Whaley status? | The Boneyard

Whaley status?

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
I'm concerned about the lingering nature of his ankle injury. At first it was stated that he'd only miss that one game and then be fine afterward. During the last game, it was mentioned that his injury was reaggrivated (I think) during practice. In my opinion, he's one of the most underrated guys on the team. He's an exceptional rebounder and shot blocker who brings a ton of energy to the court at all times. The mid-range jumper that rattled in and out against UMass-Lowell displayed a much better form as compared to the ugly shots he heaved last season.

I really hope that he's on the mend and will be back to 100% soon. I've complained a little bit excessively about Yakwe, but he's shown a few flashes of skill and toughness along the way. Still, I think Whaley is the better option and I hope to see him get more court time as the season goes on.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
I'm concerned about the lingering nature of his ankle injury. At first it was stated that he'd only miss that one game and then be fine afterward. During the last game, it was mentioned that his injury was reaggrivated (I think) during practice. In my opinion, he's one of the most underrated guys on the team. He's an exceptional rebounder and shot blocker who brings a ton of energy to the court at all times. The mid-range jumper that rattled in and out against UMass-Lowell displayed a much better form as compared to the ugly shots he heaved last season.

I really hope that he's on the mend and will be back to 100% soon. I've complained a little bit excessively about Yakwe, but he's shown a few flashes of skill and toughness along the way. Still, I think Whaley is the better option and I hope to see him get more court time as the season goes on.
Agree. Unfortunately, the staff hasn't asked me to examine his ankle ;), so I can't give you a reason why it's taking a bit longer than expected for his explosiveness to come back. But the fact that he's tried to play on it actually bodes well, provided he can avoid reinjury.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Did he get in at all vs Zona? I wonder if that’s a result of the ankle or his size being a concern vs Jeter and Luther

Reaction Score
Did he get in at all vs Zona? I wonder if that’s a result of the ankle or his size being a concern vs Jeter and Luther

he was limping pretty bad walking back to the tunnel at half-time. i'm guessing the injury is still lingering a little.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I’m sure that the ankle doesn’t help, but he’s been lost in space when he sees time this year.

He was already raw - having to adjust to a second, more complicated system while dealing with an injury likely set him back. If Diarra comes back healthy, I think Whaley gets bumped back another seat and won’t see much time on the court.

Reaction Score
I’m sure that the ankle doesn’t help, but he’s been lost in space when he sees time this year.

He was already raw - having to adjust to a second, more complicated system while dealing with an injury likely set him back. If Diarra comes back healthy, I think Whaley gets bumped back another seat and won’t see much time on the court.

Right. Even if Whaley was healthy he should never see meaningful minutes.

Reaction Score
Fans always want the backup QB until he gets in the game and then they see why he's the backup QB. I think our fanbase has a little of that with our bigs. The unknown is always attractive because you you don't see their shortcomings in action. We have some decent pieces, but it's no secret that as a whole the 4/5 position group needs to be upgraded. I'm confident Hurley and the staff will get it done.

Reaction Score
Announcers during the New Hampshire game said he tweaked it again in practice prior to that game. He limped around pretty good in the minimal time he played during the NH game..

Reaction Score
as a former 4 star this is a make or break year for diarra. not to mention that he's the only guy on this roster that could back up carlton inside next year.

hoping he can grab any/all minutes that yawke or whaley would get by season's end, and then some. diarra is bigger and more athletic than both of them, at least in theory.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
i guess i really don't care who steps up but this game of musical chairs makes my head spin...

between polley, carlton, cobb, yawke, whaley, and diarra, we'll have 6 guys rotating in and out of the 4 and 5 spots!

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Fans always want the backup QB until he gets in the game and then they see why he's the backup QB. I think our fanbase has a little of that with our bigs. The unknown is always attractive because you you don't see their shortcomings in action. We have some decent pieces, but it's no secret that as a whole the 4/5 position group needs to be upgraded. I'm confident Hurley and the staff will get it done.

We have about 430 minutes of Whaley now and it’s pretty clear what he is.

A plus defender moving towards elite who can guard multiple positions, but who isn’t good on offense and needs to improve his strength to improve his rebounding.

The biggest concern is fit with the lack of a spacing bit besides Polley since I’m not sure how many front court minutes can be Polley/Whaley. I’m thinking few.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
After seeing a little of Wilson I think he's going to grab some of Whaley's minutes and once he's healthy it's going to be tough to get them back.

Reaction Score
I would not count out Isaiah Whaley just yet. We definitely need interior defense and both offensive and defensive rebounding. Isaiah was serviceable last year as a freshman and showed a knack for being a multi-position defender and having a nose for offensive rebounds. He is 6:8 or so, 210lbs, is very mobile and has good timing for blocking/altering shots.

Isaiah hasn't really had the opportunity yet this year to demonstrate his improvement in skills and strength due to early season matchups and limited minutes for bigs vs smaller teams, and then the ankle injury early in the game 3 or 4 games ago.

His scoring, while not strong, may have improved this year, but he could be an important player for us defensively and a solid part of the rotation. Isaiah does not turn the ball over, he's solid out there.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom