Wetzel and Thamel: Susan is naive | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Wetzel and Thamel: Susan is naive

Reaction Score
how many Top 10 kids has UCONN signed? ... Drummond (from CT). anyone else?

Reaction Score
The thing people mostly remember about Calhoun's recruiting is the Tony Kornheiser article on Rudy Gay. Calhoun got wrecked for paying Baltimore Parks & Rec. $22k. But this was legal back then and people did it regularly. Worse, people paid the AAU club directly, not even a city entity like Parks & Rec.

So Calhoun got a bad rep because Kornheiser was friends with Gary Williams.

Not only this, but after the Rudy Gay recruitment, you had many coaches comping F4 tix to AAU guys, and soon enough, players would come their way. How many tickets did Gary Williams comp the Pump brothers when he beat out UConn for Pump AAU (and New England prepster) player Nik-Caner Medley?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
For Wetzel to have dug up that quote from some obscure site, he must have been turning over a lot of rocks to find something to slam us for.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the reference to Wetzel's Alma mater. Always sus pected that Cal of UMess blew the whistle on Miles's recruitment.

Reaction Score
Wetzel is a Umass grad who still resents how much Uconn has passed by his alma mater. He attended the school when calamari coached there so he is living in the 90s when the rivalry was big. Takes shots at Uconn whenever he can

Hey Thamel, where's the interview with the Cuse president?

Hacks...

Reaction Score
how many Top 10 kids has UCONN signed? ... Drummond (from CT). anyone else?
I thought Deandre Daniels was #10. That may have been the year before he committed.

He's the only top prospect I think is strange because he came out of nowhere. I don't think he even saw the school before committing late.

I could have my recruits mixed up though.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
The worst part following this entire scandal from the views of the AAC is that in comments sections every seems to throw UConn's name around as dirty. It's like we, the program who got punished for accurately reporting its players' grades and the program left out of CR, may be the worst program at the art of cheating in the history of college sports. Its a shame how UConn is generally seen as shady, people can't accept that much success in such a short time, they can't fathom it.

Reaction Score
The worst part following this entire scandal from the views of the AAC is that in comments sections every seems to throw UConn's name around as dirty. It's like we, the program who got punished for accurately reporting its players' grades and the program left out of CR, may be the worst program at the art of cheating in the history of college sports. Its a shame how UConn is generally seen as shady, people can't accept that much success in such a short time, they can't fathom it.

I hate that UConn never says anything about it and calls anyone out on it. They don’t have to do anything except defend the program. We have just taken it and when you do that, it goes on and on.

BUConn10

Reaction Score
I hate that UConn never says anything about it and calls anyone out on it. They don’t have to do anything except defend the program. We have just taken it and when you do that, it goes on and on.
Partly it's because Calhoun cared so little about the media's perception of him that he opened the door for narratives to be run with by any moron with a platform.

Reaction Score
JC was definitely a big part of it but Herbst is a bit tone deaf when it comes to sports. The university as a whole thinks taking the high road will provide the best result. However, they should be catching on that it doesn’t work, especially when competing against the UNC’s and UL's of the world.

BUConn10

Reaction Score
JC was definitely a big part of it but Herbst is a bit tone deaf when it comes to sports. The university as a whole thinks taking the high road will provide the best result. However, they should be catching on that it doesn’t work, especially when competing against the UNC’s and UL's of the world.
We were probably busy taking the high road when conference realignment was actually taking place.

Reaction Score
Wetzel is worried that this will lead to his buddy the squid.

Reaction Score
I thought Deandre Daniels was #10. That may have been the year before he committed.

He's the only top prospect I think is strange because he came out of nowhere. I don't think he even saw the school before committing late.

I could have my recruits mixed up though.
Only top 10 by one guy(Meyer), he was top 25-top 30 everywhere else

Reaction Score
If Calhoun made a career out of cheating to get players who didn't actually want to be here, then what he did is all the more impressive. This is especially true when 'cheating' as the NCAA defines it often stands in direct conflict with what it means to be a reasonable and decent human being. It shouldn't be lost in all of this that for all the horror of this scandal, there haven't really been any victims or anything close to it. That's because the NCAA is a deplorable cartel of the highest order that has managed to survive by propagating a moralistic rhetoric that fans can't help but adhere to. While there is no doubt that college coaches are largely narcissistic and petty, at least their cheating heeds to the capitalistic model that they're supposed to.

I don't really care about the Nate Miles thing, but if we're going to downplay that then I think we should do the same to say, Syracuse. For all that UNC and Louisville have done, our two greatest enemies remain and have always been corruption and righteousness and that is a hard distinction to apply to programs simply trying to facilitate money in the manner it was intended to be.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Calhoun had to out work dozens upon dozens of coaches and when you do that and succeed, you make people jealous. He built a regional power into a team that earned it's place in the national spotlight. He was the first coach to do that and he did it by outworking dozens of established coaches at established programs. He went across the country, found his guys, coached them how to play and then kicked a lot of asses. Since he came to UConn there probably hasn't been a single coach that wasn't intimidated by his success. Some coaches will respect his efforts and some will cop out and say he must be cheating. F them. Maybe if JC was warm and cuddly he'd get more love but we all know he wasn't that kind of guy. F them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom