Whaley hypothetical | The Boneyard

Whaley hypothetical

Reaction Score
First off shout out to Whaley for being the only member of the team, including the coaching staff, to actually show up tonight. I will caveat this by saying - it is may sound absurd to encourage Whaley to have shot MORE threes, but he proved effective on volume and I think it would’ve won the team the game

So he was 4/8 from three, shooting practice shots, and Creighton showed no desire to guard him the entire game (in order to pack the paint to stop Sanogo and prevent offensive rebounds). Yet Hurley seemed to stick to the same offensive gameplan the entire game - get it to Sanogo and run Cole drives off ball screens, which obviously wasn’t working

After Whaley’s third make (to go 3/6) at 13:16 in the second, he took two more threes the rest of the game. You could have counted probably 4-6 additional WIDE open looks he passed up in that time frame

Why wouldn’t Hurley encourage him to shoot every single one of those looks he passed up (or even run something light with him as the second option) when he shot 50% to the team’s 8% from distance? At the very least, he probably makes 1/4 or 2/4, which crushes the team’s average and probably wins us the game (or finally draws Creighton bigs out of the paint). Instead we get a bunch of bricks, running the same offense that wasn’t working all game.

This was another example to me of Hurley letting another team dictate the game plan for him, and not taking what he was given. Other adjustments could have been made, but not having Whaley shoot a few more threes stood out to me

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Even if Hurley told him to shoot, he might not. It’s just not him.
I mean he shot 8 of them, what’s 3 or 4 more? He had at least 4 absolutely wide open looks in the last 15 that he didn’t take, arguably more. Rest of the team shot 1/13, he had to know he was the best shooter out there tonight.

As a 5th year senior if the message loud and clear was “keep shooting” I don’t think he is too afraid to

Reaction Score
First off shout out to Whaley for being the only member of the team, including the coaching staff, to actually show up tonight. I will caveat this by saying - it is may sound absurd to encourage Whaley to have shot MORE threes, but he proved effective on volume and I think it would’ve won the team the game

So he was 4/8 from three, shooting practice shots, and Creighton showed no desire to guard him the entire game (in order to pack the paint to stop Sanogo and prevent offensive rebounds). Yet Hurley seemed to stick to the same offensive gameplan the entire game - get it to Sanogo and run Cole drives off ball screens, which obviously wasn’t working

After Whaley’s third make (to go 3/6) at 13:16 in the second, he took two more threes the rest of the game. You could have counted probably 6-8 additional WIDE open looks he passed up in that time frame

Why wouldn’t Hurley encourage him to shoot every single one of those looks he passed up (or even run something light with him as the second option) when he shot 50% to the team’s 8%? At the very least, he probably makes 1/4 or 2/4, which crushes the team’s average and probably wins us the game (or finally draws Creighton bigs out of the paint). Instead we get a bunch of bricks, running the same offense that wasn’t working all game.

This was another example to me of Hurley letting another team dictate the game plan for him, and not taking what he was given. Other adjustments could have been made, but not having Whaley shoot a few more threes stood out to me
Whaley scored because they wanted him to. They bet he wouldn't take enough or hit enough to win and they were right.

Reaction Score
Whaley scored because they wanted him to. They bet he wouldn't take enough or hit enough to win and they were right.
They were absolutely right, but they didn’t have to be if he took even just a few more. He takes just 3 more threes in the last 13 minutes (we missed 5 over that time frame) and makes one, we win

Reaction Score
They were absolutely right, but they didn’t have to be if he took even just a few more. He takes just 3 more threes in the last 13 minutes (we missed 5 over that time frame) and makes one, we win
I like that the U in your avatar with the yellow background looks like a smile incidentally.

Reaction Score
They were intentionally leaving whaley open. That was their game plan. If Whaley shot every time, wouldn’t that be letting the other team dictate the game?

You have it backwards.
I hear you, but their gameplan was also to pack the paint, while Hurley kept trying to go inside. Whaley is shooting 50% at volume - you encourage him to keep taking what he is given

Letting the other team dictate the gameplan is also running the same offense for 40 minutes when it clearly is not working in your favor, rather than trying something different

Reaction Score
The last 3 he took was almost an airball, it missed the rim but barely got the bottom of the backboard, I think that rattled him and was the reason he passed up the couple more open looks he got. He is a 24% 3 pointer shooting coming into tonight, its not like he has Curry's confidence from back there, a bad miss in a tight game can easily effect the psyche.

Reaction Score
The last 3 he took was almost an airball, it missed the rim but barely got the bottom of the backboard, I think that rattled him and was the reason he passed up the couple more open looks he got. He is a 24% 3 pointer shooting coming into tonight, its not like he has Curry's confidence from back there, a bad miss in a tight game can easily effect the psyche.
That's a good point. He had a similarly bad miss or two in the first half, but clearly means a bit more in the 2H

Reaction Score
Also, to add to this: do people think that they would have guarded Akok in the perimeter if he went in there as the 4?

He was only in for 2 minutes at the end of the 1H, so too small a sample size to tell, but he's even better than Whaley from the three, especially if wide open. Could have been an interesting look to throw him out there

Reaction Score
Also, to add to this: do people think that they would have guarded Akok in the perimeter if he went in there as the 4?

He was only in for 2 minutes at the end of the 1H, so too small a sample size to tell, but he's even better than Whaley from the three, especially if wide open. Could have been an interesting look to throw him out there
The reality is it's very hard to play Akok based on the defensive drop-off. It happened at least once today and has been happening frequently where he gets totally lost and turned around on switches, leading to easy baskets. He just doesn't bring enough offensively right now to make up for that drop-off.

Reaction Score
The reality is it's very hard to play Akok based on the defensive drop-off. It happened at least once today and has been happening frequently where he gets totally lost and turned around on switches, leading to easy baskets. He just doesn't bring enough offensively right now to make up for that drop-off.
Agree. Wonder what that is - seems like more of a mental lapse than anything physical

Will also say physically that he is a step slow in the 1 v 1, and the timing/explosive leaping just isn't quite there anymore

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
I wish AJ had tried for a few, not sure he had many good looks though. In Akok's brief foray I don't think I saw him try to post up in the corner which is where he's good from.

I blame everything on those two miracle bounce 3s RHawkins had. I mean, two in one game??

Reaction Score
If the coaches are more concerned with their method, than a working defense they can win with, then Akok might not fit. He’s a great off ball shot blocker. Is there a better way to use him? I’m only comfortable with Isaiah doing hard hedges. Not Sanogo (but he’s getting better), not Akok, not Polley. I don’t like seeing AJ playing in someone’s grill either. It’s usually someone that goes past him. Again, what works for him? Maybe the defense should change or adjust to the folks you have, not the ones you want.

Reaction Score
Whaley should be in the gym an extra hour shooting nothing but 3s.

Creighton's staff looks like geniuses because UConn didn't adapt.

Props to Whaley though for hitting the shots. However, the team needs to be prepared to see that more and more.

Creighton looked like a team of lightweights out there.. and they still handled their business.

Reaction Score
They were intentionally leaving whaley open. That was their game plan. If Whaley shot every time, wouldn’t that be letting the other team dictate the game?

You have it backwards.

Doesn’t the other team/coach always dictate the game plan versus us? Did anyone notice DH and the staff tried to move Polley around on D versus different players? And to that point McDermott most of the time made sure the ball got in his players hands who Polley was guarding. And it was very successful. Think about the points he gave up in 21 minutes versus the 2 he made. That’s the other team dictating the game plan. Guessing he was thrilled to see 21 minutes from a guy he was making sure didn’t get looks.

Reaction Score

And when Whaley adds the points he has as of late I wonder how those folks are feeling who wanted that change so badly.

It’s tough to see where Akok is we all thought there would be so much more. Still hold out some hope but for now he’s getting what is deserved.

Reaction Score
The fact that IW 3s were our best offense shows how vanilla and easy to guard/gameplan we are. I watch Big 10/Big 12 a lot and it’s frustrating to see teams that have less talent than us attack the hoop successfully all the time. It just seems our half court offense plays a step or two slower than most good teams.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
If they leave him alone at the top of the arc, he can make them regularly. Otherwise, not so much.

Reaction Score
If they leave him alone at the top of the arc, he can make them regularly. Otherwise, not so much.

Sounds like every shooter on our team not named Cole though right?

Reaction Score
If the coaches are more concerned with their method, than a working defense they can win with, then Akok might not fit. He’s a great off ball shot blocker. Is there a better way to use him? I’m only comfortable with Isaiah doing hard hedges. Not Sanogo (but he’s getting better), not Akok, not Polley. I don’t like seeing AJ playing in someone’s grill either. It’s usually someone that goes past him. Again, what works for him? Maybe the defense should change or adjust to the folks you have, not the ones you want.
I mean the issue is you just can't exist solely as an off-ball shot blocker. Akok has been having consistent mental lapses guarding the perimeter and on switches basically everywhere on the court, leading to a lot of easy baskets recently and other teams are going right at him down low on defense where he's being pushed around by most anyone. This isn't really a question of Hurley asking him to do something he's not equipped for, he's just not executing on things that any modern 4 is going to be asked to do defensively.

Reaction Score
I mean the issue is you just can't exist solely as an off-ball shot blocker. Akok has been having consistent mental lapses guarding the perimeter and on switches basically everywhere on the court, leading to a lot of easy baskets recently and other teams are going right at him down low on defense where he's being pushed around by most anyone. This isn't really a question of Hurley asking him to do something he's not equipped for, he's just not executing on things that any modern 4 is going to be asked to do defensively.
I agree. Just trying to think of a way to get him to contribute.

Reaction Score
I wish AJ had tried for a few, not sure he had many good looks though. In Akok's brief foray I don't think I saw him try to post up in the corner which is where he's good from.

I blame everything on those two miracle bounce 3s RHawkins had. I mean, two in one game??
Sometimes there are games when you have to up your intenseiy to compensate. It's on the team and coaches that this didn't happen.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score

After Whaley’s third make (to go 3/6) at 13:16 in the second, he took two more threes the rest of the game. You could have counted probably 4-6 additional WIDE open looks he passed up in that time frame

Why wouldn’t Hurley encourage him to shoot every single one of those looks he passed up (or even run something light with him as the second option) when he shot 50% to the team’s 8% from distance? At the very least, he probably makes 1/4 or 2/4, which crushes the team’s average and probably wins us the game (or finally draws Creighton bigs out of the paint). Instead we get a bunch of bricks, running the same offense that wasn’t working all game.

Interesting observation. Does he have a philosophy of "sharing the sugar" with balanced scoring so ingrained that he thinks (and perhaps the team as well) that someone is playing "hero ball" (when
they continue to shoot when given the wide open opportunity). Shooters have to shoot with confidence and no conscience. Contradictory philosophies can screw up a shooters head. We saw AJ FINALLY take some threes which he missed. Keep shooting AJ. We have seen Akok shoot threes and score. Tyrese shooting and scoring. Polley shooting and scoring. Shooting should be a muscle memory once you see the opportunity. No time to think about it let alone overthink it; shoot with form and keep shooting. Are all of our players severe streak shooters????? What's wrong with that picture? You can see them hesitating (thinking); that shouldn't be. I am not sure why the hesitation but it shows lack of confidence or confusion. Should you be hesitating (thinking) when you are hitting a golf ball? Facing fastballs and breaking pitches in the batter's box? Keep it simple. Move the ball and sometimes the body until we find a good shot opportunity. Opportunity -- Form-- shoot. Take your best shot. Move on. Play good D. Start the offense all over again. Good shots on goal. (Ray Allen: "Play hard......stay calm") Keep it simple. Believe.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom