West Virginia Formally Invited To Join Big 12 | The Boneyard

West Virginia Formally Invited To Join Big 12

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
WVU makes 11 as of now for the Big 12...with Missouri expected to leave for the SEC....makes 10. The article says that the Big 12 will stay at that number...whether they mean that is another thing. If so....Louisville and BYU won't enter. Louisville staying in the BE is a good thing. Pitino talks about adding Memphis and Temple for hoops....both would help there. If for some reason Missouri stays in the Big 12 then I bet either BYU or Louisville would be invited....probably Louisville as they would make a nice 'traveling partner' with WVU.

I get the idea that Houston probably will join the BE for all sports and that thre is a somewhat realistic shot to get Boise State for football only.
Those two would really help football and might be enough to keep the BCS bid for the league.

Having said that....I think the best place for UConn is the ACC....both for us and for that league.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Doesn't matter what formally happened, what is happening now! :D

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Really a shame the football team is having a bad year and don't see it getting better until the get a QB. Randy left at a good time as besides the defense, the cupboard is bare. As long as the other conferences are in realignment mode and questions exists about the Big East, recruits won't sign. I wonder if the ACC is really interested in the UConn football program.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I have always regarded the ACC as a 'basketball' conference...with many or most of the schools having that sport as priority #1. That is exactly the situation in Storrs. Our football situation doesn't help us at this point but the on-campus facility is gorgeous and there is potential. Adding a top 5 national men's program [at worst] and THE dominant program in women's ball would add some sizzle to the ACC basketball scene.

Frankly both Miami and Florida State [clearly with football as #1 priority....football recruiting as #2.....spring football as #3] strike me as more SEC-type schools. I wouldn't be shocked if the SEC grabbed those two and that would open up 2 ACC spots even if they don't expand beyond that

WVU says it wants to go Big 12 in July 2012. Big East says '27 months....like you signed for'. Fight! Fight!

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
BTW: I saw a mention on ESPN that the BE will be inviting Houston, Central Florida and SMU for all sports next week. I am guessing that if they are going public with this that they are pretty sure the invitations will be accepted.

There was no mention of Boise State, Air Force or Navy getting bids....football only. I suspect that means either:

1: negotiations are still ongoing with each of them.
2: each school has told the BE that they would reject a bid if offered.

Adding Houston, SMU and Central Florida is not the worst thing in the world for the conference. Texas traveling partners for the 2 of them....and Central Florida and South Florida the same.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Sorry, Blake I just think they will only be a bandaid on an ugly infection that needs completely excised or the infection will spread.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Can we name a single directional school that is in a bcs conference? USC does not count.

Reaction Score

This will probably be a relief to Mother Carey's Chickens. Won't have to face UConn and Notre Dame too much longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom