"We've got to get tougher," Ollie said. | The Boneyard

"We've got to get tougher," Ollie said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
After 27 games, how do you plan on doing that?
  • Toughest, doesn't give an inch guy on the team is Adams. His time has been yo yo'ed all season. Second toughest is Miller. Make them captains now and tell them why. I'm sure plenty will have a problem with this, so I'll ask...Have a better plan? My starting five starts with those two. Bazz and Boat were tough and they willed the same from Giffey, Daniels and others.
  • When Gibbs has the ball on a 2 or 3 on 1 break, if he doesn't give it up to a more capable finisher, bench him.
  • If the 1/2 court offense is going to be based on the front court guys coming up to the top of the key to screen, why not teach them how to do that? Has it ever lead to anything? Brimah, and others release too early and do not actually screen. Hell, the only guy that stays long enough to set a screen is Enoch. And all the eagerness to release...ever scored from a pick and roll? What do you hope to achieve? Ever scored from a curl? Goofy, unproductive, poorly executed scheme.
  • Speaking of Enoch, make Adams his roommate. If Adam's toughness rubs off of Enoch he would be a beast. The kid has size and skills. It's about attitude.
  • Is Facey's lack of development about personal drive or coaching? If I were him, I would be pretty disappointed how his college career has progressed.
  • Player development is a travesty. Ollie seems like a good guy, but he is stubborn and is going to do it his way. That's fine if your way is the best way, but it's not. For two years, we done less with more. And to say Brimah has made great development strides by not fouling as much is nonsense. Anyone on this board could teach him that. He does seem to have learned how to take a charge here and there. Way to go Nolan.
  • We look to have some players in next year, but I can already hear the refrain...their young, they haven't learned Ollie's offense, inbound plays or end of game slow down tactics. Give it time. We all have an unlimited amount of that.

Reaction Score
Every time they lose, Ollie questions the mental toughness. If at the end of February you are still discussing mental toughness, it is unlikely you will develop it. You either have it or you don't. Also, if your layups are getting swatted away, you try something else like a pull up jumper or floater. This team seems content to lose doing it their way instead of adjusting and perhaps pulling out a win. Stubborn.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

I'd look at that as more of a generic sports cliche quote. The team has enough toughness. What it doesn't have is focus and consistency. Most inconsistent team I've seen in years.

Toughest, doesn't give an inch guy on the team is Adams. His time has been yo yo'ed all season. Second toughest is Miller. Make them captains now and tell them why. I'm sure plenty will have a problem with this, so I'll ask...Have a better plan? My starting five starts with those two. Bazz and Boat were tough and they willed the same from Giffey, Daniels and others.

Or you could just play Adams max minutes, keep Miller at 30+mpg and call it good. Making them captains is a meaningless gesture at best and causes inter-team issues at worst. Just give Adams the most burn you can.

And how can you compare anyone on this team to Shabazz? A top 5-10 player ever at UCONN. And Boat would be by far and away the best player on this team. We do not have ready made elite talent on this team. Neither Hamilton nor Adams are elite yet.

If the 1/2 court offense is going to be based on the front court guys coming up to the top of the key to screen, why not teach them how to do that? Has it ever lead to anything? And all the eagerness to release...ever scored from a pick and roll? What do you hope to achieve? Ever scored from a curl? Goofy, unproductive, poorly executed scheme.

Unfortunately, it's the only scheme that this team can play, given personnel. There are no post players who can take their man on the block and/or reliably score down low. How they don't set better screens is beyond me. I've quit asking that question.

Speaking of Enoch, make Adams his roommate. If Adam's toughness rubs off of Enoch he would be a beast. The kid has size and skills. It's about attitude.

Enoch's toughness isn't in question. It's the fact that he has no idea how to play organized team basketball yet. Too raw for this season.

Is Facey's lack of development about personal drive or coaching? If I were him, I would be pretty disappointed how his college career has progressed.

I'd question Ollie's use (or lack thereof) of Facey, more than his development. He plays well when he gets in, and he's definitely made good strides since his freshman year. No idea why Ollie doesn't give him more run.

Player development is a travesty. Ollie seems like a good guy, but he is stubborn and is going to do it his way. That's fine if your way is the best way, but it's not. For two years, we done less with more. And to say Brimah has made great development strides by not fouling as much is nonsense. Anyone on this board could teach him that. He does seem to have learned how to take a charge here and there. Way to go Nolan.

I believe this point is way overdone on here. The guys that have been here have definitely improved in a variety of metrics. This has been proven over and over again by looking at the numbers. Hamilton has improved, but he's just playing too much of a role (given our PG problems). Despite what you say, Facey has definitely improved. Brimah has improved, but the problem is that his ceiling is lower than all posters on here estimated. Nolan has no ceiling. Omar Calhoun has been plagued by injuries. SCjr is just not good. Purvis, while getting better, is an enigma; guy just has something missing head-wise.

Gibbs, Miller, Enoch, and Adams aren't applicable vis a vis development, as it's their first year in the program

We look to have some players in next year, but I can already hear the refrain...their young, they haven't learned Ollie's offense, inbound plays or end of game slow down tactics. Give it time. We all have an unlimited amount of that.

In what world do freshman come in and dominate (outside of top 10 or so)? Despite how much you seem to want/expect that, it's fantasy land stuff. Kemba was average his freshman year. Shabazz was OK in his role, but he had the best player in the country right next to him. The only legit freshmen were KEA and the second half or so of Caron's frosh season. Maybe Charlie V.

All that said, I expect Gilbert to come in and play well. He will be greatly aided by a second year Adams. And Gilbert's presence will allow Adams to play a more natural role next year; I expect it to mirror the Kemba/Shabazz dynamic from 2011. Although, Adams upside next season is not a junior Kemba Walker.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This team is what it is at this point. Consistent inconsistency. This is what you get when your best player is Daniel Hamilton, Mr. Inconsistent himself, despite having all the talent in the world.

If a million things break our way (and granted we even make the tournament) maybe this is a sweet 16 season. That's the absolute ceiling for this team based on what they've shown us so far.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
This team is what it is at this point. Consistent inconsistency. This is what you get when your best player is Daniel Hamilton, Mr. Inconsistent himself, despite having all the talent in the world.

If a million things break our way (and granted we even make the tournament) maybe this is a sweet 16 season. That's the absolute ceiling for this team based on what they've shown us so far.
Hamilton does not have all the talent in the world. The scouting reports were spot on from high school, needs to dominant the ball to be productive. He's a stat stuffer and those don't necessarily lead to team success. But if Ollie continues to go with DH at the point for the next 2 years, we're in real trouble as a program.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
The problem with a lot of the coaching staff is that we've tried too hard to stay in the Uconn family while rather than going for the best talent. It's like a band where the lead guitarist only recruits his friends as members, regardless how well they can (if they can) play.

Reaction Score
The point about setting screens and pick and rolls is painfully true. I don't remember a single basket scores off of a P&R this whole season.
This is crazy, too, since KO's first two teams lived off picks. And last year Boat was able to use them as well (although without consistent shooters they weren't as effective).

Reaction Score
The problem with a lot of the coaching staff is that we've tried too hard to stay in the Uconn family while rather than going for the best talent. It's like a band where the lead guitarist only recruits his friends as members, regardless how well they can (if they can) play.
It's also a band that's produced 4 straight gold-certified albums (20 wins), and one triple-platium (national title). With a bunch of new songs in the studio that are going to lead to many, many more platinum albums.

We're doing well and getting better.

Reaction Score
Speaking of player development there isn't a player on the team that's gotten much better at UConn lately and that's very concerning. Not necessarily blaming Ollie but we need an assistant coaching face lift to put it mildly.

Too many Yes men.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

Can someone explain to me why the fact that they are former UConn players has anything to do with their ability as coaches?

Reaction Score
Hamilton does not have all the talent in the world. The scouting reports were spot on from high school, needs to dominant the ball to be productive. He's a stat stuffer and those don't necessarily lead to team success. But if Ollie continues to go with DH at the point for the next 2 years, we're in real trouble as a program.
You really come up with some dumb stuff sometimes.

Reaction Score
Can someone explain to me why the fact that they are former UConn players has anything to do with their ability as coaches?

Its pretty simple. There are millions of people in this country. Limiting yourself to only former players as assistant coaches cant possibly be as good as selecting from that pool AND the basketball coaching population as a whole. Our coaching staff is pretty weak overall. How often does UConn dictate the tempo of the game? How often do we get easy baskets other than lobs to Brimah? When is the last time you saw Gibbs get a good, clean look as the result of a nice pick? Our half court offense is dreadful if Adams isnt on the floor. There is simply too much talent on the roster to be having a mediocre season.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
You really come up with some dumb stuff sometimes.
We've done this Hamilton point guard experiment for just about 4/5 of a season. Is there any indication we can be a top team with this offensive attack?

Watch the game closer than the box score, he does a lot more harm than good when he plays outside his element.

Reaction Score
We've done this Hamilton point guard experiment for just about 4/5 of a season. Is there any indication we can be a top team with this offensive attack?

Watch the game closer than the box score, he does a lot more harm than good when he plays outside his element.
I mean, Adams was put in the starting lineup at point guard and was starting to take more control of the offense until the incident at the half of the Temple game, so I'm not sure how you think we're trying to have Hamilton play point guard. I'm also not sure what this has to do with the paragraph of stuff you wrote about Hamilton above that doesn't at all reflect reality.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score

I'm not saying that being UConn alums hurts them, it's just that sometimes the best guy for the job isn't necessarily one of your pals/family members. If it's your first priority to keep it in the family, you may overlook better talents. I can't claim to know who would be better, nor can I claim to truly know which cylinders aren't firing. Still, we've had some dysfunction going on for a while now, especially in the bigs department. Kemba and Shabazz brought us to great heights in recent years, but we need to have a staff that can consistetnly grow/improve players and aid in establishing some sort of chemistry. I'm usually not one of the guys to complain so much after losses, but it's not the losses themselves that are bothering me this season. It's the way in which they've happened.

Reaction Score
The point about setting screens and pick and rolls is painfully true. I don't remember a single basket scores off of a P&R this whole season.

It's not even the fact that we don't score off of it, it's that teams know that the screener is not a threat so they do a hard hedge or even double the guard which throws our already $hitshow of an offense into total clusterfuck mode. Watch some of the clips. Sometimes it takes Gibbs 10 seconds on his own to try and dribble his way out of the double, before passing it 35 feet away from the hoop to Purvis or Dham who then have 10 seconds on the clock to go one-on-one. What's disturbing is that despite the obvious scouting against these sets, KO continues to begin games with them and worse yet continues to use it when it is completely ineffective.

Reaction Score
We are a rudderless ship. Lack of mental toughness simply equates to a leadership void. This relates to the whole Alpha Dog concept that never materialized from a player perspective (Adams does have the DNA/Talent). UConn has been fortunate to have the ones that led us to a National Championship. Some rudderless ships luckily make it to shore as damaged goods (An early NCAA Tournament exit). Others sink and are never to be heard from again (NIT or worse). Other ships miraculously find their clear direction and stop drifting without reaching their goals (Final4 contender).

I have a pretty good idea of what type of ship we are.

C

Chief00

• Toughest, doesn't give an inch guy on the team is Adams. His time has been yo yo'ed all season. Second toughest is Miller. Make them captains now and tell them why. I'm sure plenty will have a problem with this, so I'll ask...Have a better plan? My starting five starts with those two. Bazz and Boat were tough and they willed the same from Giffey, Daniels and others.
  • When Gibbs has the ball on a 2 or 3 on 1 break, if he doesn't give it up to a more capable finisher, bench him.
  • If the 1/2 court offense is going to be based on the front court guys coming up to the top of the key to screen, why not teach them how to do that? Has it ever lead to anything? Brimah, and others release too early and do not actually screen. Hell, the only guy that stays long enough to set a screen is Enoch. And all the eagerness to release...ever scored from a pick and roll? What do you hope to achieve? Ever scored from a curl? Goofy, unproductive, poorly executed scheme.
  • Speaking of Enoch, make Adams his roommate. If Adam's toughness rubs off of Enoch he would be a beast. The kid has size and skills. It's about attitude.
  • Is Facey's lack of development about personal drive or coaching? If I were him, I would be pretty disappointed how his college career has progressed.
  • Player development is a travesty. Ollie seems like a good guy, but he is stubborn and is going to do it his way. That's fine if your way is the best way, but it's not. For two years, we done less with more. And to say Brimah has made great development strides by not fouling as much is nonsense. Anyone on this board could teach him that. He does seem to have learned how to take a charge here and there. Way to go Nolan.
  • We look to have some players in next year, but I can already hear the refrain...their young, they haven't learned Ollie's offense, inbound plays or end of game slow down tactics. Give it time. We all have an unlimited amount of that.
You are absolutely right about Enoch being the only one that holds a screen - the other guys just go through the motions or roll to soon because they want the ball. Brimah in fairness is too skinny and gets knocked over too easily.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
You are absolutely right about Enoch being the only one that holds a screen - the other guys just go through the motions or roll to soon because they want the ball. Brimah in fairness is too skinny and gets knocked over too easily.
They roll too early because they want the ball??? We literally have NEVER hit the screener rolling to the hoop this year. Not fricken once.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Who improved?
Gibbs, Hamilton, Adams and Calhoun all improved their defense greatly this year.
Gibbs' offense was worse at the beginning of the year. Adams offense was much more inconsistent and he has improved. Miller has become a key part of our offense and a top scorer. Calhoun is better than he has been since his surgery.
Brimah is better than he was (not fouling and a little in other way)
So I disagree

I guess you could say DHam hasn't improved offensively. I think he has gone backwards. A slump turned into a new normal. Nolan isn't better than when he helped us win a championship.

Reaction Score
They roll too early because they want the ball??? We literally have NEVER hit the screener rolling to the hoop this year. Not fricken once.

Take a step back though. Our main screener up top is Brimah. Do we really want to hit Brimah cutting to the basket 17 feet from the hoop? I'm just thinking that will not end so well. That's what the D wants us to do; hence the hard hedge/double. The screen/roll offense worked quite well in 2014 b/c Giffey and DD were common screeners (remember all the behind the back passes to Giff?) and when it was Nolan or Brimah, Bazz or Boat got rid of the ball early enough to take advantage of the D's aggressiveness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom