Whalen Retires from International Basketball | The Boneyard

Whalen Retires from International Basketball

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Any chance they will expand the pool to now include Moriah Jefferson?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Well that certainly opens up the team to a new face as the backup PG!

Congrats to Lindsay for years of selfless dedication to Team USA. She was a great leader and is a role model for future hoopsters. I'll be the first to admit I wasn't sure of her selection to Team USA the when she was first named all those years ago, but she made me a believer right away! Totally different playing style from Sue, and still it meshed incredibly with the team.

Thank you Lindsay and much success in your future endeavors!

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
upload_2018-2-2_11-45-12.png

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Any chance they will expand the pool to now include Moriah Jefferson?

There will be a few players at the training camp that are not members of the official pool. The article describes them as "national team hopefuls".

"Attending the camp as USA National Team hopefuls are: Allisha Gray (Dallas Wings); Chelsea Gray (Los Angeles Sparks); Tiffany Mitchell (Indiana Fever); Brittney Sykes (Atlanta Dream); Sydney Wiese (Los Angeles Sparks); and Elizabeth Williams (Atlanta Dream)."

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Well that certainly opens up the team to a new face as the backup PG!

Congrats to Lindsay for years of selfless dedication to Team USA. She was a great leader and is a role model for future hoopsters. I'll be the first to admit I wasn't sure of her selection to Team USA the when she was first named all those years ago, but she made me a believer right away! Totally different playing style from Sue, and still it meshed incredibly with the team.

Thank you Lindsay and much success in your future endeavors!

The kind of player who grew on you, year in and year out. Great part of the national team.
Sounds like she's exploring some future options, based on this article:
Whalen exits USA Basketball, still in WNBA

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Lindsay Whalen epitomized hard-nosed and selfless play. She had a huge impact coming off the bench in her first Olympics; I'll never forget some of her drives where she just seemed to will herself to the bucket. And let's not forget, she was always a favorite of Geno, dating back to her college days.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Congrats to Lindsay for going out on top! She'll be 36 this spring and was getting close to the end of stellar play. She struggled with injuries in the WNBA playoffs a couple of years ago, but was a spark last season in helping the Lynx win their 4th WNBA championship. I believe that she also stayed in the U.S., rather than playing abroad the past season or two.

Her style was very different from that of Sue Bird. Lindsay is physical and aggressive, a combination of a bull in a china shop and a hockey player, which she actually was (much like Kia Nurse!). Geno LOVED Lindsay.

This opens the door for someone else and helps the team get younger. It may also lead to USA Basketball ensuring that Diana and/or Sue makes the team for their experience and leadership.

Thanks to Lindsay for representing our country so gloriously! Well done!

Reaction Score
As of right know they are playing. If they are healthy this year and 2020.They will be on the team.

Reaction Score
Congrats and best wishes to a great player.
What struck me most is her selflessness in thinking ahead to leaving, and that enabling the national team to groom a younger point guard.
Speaks volumes about Lindsay Whalen!
Be interesting to see who fills her role?
Bronx23

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom