 PPG on 59% shooting, 79% FT
8.7 RPG
2.5 BPG

T- 44 Days

Reaction Score
Similar to Anthony Davis in 2011-12.

32 mins, 14.2 points, 10.4 rebounds, 4.7 blocks

If Whaley is putting up AD numbers we are going to be Champs and it's not going to be close.

Reaction Score
Thanks, but I don't need any reminders of how awesome it was to see this young man's game blossom before our eyes when he was finally given a decent chance (yes, because of injuries... but of course, that is how it happens sometimes, right? Just ask Lou Gehrig).

And as much as I have grown to really like all of the guys on this year's team, there is no one... NO ONE... I have rooted for more than Isaiah Whaley.

He is such a high character young man. Stayed with it when he was stuck at the end of the bench, and didn't even let it affect him when a couple of people (one in particular who I went after) was attacking him on Twitter, trying to push him to transfer.

If he has continued to improve upon his mid-range jumper that we saw glimpses of last year... he could really have a special, special senior year. I wish for nothing less for Isaiah, as he has earned and deserves every good thing that happens for him this year, and for the rest of his life.

Have an awesome year Isaiah!... we are all rooting for you and got your back!

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Friendly reminder that Isaiah Whaley got his first start on February 20th on the road at temple. Here are his stats over those last 6 games of the season in which he started:

33 MPG
8.7 RPG
2.5 BPG

T- 44 Days

Low-key, that 79% FT% is very nice. Bigs that can hit free throws can stay on the court during late game situations. But we know his defensive versatility is what makes him special.

Reaction Score
Thanks, but I don't need any reminders of how awesome it was to see this young man's game blossom before our eyes when he was finally given a decent chance (yes, because of injuries... but of course, that is how it happens sometimes, right? Just ask Lou Gehrig).

And as much as I have grown to really like all of the guys on this year's team, there is no one... NO ONE... I have rooted for more than Isaiah Whaley.

He is such a high character young man. Stayed with it when he was stuck at the end of the bench, and didn't even let it affect him when a couple of people (one in particular who I went after) was attacking him on Twitter, trying to push him to transfer.

If he has continued to improve upon his mid-range jumper that we saw glimpses of last year... he could really have a special, special senior year. I wish for nothing less for Isaiah, as he has earned and deserves every good thing that happens for him this year, and for the rest of his life.

Agree with your commentary.. Another underappreciated part of his game/talents is that he actually has really good hands.. Helps on rebounds/loose balls/catching passes/throwing outlets/,etc.. It was refreshing to see our guards pass the ball to him in different situations..Catch it in traffic..And complete the play or get fouled and make the FT.. Basic ball skills our Bigs have been lacking for awhile.. Made the 5 position an asset instead of a liability..esp.on offense..Was good to see.. Hope he crushes it this year..

Reaction Score
Agree with your commentary.. Another underappreciated part of his game/talents is that he actually has really good hands.. Helps on rebounds/loose balls/catching passes/throwing outlets/,etc.. It was refreshing to see our guards pass the ball to him in different situations..Catch it in traffic..And complete the play or get fouled and make the FT.. Basic ball skills our Bigs have been lacking for awhile.. Made the 5 position an asset instead of a liability..esp.on offense..Was good to see.. Hope he crushes it this year..
He could also give a clinic on how to hedge out and recover properly (maybe Josh could watch and learn). He'll be critical to this team's success and anyone who thinks he won't be starting has failed to see his development.

Reaction Score
Whaley's last 12- are impressive too. As soon as he got enough playing time he played really well. Even if he can replicate these stats, we'll be doing alright at the 5 for the first time in a while

Whaley:
10.3 PPG
7.9 RPG
0.8 APG

1.4 TO
0.8 STL
2.5 BLK

53%FG (6.4 attempts)
78% FT (3.3 attempts)

27.5 Minutes per contest

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Whaley's last 12- are impressive too. As soon as he got enough playing time he played really well. Even if he can replicate these stats, we'll be doing alright at the 5 for the first time in a while

Whaley:
10.3 PPG
7.9 RPG
0.8 APG

1.4 TO
0.8 STL
2.5 BLK

53%FG (6.4 attempts)
78% FT (3.3 attempts)

27.5 Minutes per contest
UConn was 9-3 over that stretch.

Reaction Score
UConn was 9-3 over that stretch.
We should not have lost to temple.

Also to add, we shouldn’t have any problems with the front court, we have depth, we can dominate the boards, there’s offensive skills there, Carlton improved his passing.
However, the backcourt will need to check a lot of boxes this upcoming season. My main concern is defense, AG and CV led a pesky and scrappy defensive back court which made it incredibly hard for other teams to score, causing a lot of shot clock violations, turnovers, errant shots, and mistakes. Our backcourt this year is extremely more talented at the offensive end, but can they defend. We’re going to need to see these guards defend well if we want success. You can rely on defense each game and if our only guard who can defend is Badams and maybe Gaff, that could be a nightmare. We want to run away down the stretch with most of these games and we can only do that by locking down they’re PTPer, which more often or not is a guard. We won games from Vitals defense and FTs. Vital locked up Cumberland in the win over Cinci at Gample, Vital locked down Grimes on the win at senior night. I’m worried that we don’t have anyone who can do that.

Reaction Score
He could also give a clinic on how to hedge out and recover properly (maybe Josh could watch and learn). He'll be critical to this team's success and anyone who thinks he won't be starting has failed to see his development.
To elaborate on your point, you could see Whaley realize that his hedges not only stop the advance of the opposing player, but he can turn them over. He got better and better at it and it was a differentiating skill.

Reaction Score
For some reason, this made me think about the fact that Whaley will not be getting the real senior night experience with the fans giving him a standing ovation. This guy really deserves it
And that really is a shame for Whaley as well as Carlton, and Polley. The Houston game from last season was one of the best moments of the last couple years since the Seniors, especially Vital, finally had a chance to see the appreciation from the fans on Senior night. Who knows how things will look come March? I hope the athletic/marketing department can come up with something so that Senior night is a special night, especially if fans are unable to attend.

Reaction Score

Reaction Score
Since we were discussing whether or not Isaiah will start this year here and in a couple of other threads, I believe Coach Hurley has settled the argument for us... and may I say that I agree 100% with his decision on both counts! (both Isaiah and obviously Bouk)

From David Borges' article on CTInsider.com. Dan Hurley talking about each of this year's players yesterday:

ISAIAH WHALEY, senior forward
“When I get asked by a fan, ‘Who you think is gonna start?’ Two people come to mind, and everything else is a little bit up in the air: Bouknight and Whaley. Isaiah really established himself the last third of the season as a key piece, whether that’s playing big at the four, or a lot of his better minutes were when we played smaller and he played at the five. He’s as good a ball-screen defender as you’ll see on the college level, great on both backboards, tremendous defensive instincts as a shot-blocker, and an underrated passer/ballhandler ... He looks really good, he had a great off-season, so big year for Isaiah to kind of ride that momentum of last year.”

Hell ya man. No one has earned a starting position more than Isaiah. And is anyone surprised to hear that he had another "great off-season" of hard work and improvement? Not me, and I am sure not most of you. He is one of the reasons I believe that we are underrated going into this year... and the Sweet 16 and maybe beyond could well be within reach. Go get 'em Isaiah!

P.S. (not trying to step on the mods' toes here by posting this direct quote... I believe this cut and paste is less than the 10% threshold for using a quote directly word for word out of a published article. And I also made sure to cite the article directly. If I am wrong, please let me know. Thanks)

Reaction Score
Hard work and self-belief have served IW well.. His teammates/coaches appreciate him on and off the court. .He deserves to have an awesome senior year.. Will be an excellent mentor to the young BIgs on the roster.. Give him a lot of credit for not bailing on the team(transferring) when DH became HC..

Reaction Score

33 MPG
8.7 RPG
2.5 BPG

T- 44 Days

He was ballin!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
He is in for a Hilton-like senior year.

Maybe.

I'll go with somewhere around these numbers.

27 mpg
11 points
8 boards
1 assist
1 steal
2.5 blocks
55% FG
81% FT

As others have mentioned it wasn't just his offense, he is very good on hedging on high ball screens, recovers back to the paint very well and has active hands in passing lanes.

Reaction Score
This season Whaley will be adding confidence to his game. That intangible will be his biggest weapon. He and Bouk will be the most confident players on the team. Last time I've seen that type of 'bad ass' combo was Okafor and Gordon.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom