Whaley

Reaction Score
Interesting

Attachments

• IMG_1643.PNG
    IMG_1643.PNG
    143 KB · Views: 1,169
Reaction Score
Whaley seemed really dedicated to changing his body, which is aleays a good sign.

This would be a pleasant surprise--i plugged him in as 11-13th man on the team, maybe even a redshirt candidate. If he can provide solid back up minutes to mamadou and the bigs, we could be in a good place.

That being said, I still wouldnt get my hopes up. He's athletic and has performed against solid hs teams (like PSA), but d1 defense is another beast.

JCSuperstar

Garbage Time All Star
Reaction Score
With a title like that, and a thumbnail on the first post, I puckered up in anticipation of Twitter/IG nonsense.

Pleasantly surprised!

C

Chief00

Whaley seemed really dedicated to changing his body, which is aleays a good sign.

This would be a pleasant surprise--i plugged him in as 11-13th man on the team, maybe even a redshirt candidate. If he can provide solid back up minutes to mamadou and the bigs, we could be in a good place.

That being said, I still wouldnt get my hopes up. He's athletic and has performed against solid hs teams (like PSA), but d1 defense is another beast.

I tend to agree. He has talent - the question is will his body stand up to getting banged around by stronger dudes.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Whaley was guarding Larrier in those Corey Porter scrimmage videos posted awhile back. Maybe he's the second string SF right now?

Reaction Score

Need his length and athleticism up front... If he can give us Hilton Armstrong like play it's all good with me...

Reaction Score
Whaley is the one who has been labeled "a 6'10" ball handler" right? I know in the early talks someone was described like that. If he can really handle the ball, maybe they do run him at the 3. Since our overall team height is pretty short in the frontcourt, it might be really helpful on D to have a big long man guarding the 3 as long as he can stay with his man on D

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Whaley could be our best preseason player since Ajou Deng.

I have a healthy skepticism about preseason praise but it is good to hear. Like a lot of the board I didn't anticipate Whaley to be much more that practice player this year. It would be very good to be wrong about that.

Reaction Score
We have zero returning minutes coming from anyone bigger than a 3 who could give you minutes as a stretch 4. I take all of these "reports" with a shaker of salt, but I can be hopeful.

Reaction Score
Honestly never would have guessed that someone would mention Whaley in this capacity however when the courant did those meet the newcomers profiles a couple weeks back I was impressed with how well spoken and composed he was compared to the other players who mumbled and seemed a bit overwhelmed by the media. Good for him - He is ready to step up to both the academic and athletic rigors of high level D1.

Reaction Score
Honestly never would have guessed that someone would mention Whaley in this capacity however when the courant did those meet the newcomers profiles a couple weeks back I was impressed with how well spoken and composed he was compared to the other players who mumbled and seemed a bit overwhelmed by the media. Good for him - He is ready to step up to both the academic and athletic rigors of high level D1.
And if he's not, we'll make sure we have the appropriate fake classes for he AND the entire student body to partake in.

Reaction Score
Need his length and athleticism up front... If he can give us Hilton Armstrong like play it's all good with me...

If you mean frosh-junior Hilton, then I'd sign up for that. If you mean senior Hilton, then wow, you are either horrifically underrated Hilton's senior year or absurdly overrating Whaley.

Reaction Score

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
That will be a wonderful surprise if it is true. I have good vibes for the tenacity of this year's team if nothing else. Aggressive and unselfish play with waves of depth coming at the opponents. That kind of style of play is exciting and fun to watch.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
When asked about the eight newcomers on the Huskies, Larrier said freshman forward Isaiah Whaley has stood out the most. "He's been really, really active on the boards and running the floor. He dunks everything. I think he's going to be a huge key for us."

http://www.theday.com/uconn-sports/20171016/uconn-mens-expectations-higher-than-aac-preseason-pick

He played at DeMatha right? That's a legendary pipeline school. So I always had some hope for him. There is a good chance a couple of these guys break out. Who will it be? No idea. I don't see much to make me think one is clearly more likely than another. It will be mostly mental adjustment to the college game.

Reaction Score
He played at DeMatha right? That's a legendary pipeline school. So I always had some hope for him. There is a good chance a couple of these guys break out. Who will it be? No idea. I don't see much to make me think one is clearly more likely than another. It will be mostly mental adjustment to the college game.

Carlton was the Dematha boy. Whaley didn't leave public school until his junior year, I think. Wanted to stay with his friends.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Carlton was the Dematha boy. Whaley didn't leave public school until his junior year, I think. Wanted to stay with his friends.

Ok. That explains why I expected Carlton to be the surprise contributor then.

Reaction Score
Forgotten husky no more. I'm with Hawk, who will step up among the new guys.

Reaction Score
When's the last time we had someone who dunked everything around the basket? Adrien? Been a long time...

Reaction Score
We have zero returning minutes coming from anyone bigger than a 3 who could give you minutes as a stretch 4. I take all of these "reports" with a shaker of salt, but I can be hopeful.

I feel better about a report like that when it comes from a player.
Not so much when it comes from a coach.

Reaction Score
When's the last time we had someone who dunked everything around the basket? Adrien? Been a long time...

Literally all Brimah could do was dunk. (Excepting against St. Joe's)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom