Whaley: “Coach doesn’t want me to be ‘The Wrench’ anymore... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Whaley: “Coach doesn’t want me to be ‘The Wrench’ anymore...

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I would guess more then half of his fouls last year were due to ball fakes by his own man. Dont want this to be a negative on Whaley, great shot blocker but most are on help defense, yes he blocks his own man but he fouls more then he blocks those, IMO anyway. He is more then quick enough and has outstanding timing combined w athletic ability to not commit to the block more until his man has committed to the jump shot

Agree. Post players back him down and score over him. Chris Vogt from Cinci dominated him. He struggles with big 5s. I doubt he could guard Sanogo effectively. He's a great defender, but he really is a 4 not a 5 on the defensive end unless facing a small ball 5. Happy to have him back in our tool box, and I'm hoping he keeps working on that jumper.

Reaction Score
I’m so glad to have the WAP back. (Whaley And Polley)
Well Played GIF by memecandy

Reaction Score
Agree. Post players back him down and score over him. Chris Vogt from Cinci dominated him. He struggles with big 5s. I doubt he could guard Sanogo effectively. He's a great defender, but he really is a 4 not a 5 on the defensive end unless facing a small ball 5. Happy to have him back in our tool box, and I'm hoping he keeps working on that jumper.

He's definitely a bit of a conundum, but can be VERY effective when used properly.

Right now, he's clearly a 5 on offense unless he develops that shot. A 3 point shot at 35% on a few attempts per game would earn him a lot of money in Europe.

And on defense, he's super effective as a 5 if the opponent isn't a back to the basket big. Put him against a big 4 (someone like Akok/Johnson), and he is absolutely stifling on defense.

But... we also want to keep him involved in as many pick and rolls as possible, because his quick hands and feet are so effective there on D.

You've gotta figure that Sanogo and Whaley are probably playing together at least 15 mins a game, including starting. Scheming and utilizing matchups so that Whaley can stay in the PnR but also guarding the right type of player while playing WITH Sanogo is a tall task, but if we can figure it out with really solid scouting and in-game adjustments our defense will be absolutely elite.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Hope Whaley can work on his handle and continue to improve his jumpshot this summer. His best way to the league would be as a stretch 4. Lord knows he has the defense and motor to get their. Just get them skills up. Would help if he could fit next to Sanogo better as a stretch 4 next year too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom