West Coast Trip Thread - UC Davis 3/10 @5P ET, 3/11 & 3/12 @4P ET & Santa Clara 3/14 @9p ET | Page 4 | The Boneyard

West Coast Trip Thread - UC Davis 3/10 @5P ET, 3/11 & 3/12 @4P ET & Santa Clara 3/14 @9p ET

Reaction Score
Trying to pay attention to two games at once is difficult, but basketball game is sure getting ugly.

Montgomerie just picked up his 10th strikeout. 9-4 lead going top of the 8th.

Reaction Score
Dandeneau having all sorts of problems. Allows a run on a balk, and leaves the game with two runners on and one out. Rossomando coming in.

Reaction Score
14 strikeouts by UConn pitchers today. It may not be 20, but it is still over half the outs in a game.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
We lead the country in strikeouts per game. Considering defense is this team's weakness (the bullpen isn't too good but is the 2015 Yankees compared to others in college baseball), striking everyone out is a good idea.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I think Russell has done a great job closing. I am not so worried about him or Radue at this point. We get a few more relievers to get going and then I think we will have a good bullpen.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Ronnie might be pretty damn good too by the end of the year. He just needs somewhat better command.

In other scores from around the country, Holy Cross won at USC - which probably isn't even a major upset at this point with the trojan program being in shambles -- and Seton Hall split two great games at Florida.

Reaction Score
Dandeneau had a bad time of it today, but overall he has been quite reliable. So has Rajkowski as well. The thing is they are not going to be perfect every time out. Based on how good Rossomando was out of the bullpen in the Cape league last summer, I expect that he will get better as the season progresses.

Reaction Score
Right now for the bullpen Penders has been relying heavily on the foursome of Radue, Rajkowski, Dandeneau, and Russell. These guys have been reliable for the most part. Penders has also given some time to Rossomando, trying to break him into this group as well. Jacob Wallace has gotten some time as well.

One thing that will help the bullpen is when the starting rotation settles out and starts to give a consistent 6 or so innings a start, and leave the bullpen less taxed. Domnarski's quick demise as a weekend starter and Tim Cate's injury have added to the bullpen load. Mason Feole has been giving a solid set of innings as the Sunday starter in place of Domnarski. Next, the return of Tim Cate is needed, not only in terms of quality but in the quantity of innings pitched. Poulin and Nepiarsky each went about 3 innings when they started for Cate, not to mention the shortened start when Cate had to leave the Texas game early.

Reaction Score
I don't get why Penders won't try Zapata in a bullpen role. I've heard a few of you say Penders doesn't believe he's a bullpen pitcher. If he's going to take a roster spot why not try to get production out of him rather than keep him as a 7th starter that will never be used. From what I understand he was hyped up as a better prospect than Kay when they came to UCONN.

Last year I noticed another reason the bullpen gets taxed is Penders buys a little bit too much into lefty-lefty/righty-righty matchups. Doug was one of the most reliable arms out of the bullpen last year yet there were many games where he threw to only 1 batter.

Reaction Score
I don't get why Penders won't try Zapata in a bullpen role. I've heard a few of you say Penders doesn't believe he's a bullpen pitcher. If he's going to take a roster spot why not try to get production out of him rather than keep him as a 7th starter that will never be used. From what I understand he was hyped up as a better prospect than Kay when they came to UCONN.

Last year I noticed another reason the bullpen gets taxed is Penders buys a little bit too much into lefty-lefty/righty-righty matchups. Doug was one of the most reliable arms out of the bullpen last year yet there were many games where he threw to only 1 batter.

Kay, Ruotolo, and Zapata were all very much hyped freshmen pitchers who would contribute immediately when they arrived at UConn. Kay and Ruotolo lived up to their promise. Meanwhile, Zapata's baseball career at UConn has gone in the opposite direction, to the point where I was a little surprised that he actually made the team for this spring season.

Reaction Score
Zapata may prove to be a capable midweek starter. You never know...

Penders has started Domnarski, Nepiarsky, Poulin and Feole over him. I'd say it's highly unlikely.

Zapata has struggled with control and composure throughout his UConn career, and has always had a tough time going 5 innings or more in his starts. He always seems good for hitting the odd batter or giving up wild pitches. Wills Montgomerie had these problems as well, but progressed beyond that toward the end of last season. Zapata never made that jump. He was pretty much the main weekday for UConn his first two seasons, but things really changed for him in 2016. Last season Zapata was a weekend starter for the first two weekends, and then got bounced in favor of Rossomando. Zapata then started 3 games in the midweek in March before losing that assignment. He did resurface in May with a couple of starts, but the overall tone of it all seemed to be that Penders simply got tired of watching him continually struggle on the mound. I get the feeling that Penders is going to go through all his options before giving Zapata another shot at starting.

Reaction Score

The coaching staff in interviews has been talking about Kenny Bergmann's hitting ability. While I don't expect him to do much catching this season with Susi and LeFevre ahead of him, I've been waiting for Bergmann to get a chance to DH. John Toppa hasn't been tearing the cover off the ball with his hitting, so Bergmann gets a shot.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom