Whaley | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Whaley

Reaction Score
Careful. I was denounced once for suggesting that.

The way he snatches the ball is reminiscent. And his height is similar.

It's a bit terrifying because he often contests a shot and then is out of position for the rebound. But quite frequently he either snatches it or gets a hand on it, which is enough for the ball to deflect and the team to rebound it (usually there's 3-4 good guys around it on defensive rebounds and maybe only 1 or 2 opponents, so changing the direction is very beneficial).

Obviously he's not as athletic or strong as Rodman. But he's been quite good for a while now in a bunch of different ways.

Reaction Score
Whaley only person who consistently played good basketball tonight. I thought it was impressive how well he still played with 4 fouls for so long. Carlton getting two fouls early was a blessing
Carlton had his way with them during the 14 minutes he was in... only missed 1 bunny. At least one of the fouls was just a no call.

Reaction Score
Do I see most improved player in the league?

He has been tremendous particularly in conference play, but even without knowing who's up against for the award I'd think it would be unlikely just because of how many games he saw very few minutes.

Currently averaging 6.4 points, 6.2 rebounds, and 1.7 blocks per game in conference, but those stats do a disservice to how good he has been. With 30 min a game he's probably a 9 point, 8 rebound, 2.5 block guy on average which is great! In conference play he's been averaging 21 minutes per game and that's including today going to 2OT.

Mike Honcho

HU5KIES!
Reaction Score
The way he snatches the ball is reminiscent. And his height is similar.

It's a bit terrifying because he often contests a shot and then is out of position for the rebound. But quite frequently he either snatches it or gets a hand on it, which is enough for the ball to deflect and the team to rebound it (usually there's 3-4 good guys around it on defensive rebounds and maybe only 1 or 2 opponents, so changing the direction is very beneficial).

Obviously he's not as athletic or strong as Rodman. But he's been quite good for a while now in a bunch of different ways.

Also with how he tips the ball in the air to keep it alive. He's been very effective volley-balling the rock if he's not able to snatch it.

Reaction Score
Might be of the best breakthrough seasons that I can remember. This is a guy who many thought would transfer after hardly playing last year and now here we are. He’s our best big and there’s excitement for what he can bring as a senior. Great kid who works his butt of in the classroom and on the court.

Reaction Score
Might be of the best breakthrough seasons that I can remember. This is a guy who many thought would transfer after hardly playing last year and now here we are. He’s our best big and there’s excitement for what he can bring as a senior. Great kid who works his butt of in the classroom and on the court.

Isaiah has become my favorite Husky. Could not be prouder of this young man. He really does embody everything that we believe is the best of UConn basketball. An underdog no-name who through hard work, perserverance and a positive mental attitude has blossomed into our best front court player right before our eyes.

Yes, this year has been painful with all of the close loses - but for anyone not paying attention, you can see how this year's pain foretells of the coming renaissance. The pieces are coming together. Get us one more decent or better big for next year (yes, a consistent outside shooter would help, as well), and we will be an NCAA tournament team.

Hey, even Jeff Jacobs is noticing:

Reaction Score
Maybe have some intellectual humility next time you spend an off-season bitching about why our coach won't force a player to transfer. This is not pointed at anyone in particular. More like half the board in general. I think theQ or whatever was the only poster optimistic about Whaley. And me of course.

Reaction Score
Absolutely. It’s wild how much things can change in a season, I have a lot of confidence in him moving forward. His offensive rebounding and shot blocking has been impressive, he’s a guy whose so easy to root for. UConn’s gonna need a leap like that from an unexpected player into next season if they want to compete with the rest of the league. Still think this team is at least another player or two away from being legit, it’s such a huge blow to lose Akok. Two more guys who are ready to step in and play winning basketball. And hopefully Springs is ready, because if one of the new players ain’t a center, we’ll be seeing some of him there.

Reaction Score
Absolutely. It’s wild how much things can change in a season, I have a lot of confidence in him moving forward. His offensive rebounding and shot blocking has been impressive, he’s a guy whose so easy to root for. UConn’s gonna need a leap like that from an unexpected player into next season if they want to compete with the rest of the league. Still think this team is at least another player or two away from being legit, it’s such a huge blow to lose Akok. Two more guys who are ready to step in and play winning basketball. And hopefully Springs is ready, because if one of the new players ain’t a center, we’ll be seeing some of him there.

I’m not sure, I think Cole-Bouk-Jackson-Whaley-Carlton will do some damage. That team 1-4 is rock solid and let’s just hope Carlton as a senior will be halfway serviceable. Then off the bench Gaffney-Adams-Wilson-Springs-Ferguson. Something tells me Springs will surprise us. If we somehow land Sanogo we’re top 20 easily.

Reaction Score
I’m not sure, I think Cole-Bouk-Jackson-Whaley-Carlton will do some damage. That team 1-4 is rock solid and let’s just hope Carlton as a senior will be halfway serviceable. Then off the bench Gaffney-Adams-Wilson-Springs-Ferguson. Something tells me Springs will surprise us. If we somehow land Sanogo we’re top 20 easily.
I wanna believe, I really do. My fear is more about the step up in competition. I know UConn’s played tough this season against everyone, but there’s no cupcakes. They won’t have a stretch in conference play like they will these next 4 games. If Carlton is starting at the 5, I’m concerned. SW is such a wild card, never know what to expect there. Ferguson, if they can get anything out of him, that’s huge. He’s so young and raw, feel like it’s unfair to expect too much from him so early on. Springs seems to be the key here, if he can just play solid defense, finish around the rim, and rebound, while also giving minutes at the 5 that’d be huge. Still think adding an experienced guy who has some positional flexibility at the 3-5 is key, gotta try to replace some of what Akok brought.

Reaction Score
Love eating crow on this one. He was an absolute beast tonight. 18/14/3, played 20 minutes or so with 4 fouls, showed great hands in the lane and great touch/finishing. He has made major contributions in all these games with the increased workload.

I will join you in pulling feathers out of my mouth. Never did I ever think I would see Pork Chop play a game like that. Good for him and I'm thrilled to have been wrong..

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
I will eat crow too. I never saw this coming. Props to IW. Congrats and keep up the good work.

Reaction Score
gotta try to replace some of what Akok brought
whaley's 18-14-2 proved he could do that and then some. not saying he's more skilled than akok, and who knows how good akok would have been next year, but this was the most dominant game we've gotten out of a big man all season. i'd be even more optimistic if i knew he could do it playing alongside another traditional big like springs, brown, or sonogo/grad transfer.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In the past years he never was given significant PT. I would say that he's set up for a great season next year but didn't I say that about Carlton last year?

Reaction Score
whaley's 18-14-2 proved he could do that and then some. i'd be even more optimistic if i knew he could do it playing alongside another traditional big like springs, brown, or sonogo/grad transfer.
He was a beast last night, I’m optimistic with what he brings night in night out. They did have him playing a lot of 5 last night and he has been predominantly that minus Memphis game and some this game. I like his flexibility and his improvement has been huge for the team. Guess I’m more worried about who plays next to him, whether that means they play him big minutes at the 5 or slide him over with a “traditional big.” Can springs provide some good minutes there is the question. Or do they target a grad transfer. Lots of questions, but Whaley has proven himself to be an impact player.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I doubt anyone can say they saw this coming. He seemed lost offensively last year. I did see the block shots coming as they were evident in his small minutes, but can't say I saw the rest of his defense and the overall package. Amazing transformation.

Reaction Score
Guess I’m more worried about who plays next to him, whether that means they play him big minutes at the 5 or slide him over with a “traditional big.” Can springs provide some good minutes there is the question. Or do they target a grad transfer. Lots of questions
yeah the bottom line is we need more help down low. until Hurley fills the last scholly (or 2) this summer, it's impossible to comprehend all the potential permutations and combinations.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom