Whalen announces retirement | The Boneyard

Whalen announces retirement

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I'm glad she made this announcement now. Two of the Lynx's final three games are at home including the last game of the season. Lynx fans will have a chance to honor a Minnesota native who became a great player, a Gold medalist and a four-time WNBA champion.

Congrats on a brilliant playing career that's not over yet . . .

Reaction Score
well that worked out..............didn't think the player/college coach thing was going to be easy..............now she can spend all of her time pleading her school's case to Paige Bueckers..........in a purely unselfish way, it would be kind of neat if she could convince her to stay there

Reaction Score
Lindsay Whalen has always been a favorite of mine, going back to her days at MN!
She's as tough as nails and never gave an inch in competition!
She'd rather make contact with the opponent than go around them!
She'll make a great HC at the University of MN as she has a great BB mind!
A future Hall of Famer in both the Women's BB HofF in Knoxville, TN and Naismith BB HofF in Springfield, MA!

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
HUGE CONGRATS to Whalen. Any basketball fan can appreciate her tenacity and hard play each and every game. Good Luck to her in her new coaching journey.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
A trip down memory lane. Whalen and McCarville burst on the scene in wcbb while leading the Gophers to the Final Four in the 2004 NCAA tournament. UConn ended the Gophers's run in the semi-finals before winning championship #5 against the Vols. I was at that game and remember the exhausting back and forth late in the 2nd half when neither team could score and UConn was up by 3. With less than 4 minutes to play Whalen drove to the basket and missed (she thought she was fouled) and on the ensuing possession Ann Strother nailed a 3. Game over.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
"Has anyone, male or female, done more for Minnesota sports?"

Off the top of my head - Kevin Garnett, George Mikan, Joe Mauer, Kirby Puckett, Kevin McHale, Herb Brooks.

Of course I have no idea what Rebecca means by 'done more for'. Certainly does not mean brought more revenue, more enjoyment or more fame. Another example of why it is problematic to compare male and female athletes. They are non-overlapping magisteria.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
"Has anyone, male or female, done more for Minnesota sports?"[/B]

Off the top of my head - Kevin Garnett, George Mikan, Joe Mauer, Kirby Puckett, Kevin McHale, Herb Brooks.

Of course I have no idea what Rebecca means by 'done more for'. Certainly does not mean brought more revenue, more enjoyment or more fame. Another example of why it is problematic to compare male and female athletes. They are non-overlapping magisteria.
Randy Moss, Fran Tarkenton , Alan Page ...

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Randy Moss, Fran Tarkenton , Alan Page ...

Baseball players Rod Carew and Harmon Killebrew and the football coach -- still alive and kicking - of the Purple People Eaters, Bud Grant (who needs an overcoat...it's only minus 20 degrees? :rolleyes: :cool:)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
She may have meant University of Minnesota sports, rather than sports in the state of Minnesota?

Reaction Score
She may have meant University of Minnesota sports, rather than sports in the state of Minnesota?

That was one or two years a long time ago. I’m pretty sure she was talking about her career in its entirety. She was hyperbolic but reporters have that tendency.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Congratulations to Lindsey. She's earned her retirement. She personifies toughness. I hope she makes the transition from playing legend to coaching better than Katie Smith has.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom