West Virginia Scouting Report | Page 2 | The Boneyard

West Virginia Scouting Report

Reaction Score
We need to get stops and defensively rebound so they can't set up the press. That's the key to the game IMO. I can't imagine we're going to be breaking the press efficiently.

Reaction Score
When we faced pressure, there were several instances when our inbounder paused before taking the ball to start the 5 seconds, even though we had a completely open guard right there to give the ball to. I assume the strategy was to get our other players in position to help with the press. The problem was that the pause also let the defense set up the press, and in my mind, it was a net negative. I'd advocate getting the ball to a guard asap after a made basket if a clean pass is available, just like off a defensive rebound. Be alert quickly after made baskets and don't let the defense set up if that is possible on particular plays.

Reaction Score
As WVU presses almost all the time, UConn can't have the same five guys on the court for all 40 minutes. That said, what are your ideal 5 to be out there most of the game in order to have success in breaking the press?

Mine: Cole, AJax, Whaley, Hawkins, give Diggins some run to experience it, and if he does well, give him all the minutes he can take. If he fails, then it's Gaffney. I'm not super confident on our ability to dribble out the press all night, so my inclination is to inbound to AJax as often as possible and have him pass to whomever the open tree is who can catch. Thankfully with Akok and Johnson as subs, we're not short on trees. I'd probably use Whaley as much or more than Cole as the inbounder.
Nobody on our team is breaking the press on their own so just run out the normal lineups and pass the ball instead of dribbling into corners

Reaction Score
Can’t find a point spread. We want to win this game but I figure we are not favored in this game so with 2 of our top players out of this game it’s like a free penalty offsides play in football, because if we keep it very close or even win it’s a victory. We still have enough talent for that if we can limit turnovers and rebound which I’m not sure we can.

Reaction Score
Can’t find a point spread. We want to win this game but I figure we are not favored in this game so with 2 of our top players out of this game it’s like a free penalty offsides play in football, because if we keep it very close or even win it’s a victory. We still have enough talent for that if we can limit turnovers and rebound which I’m not sure we can.
A close loss will absolutely not be considered a win in the eyes of the Committee.

Reaction Score
I’m scared of facing a full court trapping press. We haven’t showed any ability to break it consistently and effectively
Agree. Having nightmares about the press. How about getting the ball to AJ off of the press and let him blow by people?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Ghosts of Pittsnogle.
Taz Sherman hoists the most 3s and is hitting a woeful 29.8%. I guess Isaiah Cotrell is the closest thing they've got to a 5, and he's shooting 20% from outside. Either way, "you got Shermaned/Cotrelled" doesn't have the right ring to it.

Reaction Score
As WVU presses almost all the time, UConn can't have the same five guys on the court for all 40 minutes. That said, what are your ideal 5 to be out there most of the game in order to have success in breaking the press?

Mine: Cole, AJax, Whaley, Hawkins, give Diggins some run to experience it, and if he does well, give him all the minutes he can take. If he fails, then it's Gaffney. I'm not super confident on our ability to dribble out the press all night, so my inclination is to inbound to AJax as often as possible and have him pass to whomever the open tree is who can catch. Thankfully with Akok and Johnson as subs, we're not short on trees. I'd probably use Whaley as much or more than Cole as the inbounder.
I agree and as long as our trees are falling and not become shruby bushes we could be very competitive.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
When we faced pressure, there were several instances when our inbounder paused before taking the ball to start the 5 seconds, even though we had a completely open guard right there to give the ball to. I assume the strategy was to get our other players in position to help with the press. The problem was that the pause also let the defense set up the press, and in my mind, it was a net negative. I'd advocate getting the ball to a guard asap after a made basket if a clean pass is available, just like off a defensive rebound. Be alert quickly after made baskets and don't let the defense set up if that is possible on particular plays.
Glad I wasn't the only one to notice this. Our guys are SO SLOW to grab the ball and inbound it after a made shot. Best way to beat the press is to get the ball moving before the pressing team has a chance to get set. It seems like our guys make the choice to give them all the time they need to get into position.

Reaction Score
Glad I wasn't the only one to notice this. Our guys are SO SLOW to grab the ball and inbound it after a made shot. Best way to beat the press is to get the ball moving before the pressing team has a chance to get set. It seems like our guys make the choice to give them all the time they need to get into position.
Hope Hurley read this.

;)

Reaction Score
This is definitely a VCU type game. Two keys to the game: Limit turnovers to 10-15 max and hit at least 10 3s. WVU is #2 at forcing turnovers % wise (we're 28th) so yeah, ugly rock fight again.

For comparison purposes, we only hit 2 3s vs Mich State but had only 9 turnovers and vs VCU it was 7 3s but 22 turnovers. Marquette had 12 3s and 13 turnovers in their win over West Va.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom