"We've got to get tougher," Ollie said. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

"We've got to get tougher," Ollie said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Miller should occasionally be picking and rolling form the top if we can't get it to him on the low block. After all he's the only one I would give it o off the roll anyway, he can do something with it.

Enoch holds his picks as does Nolan on occasion, Facey and AB leave before the defense even gets there half the time so that tends to be worthless. Need playmakers on the screen so Miller and even DHam should be thrown up there to pick for the guards and roll.

Reaction Score
The problem with a lot of the coaching staff is that we've tried too hard to stay in the Uconn family while rather than going for the best talent. It's like a band where the lead guitarist only recruits his friends as members, regardless how well they can (if they can) play.
I think some of that is due to Ollie being a HC virgin and wanting to make sure he surrounded himself with trusted coaches. This also means its tougher to make changes because of the two way loyalty that he has built his coaching foundation on.

I think we are 'stuck' with what we have until retirement or promotion, as I can't see Coach firing or deftly letting a Coach go.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Take a step back though. Our main screener up top is Brimah. Do we really want to hit Brimah cutting to the basket 17 feet from the hoop? I'm just thinking that will not end so well. That's what the D wants us to do; hence the hard hedge/double. The screen/roll offense worked quite well in 2014 b/c Giffey and DD were common screeners (remember all the behind the back passes to Giff?) and when it was Nolan or Brimah, Bazz or Boat got rid of the ball early enough to take advantage of the D's aggressiveness.
Right. That was my point. Why do we continue to do it?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
When I read the title I was thinking KO was referring to the Boneyard posters.

Reaction Score
When I read the title I was thinking KO was referring to the Boneyard posters.
KO Takes the stand: I'm just real disappointed in the way weve performed. We have to come together and work with each other

Boneyard: FIRE OLLIE AND START ONLY SAM CASSEL

Reaction Score
The consistency of this team has been to verbalized what needs to be done and the then go out and not do it! Failure to play 40 minute games, failure to build on leads and put teams away, leadership failure, overrated talent, failure of half court offense, too many tall thin guys in the middle, lack of cohesion are some of the issues with this team. Mediocre at best.

Reaction Score
Everybody on here is focused on the initial pick n roll which is usually operated fine, it's the lack of off ball action/exchanges that makes the offense a dumpster fire. Two players actively cut and screen off ball ; Adams and Calhoun.

Uconns players have developed immensely on defense, but at the moment KOs lack of coaching on offense makes the team damn unwatchable. Literally I don't recall a single back door pass to a good cutter, There is no cutting. The staff has not imparted any sort of scheme to get their best players easy looks (Miller mainly). It's almost like they've spent zero time practicing offense but instead have focused in on pnr defense which is fine I guess.

And im discouraged by some of the players quotes ,"I can't miss layups that's on me". Youre missing layups because youre not good enough to drive into traffic and finish over three defenders.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Right. That was my point. Why do we continue to do it?

That's a question for Mr. KO... Either he's stubborn (perhaps), totally oblivious (hope not), or he's an eternal optimist that all of a sudden Gibbs becomes Bazz (unfortunately, probable; the thought, not the reality.)

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
We lost some edge and toughness when T Sam left. He had his limitations on offense but his defense and edge would've helped this year.

Reaction Score
I don't think we are as far away as most of you think. We have a top 3 defense and YES, 3 out of our best 6 players are new, I think this is the way we have to attack the offense and the rest of the season.

Go small as much as possible.

Our best offense is.....

Adams high pick and roll with Brimah, with Gibbs/Purvis/Hamilton, Adams either goes all the way for layups, throws a dunk to Brimah or hits a shooter for a trey or a drive to make the defense rotated twice, if they double the ball, someone is open for a jumper or drive on the second rotation.

Hamilton has really been enigma to the offense, similar to Melo he's a ball stopper and cannot get all the way to the basket and when he does he's not a great shooter. So if you want to replace him with Miller that's fine.

Gibbs is a deadly 3 point shooter, but not much else, so play to your strength and keep the ball in Adams hands more.

Purvis is the second best penetrator on the team, put him and pick's and rolls as well

I want to see these 6 players on the court as much as possible, enough of Calhoun, Facey, Nolan, Enoch.

Play your best 6 and high ball screen with Adams and Purvis.

When Miller is in the game give him touches on the block.

Have Hamilton come off the bench and explain to him he needs to play within the offense and move the basketball.

We are getting near tournament and money time, must win and the time is now!!

PG Adams
SG Gibbs
SF Purvis
PF Miller
C Brimah

1st Sub Hamilton for Miller or Brimah.

Reaction Score
We lost some edge and toughness when T Sam left. He had his limitations on offense but his defense and edge would've helped this year.
TSam was vastly overrated on defense. Couple that with the fact that he literally could not dribble, I don't really miss him.

Reaction Score
TSam was vastly overrated on defense. Couple that with the fact that he literally could not dribble, I don't really miss him.
Or shoot, last year he had zero threes for the season. Cassell is better than him

Reaction Score
Or shoot, last year he had zero threes for the season. Cassell is better than him
That's one hell of a debate. Cassell vs TSam. I take TSam because I'll always remember him saving us when Bazz got in foul trouble vs Nova

Reaction Score
That's one hell of a debate. Cassell vs TSam. I take TSam because I'll always remember him saving us when Bazz got in foul trouble vs Nova
TSam all day, still think he will be a pretty decent player at Penn St.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Yeah I actually think tsam as a freshman later in the year was better than he was as a sophomore . He got worst

Reaction Score
If you said TSam couldn't shoot I would agree.His handled was vastly underrated as he was usually dribbling into a packed D. He got to the hoop fine when the other team had to be concerned with shooters like DD, Giff, Bazz or Boat.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
Good points. He was a role/ situational player.

Reaction Score
I don't think we are as far away as most of you think. We have a top 3 defense and YES, 3 out of our best 6 players are new, I think this is the way we have to attack the offense and the rest of the season.

Go small as much as possible.

Our best offense is.....

Adams high pick and roll with Brimah, with Gibbs/Purvis/Hamilton, Adams either goes all the way for layups, throws a dunk to Brimah or hits a shooter for a trey or a drive to make the defense rotated twice, if they double the ball, someone is open for a jumper or drive on the second rotation.

Hamilton has really been enigma to the offense, similar to Melo he's a ball stopper and cannot get all the way to the basket and when he does he's not a great shooter. So if you want to replace him with Miller that's fine.

Gibbs is a deadly 3 point shooter, but not much else, so play to your strength and keep the ball in Adams hands more.

Purvis is the second best penetrator on the team, put him and pick's and rolls as well

I want to see these 6 players on the court as much as possible, enough of Calhoun, Facey, Nolan, Enoch.

Play your best 6 and high ball screen with Adams and Purvis.

When Miller is in the game give him touches on the block.

Have Hamilton come off the bench and explain to him he needs to play within the offense and move the basketball.

We are getting near tournament and money time, must win and the time is now!!

PG Adams
SG Gibbs
SF Purvis
PF Miller
C Brimah

1st Sub Hamilton for Miller or Brimah.
You just put a guy who is 2nd in the league in rebounding, and 2nd in the league in assists, on the bench.

Reaction Score
If you said TSam couldn't shoot I would agree.His handled was vastly underrated as he was usually dribbling into a packed D. He got to the hoop fine when the other team had to be concerned with shooters like DD, Giff, Bazz or Boat.
Wait, what?? You actually think TSam could dribble? Him being pressured up the court by just one defender last year would make me nervous.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
Yeah I actually think tsam as a freshman later in the year was better than he was as a sophomore . He got worst
I think putting him into a situation in which he actually had to play some PG
Was overwhelming and exposed him. It went down hill quickly after that. If he couldve just played in situations this season like he did as a freshman , it would've help.

Reaction Score
Good points. He was a role/ situational player.
Yes, what a good point that he literally can't dribble. Somehow in his last game at UCONN he manged to play 35 minutes with Boatright out, score 10 pts on 4/5 shooting, 2/2 from the line, 6 assists, 4 rebounds, 1 steal, 2 turnovers, and 1 foul, all while not being able to dribble. Amazing.

The crap TSam gets on this board always mystifies me. He was easily better in his first two years than Giffey, and people couldn't wait to get rid of him. Meanwhile, in the Wall of Honor thread, there were people that said Giffey should be up on the wall.

Reaction Score
You just put a guy who is 2nd in the league in rebounding, and 2nd in the league in assists, on the bench.
Yes, I am. He is by far the worst shooter on the team other than Cassell Jr., shooting 37 percent this year.

I would still play him about 30 mins a game.

Needs to learn how to move the basketball.

I would play him more at the 4, because he is our best rebounder.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
Yes, what a good point that he literally can't dribble. Somehow in his last game at UCONN he manged to play 35 minutes with Boatright out, score 10 pts on 4/5 shooting, 2/2 from the line, 6 assists, 4 rebounds, 1 steal, 2 turnovers, and 1 foul, all while not being able to dribble. Amazing.

The crap TSam gets on this board always mystifies me. He was easily better in his first two years than Giffey, and people couldn't wait to get rid of him. Meanwhile, in the Wall of Honor thread, there were people that said Giffey should be up on the wall.

Good points. He was a role / situational player. * He had some good moments and I wanted him to stay.

Reaction Score

I really liked TSAM, was upset to see him go.

Griddy, tough kid, who played excellent perimeter defense, solid ball handler, solid rebounder.

Just needs to develop his offensive game and shot.

Watch next year, he will be solid on Penn St.

Reaction Score

He just looked uncomfortable with the ball in his hands, often out of control. We can agree to disagree but I just don't think he was a natural PG whatsoever.

But like I said before, he's a key reason we won a ring, so it's not like I won't support the crap out of him next year at Penn St.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom