Werth Basketball Facility Plaza Redesign Proposed | The Boneyard

Werth Basketball Facility Plaza Redesign Proposed

Reaction Score
IMG_5932.jpeg

Redesign of the Werth Basketball Facility Plaza with statues of Calhoun and Geno is in the planning stage. Also landscape improvements with statues and monuments to other portions of the athletic village are in the planning stages.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
View attachment 103485
Redesign of the Werth Basketball Facility Plaza with statues of Calhoun and Geno is in the planning stage. Also landscape improvements with statues and monuments to other portions of the athletic village are in the planning stages.
Obviously, they're trying to get this knocked out before Hurley wins his third and they'll have to pony up for a third statue.

Also, do you have a link for this?

Oh and for what it's worth, I kind of feel like there should be a statue for Chris Daley as well.

Maybe something like this?
IMG_4352.jpeg

Although a more accurate one would be something like this:
IMG_4353.jpeg

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Would a Randy Edsall statue be better?
Lol. AD department has a structural deficit if $40m and they are going to do a beautifying project in front of an area of campus that few people go to? Put it in the middle of campus.

Better yet, but it towards hoops NIL.

I mean, Jim and Geno statues, while they are alive, is a bit much.

Regardless, all for the gampel improvements. You have to maintain the building.

Reaction Score
It’s pretty eye popping the amount of $$ being spent on campus. A couple years ago they opened a $220 million Science 1 Building which is very elaborate with clean rooms (currently not being used). Now they just built a $205 million dorm that has 657 beds. That comes in at a price of just $312,000 per bed. You can’t tell me there isn’t incredible bloat in these projects. If I can build a 1500 square foot house from scratch for $300K, surely a room shared by 2 people in a large dorm style building shouldn’t cost over $600K.

Don’t get me wrong, I love my Alma mater and want to see the school thrive but they literally have mastered lighting money on fire. And we’re all sitting around complaining about an athletic deficit of $40 million which is just lost in the noise with a lot of this other stuff.

Reaction Score
It’s pretty eye popping the amount of $$ being spent on campus. A couple years ago they opened a $220 million Science 1 Building which is very elaborate with clean rooms (currently not being used). Now they just built a $205 million dorm that has 657 beds. That comes in at a price of just $312,000 per bed. You can’t tell me there isn’t incredible bloat in these projects. If I can build a 1500 square foot house from scratch for $300K, surely a room shared by 2 people in a large dorm style building shouldn’t cost over $600K.

Don’t get me wrong, I love my Alma mater and want to see the school thrive but they literally have mastered lighting money on fire. And we’re all sitting around complaining about an athletic deficit of $40 million which is just lost in the noise with a lot of this other stuff.
In fairness, operating expenses vs capex is different. I think the buildings are necessary. At least it has a useful life.

I will always be fore infrastructure that improves the school/students educational experience.

Not sure if a Jim statue is it, but to each their own

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is something you do after everything else (ie the important stuff) is taken care of

Reaction Score
Whatever they do , please don’t use the same sculptor that made the Nick Saben statue at Bama.

Reaction Score
Jim Calhoun and Geno statues belong in the yards of CT sports writers. I jest, but those guys created careers in sports for guys like me.

Kid from CT. Wanted to be sports writer from new Britain, I don’t get anywhere close to what I have done, living in state, unless those guys exist.

So, geno statue goes in my mom’s yard and Jim statue in my front yard. Literally made my career. Lol.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Wasn't that place just built a few years ago?

Reaction Score
Reaction Score

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
I always thought it would have been a good idea to rename entrances to Gampel after Calhoun and Geno with a statue at each one
JC has his own road already so an entrance might be overkill. Not sure if there is a Geno Way, but he should have something. I like the idea of statues for both as long as they are done correctly and not like the Allen Iverson statue outside the Sixers practice facility that looks like it can fit in the palm of your hand.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Would rather have them build another dorm so every late August UConn doesn't have 6 kids to a room or sleeping in the field house etc.
But the state spends its money like a drunken sailor so what's the use in talking about it

Reaction Score
Statues seem like they should be reserved for the purely elite. You don't want a courtyard full of statues, that's a little eerie. Perhaps more like a Monument Park with Plaques.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HowlingDawg

Top Bottom