Westbrook = Rebounding Machine | The Boneyard

Westbrook = Rebounding Machine

Reaction Score
She quietly plays a game that results in 12 points, 5 asssists and 14 rebounds. No fanfare, just plays the game. She does this most of the time, maybe not as many rebounds, but just plays this consistent. A steady force on the floor. And, we do not even know if she has any physical difficulty.

Reaction Score
Question: for those who saw E at Tennessee, how does the UConn version compare to the UT version of E?

Reaction Score
Question: for those who saw E at Tennessee, how does the UConn version compare to the UT version of E?
Interesting to read the Vol Nation input on Evina. Comments net out to "how did she get so consistent and disciplined?" Coaching, personal development, who knows, but she has been the glue with Paige that keeps this team focused.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
She had the ball in her hands most of the time and she was somewhat undisciplined. She made a lot of turnovers. However, it could be seen that with better coaching, she could be really good. She was almost unstoppable when she drove to the basket and was a very good finisher. She would tick me off when I was watching and hoping for a Tennessee loss and then she would make a difficult shot to help Tennessee turn a game around. Her maturity is much higher with UConn. I used to wonder what it would have been like if she had come to UConn. She was a talent being wasted at Tennessee. Even Vol fans agreed with that.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
She had the ball in her hands most of the time and she was somewhat undisciplined. She made a lot of turnovers. However, it could be seen that with better coaching, she could be really good. She was almost unstoppable when she drove to the basket and was a very good finisher. She would tick me off when I was watching and hoping for a Tennessee loss and then she would make a difficult shot to help Tennessee turn a game around. Her maturity is much higher with UConn. I used to wonder what it would have been like if she had come to UConn. She was a talent being wasted at Tennessee. Even Vol fans agreed with that.
So what are the comparisons with TN version of Evina and TN's Horston. From afar, it sounds like they share alot of the same issues but maybe incrementally improving?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
So what are the comparisons with TN version of Evina and TN's Horston. From afar, it sounds like they share alot of the same issues but maybe incrementally improving?
Evina improved across the board from her freshman to sophomore seasons. It is worth noting that she remained on campus all summer after her freshman season to improve her strength and conditioning as well as to work with TN MBB HC Rick Barnes on her shooting mechanics. As for Horston, while I’m not particularly close to the situation, it is my understanding that she has regressed some in this her sophomore season. In the LV’s win yesterday vs FL, Horston had 2 pts in 26 minutes.

Reaction Score
Geno doesn't take many transfer. He generally like to grow his talent in the team focused format. Thus he is great at locating or attracting talent with the same focus. Teams win, not individuals as can be seen in any NBA teams. The growth of Evina has been enormous within this system. All guards on this team have a very fast first step and learned fast in the AK game that it works well and beats man to man defenses a lot, in fact that is what seemed to beat us in that game earlier this week. We need to switch to a zone with our shot blocking back-up creating two players to beat instead of one. Of course when our bigs got way too many fouls on them, that option was greatly reduced. Geno and our players learned a lot in the AK game, it really showed with Williams.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I absolutely love Evina. She gives the UCONN team not only the leadership they need, but also in any given game, what they need to succeed (Arkansas notwithstanding, altho she did her best).

I would love to see her on the wall of honor. No chance this year, but hopefully she comes back and gets up there...

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Evina improved across the board from her freshman to sophomore seasons. It is worth noting that she remained on campus all summer after her freshman season to improve her strength and conditioning as well as to work with TN MBB HC Rick Barnes on her shooting mechanics. As for Horston, while I’m not particularly close to the situation, it is my understanding that she has regressed some in this her sophomore season. In the LV’s win yesterday vs FL, Horston had 2 pts in 26 minutes.
When Horston was being recruited her high school senior year some on the Boneyard were touting her as a future college superstar. She said she wanted to attend a school that could prepare her for the WNBA and would push her. That is one reason some Boneyarders thought she would choose UConn. A lot of UConn fans were disappointed when she chose Tennessee. She was, we were told, undoubtedly the best player coming out of high school and maybe she was. If their are some here who are disappointed with C. Williams play so far, she has been a lot better than Horston. It almost seemed, some thought, Geno had to settle for Griffin. Well, Horston is paying for that decision now and Griffin, who may not be as talented offensively, is growing her basketball skills. Horston may eventually reach her seemingly abundant potential, but I doubt it if she stays at Tennessee. She continues to be a turnover machine and is being roasted by some on VolNation. Evina's sophomore season was a lot better than Horston's. I am glad UConn got Griffin.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I absolutely love Evina. She gives the UCONN team not only the leadership they need, but also in any given game, what they need to succeed (Arkansas notwithstanding, altho she did her best).

I would love to see her on the wall of honor. No chance this year, but hopefully she comes back and gets up there...
I don’t know about HOH this year, but if UConn keeps winning right on through the Big Dance, and E keeps doing what she’s been doing game in and game out, she may have a chance. In fact, her competition as a 1st team AA could come down to her freshman partner in the UConn backcourt. Although, I would really like to see both names on the HOH this year.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
When Horston was being recruited her high school senior year some on the Boneyard were touting her as a future college superstar. She said she wanted to attend a school that could prepare her for the WNBA and would push her. That is one reason some Boneyarders thought she would choose UConn. A lot of UConn fans were disappointed when she chose Tennessee. She was, we were told, undoubtedly the best player coming out of high school and maybe she was. If their are some here who are disappointed with C. Williams play so far, she has been a lot better than Horston. It almost seemed, some thought, Geno had to settle for Griffin. Well, Horston is paying for that decision now and Griffin, who may not be as talented offensively, is growing her basketball skills. Horston may eventually reach her seemingly abundant potential, but I doubt it if she stays at Tennessee. She continues to be a turnover machine and is being roasted by some on VolNation. Evina's sophomore season was a lot better than Horston's. I am glad UConn got Griffin.
Don’t know what the issue is with Horston. With KJH doing a solid job as HC at TN, you can’t blame it on coaching anymore. The only thing I’ve noticed is that Horston has gotten a lot bigger, changing her body type from lean and athletic to muscular and more bulky. I don’t know if that change hasn’t affected her movement and athleticism on the court. She certainly isn’t a guard anymore, if she ever was one.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Don’t know what the issue is with Horston. With KJH doing a solid job as HC at TN, you can’t blame it on coaching anymore. The only thing I’ve noticed is that Horston has gotten a lot bigger, changing her body type from lean and athletic to muscular and more bulky. I don’t know if that change hasn’t affected her movement and athleticism on the court. She certainly isn’t a guard anymore, if she ever was one.
Solid job coaching, crappy job recruiting. Tennessee is lucky that Holly was such a tremendous recruiter because they have 0 top 40 recruits the last 2 cycles, and so far have one from 2022 - #33. Not sure who else they think they have a legit shot at, but 4 out of the top 10 are already off the table, and 8 out of the top 25.

Davis, Key, Horston, Burrell, Kushkituah, etc. are all Holly's kids. Suarez, the freshman, seems good. She's from Spain - probably the best recruit KH has gotten in her tenure.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score

Horston is currently battling through some physical issues. With that said, she has also dialed back her own offensive game and is playing the point guard, killing it with the assists. This is her first year where she is predominantly the point guard. Last season, she played the off guard. Part of her progression this season is to do more to distribute the ball and run the team, but to also determine when to call her own number. In the last game, when others were not scoring, Jordan reeled off 9 points in a row which included a couple of threes and drives to the basket. She then went back to running the game through others.

Defensively, she is the top player hands down and offensively, she is the best creator on the team. With the emergence of Key, I would expect Rennia, Rae, and Key to continue to lead the teams with point production and for Horston to be more about the team than her own scoring.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Horston is currently battling through some physical issues. With that said, she has also dialed back her own offensive game and is playing the point guard, killing it with the assists. This is her first year where she is predominantly the point guard. Last season, she played the off guard. Part of her progression this season is to do more to distribute the ball and run the team, but to also determine when to call her own number. In the last game, when others were not scoring, Jordan reeled off 9 points in a row which included a couple of threes and drives to the basket. She then went back to running the game through others.

Defensively, she is the top player hands down and offensively, she is the best creator on the team. With the emergence of Key, I would expect Rennia, Rae, and Key to continue to lead the teams with point production and for Horston to be more about the team than her own scoring.

What kind of physical issues?

I've honestly been surprised to see her regression this year and that she wasn't in the starting lineup until Green got hurt. Other than a huge improvement from the free throw line, her stats are pretty ho hum compared to last season. She just doesn't seem to have any fire this year...

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score

Basically, just maturity and consistency. She had already developed a really good shot that was on display during her sophomore season. She still had some games where the turnovers were high, but overall, she was a much better decision maker with a positive assist to turnover ratio. It was known to many that she would be a better player off the ball as a shooting guard, but part of her decision to play at TN was to be the point guard. Some TN fans were high on Evina and knew with more time and maturity she would be a consistent threat, but there was another segment of disgruntled fans that are just miserable people. Every fan base has them. She also battled through leg injuries her entire time there. The biggest difference I see now is maturity and a better overall team that allows her to do less and the game not fall on the shoulders of 2 players production (Evina and Rennia).

Had she stayed at TN to play for Kellie, we'd see a confident, very good player in orange, too. She did used to hot dog a bit too and looks like she's realized that it's not necessary at this level. Wish her the best

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
What kind of physical issues?

I've honestly been surprised to see her regression this year and that she wasn't in the starting lineup until Green got hurt. Other than a huge improvement from the free throw line, her stats are pretty ho hum compared to last season. She just doesn't seem to have any fire this year...

She still has the fire. She was converted to the point guard position and it took some time to adjust.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
Having seen Evina play a few times for TN I wasn’t overly excited when I heard about her transferring. Now seeing her courage and maturity and all around solid play I am so glad Evina decided to become a Husky.

You should have been excited. Heck, the blind could see that she was a baller. She averaged 15 points and 5 assists as a sophomore.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
Solid job coaching, crappy job recruiting. Tennessee is lucky that Holly was such a tremendous recruiter because they have 0 top 40 recruits the last 2 cycles, and so far have one from 2022 - #33. Not sure who else they think they have a legit shot at, but 4 out of the top 10 are already off the table, and 8 out of the top 25.

Davis, Key, Horston, Burrell, Kushkituah, etc. are all Holly's kids. Suarez, the freshman, seems good. She's from Spain - probably the best recruit KH has gotten in her tenure.

New coach just has to show the recruits her capability. The recruits will come with the emergence of the Lady Vols. That's just how recruiting works. The good news is Kellie is a great talent evaluator and doesn't need to rely on rankings that are highly inaccurate at best. Chelsea Dungee should have proven that to you. Get out of the rankings. You had 3 number 1 kids lose to Arkansas.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom