Westbrook | Page 19 | The Boneyard

Westbrook

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Actually, they are considered a recruit in many ways by the NCAA until they attend their 1st class. I learned this 1st hand when Swin Cash came her freshman year. Her step-father & I were high school classmates in the Pgh area who remain in touch. When she came to campus to start classes, her family was going to stay over night with us rather than staying in a hotel before checking into her dorm the next day. In checking with the Compliance Office, I was told that since I was an employee at UConn, this would interpreted as an impermissible benefit since she was considered a recruit until she attended her 1st class. The UConn Compliance Office may have just being cautious, but I was told not have this happen.

I was actually talking about players being considered recruits in regard to how the contact restrictions apply. There was a rule change about eight years ago that made it permissible for coaches to have contact with players or for visits to take place during dead periods IF the player had already signed a NLI.

Having said that, I think the UConn office may have mis-explained the rule to you. Technically you would not be allowed to provide lodging to a player's parents even after the player was enrolled - unless you customarily provide free lodging to relatives of ordinary students as well.

Reaction Score
I was actually talking about players being considered recruits in regard to how the contact restrictions apply. There was a rule change about eight years ago that made it permissible for coaches to have contact with players or for visits to take place during dead periods IF the player had already signed a NLI.

Having said that, I think the UConn office may have mis-explained the rule to you. Technically you would not be allowed to provide lodging to a player's parents even after the player was enrolled - unless you customarily provide free lodging to relatives of ordinary students as well.

I don’t know the rules per se but I believe it would have been permissible because the parents had an established relationship long before Swin was a recruit. I believe since the parents were friends it would not have led to any sanctions but the school was being cautious.

Reaction Score
I don’t know the rules per se but I believe it would have been permissible because the parents had an established relationship long before Swin was a recruit. I believe since the parents were friends it would not have led to any sanctions but the school was being cautious.

Yes, I didn't read the first part closely. If there is an established relationship that includes things like home visits, then an exception could be made. But in that case, the rule would be the same whether she was enrolled or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom