Whaley per 25 minutes | The Boneyard

Whaley per 25 minutes

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
7.0 points, 6.4 rebounds, 0.8 assists, 1.9 blocks and 1.2 steals. If he's not in foul trouble, we have to play him more. Another DNP coach's decision is unacceptable. He's also the only guy on the team with more steals than turnovers.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
How is he going to get a DNP - Coach's Decision? How is anyone? We only have 8 or at most 9 players.

Reaction Score
See Villanova

I think his point is that we have fewer players now than we did against Villanova, which makes it less likely he'll get a DNP.

Carlton still has more offensive ability when he's on, but Whaley fits our defensive style better and always brings a ton of energy off the bench. Good for him for sticking with the program and carving out a role for himself.

Reaction Score
The color commentator said it yesterday (the play by play guy was AWFUL btw)....but one thing Whaley does exceptionally well is hedge out on screens and disrupt the ball carrier. This is really difficult for a big to do and most of the time I'm screaming at the television for the big to get back to the paint (with Carlton, this is definitely the case). But with Whaley, he has a knack for disrupting and poking the ball away from the guard, and then gets back really quickly to the paint when he needs to. Best big we've had at doing that in recent memory.

Reaction Score
Whaley looks like Tupac. I've been saying it to myself for a couple of years now. I'm not sure if anyone on this board has mentioned it, but I'm doing it now.

Also yeah, Whaley giving us big minutes. So athletic and effective on defense. Love watching him work hard.

Hoops91

The Truth Factory
Reaction Score
I feel so much more comfortable when he's in the game compared to Carlton. He's got good hands, and is smart with the ball. He doesn't look to get rid of the ball as soon as he gets it, he scans the defense and makes the right decision where to pass. His defense is solid too. Truly night and day from last year, good for him!
:)

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The color commentator said it yesterday (the play by play guy was AWFUL btw)....but one thing Whaley does exceptionally well is hedge out on screens and disrupt the ball carrier. This is really difficult for a big to do and most of the time I'm screaming at the television for the big to get back to the paint (with Carlton, this is definitely the case). But with Whaley, he has a knack for disrupting and poking the ball away from the guard, and then gets back really quickly to the paint when he needs to. Best big we've had at doing that in recent memory.

He's absolutely really good at this and recovers very quickly. Because he's actually an undersized 4. Carlton is terrible at this and recovers very slowly, leaving the lane vulnerable. That said, Carlton is much better at handling big post players around the rim, holding ground and disrupting their shots. Whaley can block shots, but mostly of smaller guys. UConn defense under Ollie (and JC to some extent) didn't really ask the center to hedge out so far on screens and recover quickly. Brimah wasn't good at it either. Hurley really expects this, which is why Josh has struggled in his defense. But next time we face a big center, we are going to want Josh in. Hurley need to adjust and stop letting opponents drag him outside.

Apollo

step back from the ledge
Reaction Score
Whaley looks like Tupac. I've been saying it to myself for a couple of years now. I'm not sure if anyone on this board has mentioned it, but I'm doing it now.

Also yeah, Whaley giving us big minutes. So athletic and effective on defense. Love watching him work hard.
I posted this picture in another thread the other day
7D0E2325-DD1C-41B2-B0E5-E22728775BD5.jpeg

Reaction Score
Just want to throw out there, I think Whaley's been playing fantastic lately, for him or for anyone really. In Charleston after the Miami game, we hung around and saw some of the players hanging out outside the arena. Whaley couldn't be happier to chat and take a quick pic with a few of us, seemed genuinely happy that fans wanted to get a picture with him rather than annoyed that he had eyes on him.

I really wish the best for the guy, you have to have guys on a team who have a smile on their face and show you how much they enjoy playing the game and fighting with their teammates against their opponent. Those guys aren't always the most talented and necessary pieces of the team from a box score standpoint, but I think they're crucial for team cohesion which you really need to have a successful team throughout a season.

Reaction Score
Just want to throw out there, I think Whaley's been playing fantastic lately, for him or for anyone really. In Charleston after the Miami game, we hung around and saw some of the players hanging out outside the arena. Whaley couldn't be happier to chat and take a quick pic with a few of us, seemed genuinely happy that fans wanted to get a picture with him rather than annoyed that he had eyes on him.

I really wish the best for the guy, you have to have guys on a team who have a smile on their face and show you how much they enjoy playing the game and fighting with their teammates against their opponent. Those guys aren't always the most talented and necessary pieces of the team from a box score standpoint, but I think they're crucial for team cohesion which you really need to have a successful team throughout a season.
Phil Nolan comes to mind. Remember MSG.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Phil was great with the footwork, but not much of a shot blocker and wasn't as efficient of a scorer as Whaley. Oddly, when he played in the Danish league, he developed a very reliable jumper, even from 3 point range. As far as I know, he hasn't played pro ball anywhere since 2017, despite being a starter and key player on the roster for Fog Naestved in their championship season.

Reaction Score
Phil Nolan comes to mind. Remember MSG.
Nolan was awful. He got better in learning the position, screening ,Picking,etc.
So he became a well rounded Semi-skilled big.
Whaley showed good defensive skill since his freshman year but lack of any offense almost got him a transfer . Hurley barely used him last year. and his future looked bleak . Good for him that he worked on his game.
I’m for any kid that tries to get better..
side note
Carlton and Whaley were a combined 4-4 in FTs and the only guy that missed one was Vital (7-8 )one of the best in the country. You can’t make this stuff up.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom